Author Topic: Thoughts on these grills?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Thoughts on these grills?
« Reply #-1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
I have been looking (way ahead of time) at new grills for when I move. I want to de-clutter and have more built in/drop in grills. My current line up is a Big Steel Keg 2000, a BBQ's Galore Turbo STS Natural Gas with Rotisserie Drop In, a Brinkmann Drop In Natural Gas Side Burner - all in an island. Surrounding those, in various locations are a Traeger Pellet Grill, a Smokin-It #3, a Pit Boss Pellet Grill, a Pit Barrel Cooker, my first Keg (Big Steel Keg 4000) and above all of that, on the deck, is my wife's Broil King Keg 5000 in a Keg Grilling Cabinet. So.....I want to shed some grills and go with an island that will house a Primo Oval XL, a Drop In Gasser and side burner and maybe a searer, my Smokin-It #3 and I'd love to have a drop in pellet grill but the only ones I see are from Memphis Grills and they are not exactly cheap! I will leave the Keg 2000 behind in the island when I move, along with the drop in gasser and side burner. I would sell the Keg 4000, Traeger, Pitboss and Pit Barrel Cooker and retain the Keg 5000. I actually wouldn't mind having a drop in Santa Maria Grill as well ;)

My question is this. What do you all think of Primos? What about Memphis Pellet Grills? If you know of another brand of drop in pellet grill, that would be good info too!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Hub

Re: Thoughts on these grills?
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »
I've been a Memphis owner for many years.  There's a reason they aren't cheap -- they aren't cheap.  They last and last and last and have phenomenal customer service.  Made in the U.S.A. out of good stuff, the way stuff should be made.  My Memphis isn't the only cooker I own but if I could have only one cooker my Memphis would get the job done. 

I understand what you're aiming for here.  Hope you get the balance you're after  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »
With what you've thrown out on th table... It sounds like you are gonna end up w/ a sweet setup.  Although I have never cooked on a Primo XL, I do own a Kamado Joe Big Joe. Comparing it to a keg (size and being ceramic), I have a pretty good hunch that you'd LOVE an XL ceramic kamado! I have seen the Primo's in person and they are NICE!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
I've been a Memphis owner for many years.  There's a reason they aren't cheap -- they aren't cheap.  They last and last and last and have phenomenal customer service.  Made in the U.S.A. out of good stuff, the way stuff should be made.  My Memphis isn't the only cooker I own but if I could have only one cooker my Memphis would get the job done. 

I understand what you're aiming for here.  Hope you get the balance you're after  ;D

Hub

As Hub said they are expensive for a reason. Their drop-in pellet grills are not only made with the highest quality metal they are simply beautiful.

I have seen other pellet grills be modified to fit like a drop-in unit. And cooking islands built to have a standard pellet grill fit into the island. That is another option too.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
As a former owner of a Primo XL ( had to get rid of it last time i moved ) it truly is the King of Ceramics. The available space especially with the upper racks and the ability to do true indirect on a ceramic makes it the king. Overall build quality was good I opted for the cheaper cart that Primo offers, it's junk the casters couldn't handle the weight and had to be replaced with beefier ones within a year. Good luck, Im also waiting for the day when I know where I'm going to to be living and have the opportunity to build my ultimate outdoor kitchen / grilling area  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
I sell Memphis and primos.  Both are top of the line when it comes to grills. I my opinion the primo it the best kamado because you can divide the fire box and is oblong.  Great for cooking ribs and briskets.  Memphis grills are one of the top two pellet grills on the market.  My elite I can get to 900°.  I can sear a steak.  They have great smoke output and are a gem to look at.  I love my Memphis.  Only the elite and pro are for built-in purposes. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
The Good One offers a couple of drop in models if you are interested in a charcoal smoker/grill

http://thegood-one.com/the-open-range-kitchen-model/

http://thegood-one.com/smokers-grills/the-good-one-kitchen-models-2/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »
Looks like the Mak 3 star can be a drop in as well. Lot of money, but crazy good looking
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
The Good One offers a couple of drop in models if you are interested in a charcoal smoker/grill

http://thegood-one.com/the-open-range-kitchen-model/

http://thegood-one.com/smokers-grills/the-good-one-kitchen-models-2/
If I wasn't planning on downsizing in a couple years I'd build an outdoor kitchen with that good one as a center piece!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
Video is older but it shows a pork butt challenge between the Primo and The Good One. Both rose to the occasion......no surprise...these are two outstanding pits

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcc6P5ZRXh2oADdsnnIlQ?p=the+good+one+patio+jr&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002#id=3&vid=27142d1bdf5822caf1014d3e51a2a21e&action=view
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
MAK...2 STAR ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
I was thinking about a Kamado Joe but I already have 3 round Kamados, lol. I figured if I got another, I'd go with a Primo XL. I really wasn't thinking about it until this Cajun fella I know started talking to me about getting one at a good deal :P

I like the idea of it being oval for ribs, briskets and such even though I can cook them already on my Kegs. What I really like about it is that I can do 2 zone cooking, I love that! It doesn't hurt that it's made in America either. I'll have to look into the Maks. Thanks for the input guys! I knew I could count on y'all!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
RG you must have to take inventory weekly!  I would love to see your setup ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill