Author Topic: Football Eats - Whatcha Cookin' For Game Day?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Football Eats - Whatcha Cookin' For Game Day?
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »
Whether or not you're a College Football or NFL fan or both, I am sure most of us cook up some tasty vittles on game day. It's opening day for my Falcons this Sunday and Steph and I are having over a few friends to watch the game in the man cave. I normally do a REAL big cook and normally invite many more people than I am this weekend. In the past I would cook ABTs. Moinks, a big Boston butt, a whole packer brisket, mac & cheese, baked beans, coleslaw, red potato salad, Brunswick stew (a Southern thing, lol) and I would bake up about 35 chocolate chunk and 35 white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. I would wear myself out doing all of this and would be too tired to even eat. I'd watch the game and after everyone had their fill, I'd make a small plate.

This year, I am scaling back. For Sunday's game I am only having 7 or so people over other than Steph and I and our son. So......I am not cooking for an army this round, lol. We decided on a finger food menu, no BBQ this round. I am setting up a "Build Your Own Nacho" bar. I have a little 3-pot crock pot that will have chipotle chicken, smoked brisket and the last one will have homemade queso (cheese dip). There will also be seasoned black beans in another crock pot. I have a 6 compartment cold condiment server that will contain homemade salsa, black olives, pico, jalapenos, fresh shredded cheddar and monterey jack. On the side will be squeezable sour cream and a red taco sauce.

On top of that we're going to make ABTs, smoked wings and some Moinks. The plan is to put as much of those as I can into a Roaster Oven to keep warm. I am going to have probably 2 Kegs going along with the Traeger. The brisket is left over from when I did the SI vs KBQ comparison cook. Everything else will be made fresh. I'll try to snap some pictures before the vultures feed, lol!

So what are y'all cookinig?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Football Eats - Whatcha Cookin' For Game Day?
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
NFL Blocks Cowboys From Honoring Dallas Cops With Helmet Decal

NFL Banning the National Anthem in 2017

As much as I will miss my Packers I will boycott NFL and it's sponsors if this happens.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:22 AM »
While not exactly the response I was looking for, I do appreciate at least one reply out of (at the current time) 17 views! LOL ;D
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:42 AM »
That "little" spread sounds like a pretty big deal to me.  Is a lot of that food something you can prep a day or 2 in advance?  We would have to get up before breakfast to have that ready by noon.
Does your employment history include several years spent in restaurants? 

B T W, did I mention we'll be cooking a pig
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
May do some burgers here, long time no beef.

What kind of cheese do you use for the queso dip?  We've tried making our own, usually ends up too runny or lumpy.  The local Mexican place has good dip but it's watery until it cools down a little.  You use White American or Monterey Jack?  Got a recipe and technique to share?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
Jaxon, no history in the restaurant business outside of working for McDonalds when I was 15 and Village Inn Pizza when I was in High school and then a pizza delivery guy at Dominos, lol. I will prep some stuff today like the ABTs and Moinks. Steph will make some salsa today I imagine and I'll make my BBQ sauce for the moinks today. I will wake up tomorrow morning and smoke the ABTs and Moinks on 2 of the Kegs and chipotle chicken will be put on the KBQ probably and the wings on the Traeger. The gasser will be used if need be for a holding station/warming oven, lol. The queso will be made in the morning as well. It'll all come together fairly easily. I told Steph that I want it ALL ready to go when they get here. I don't want to be hovering around a grill or smoker while the game is on. We'll see how that pans out, lol.

Bama, we make the recipe Kyle posted on the Keg forum and it turned out really nice so we have stuck with it. I'll find the link, let me go look..........here it is! http://www.seededatthetable.com/2011/11/30/queso-blanco-dip-the-second-and-final-attempt/

Speaking of Kmatt, he needs to show up over here and post ;)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 10:21:35 AM »
Got my Steelers on first and then with our Rams back, gonna watch the second game. Was going to do brats.......however, the golf course and restaurant just got new owners so they are doing a free spaghetti dinner with 5 dollar pitchers of beer for the Monday Night opener.......so ghetti and suds it is  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
Pig Shots

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
I have a rack of ribs going and going to do them Chinese style to keep the current theme going. I am with Savannahsmoker it this continues I will not be watching the NFL this year.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:56:30 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
You guys are doing a proper job! All of it sounds delicious!

As for the NFL politics. Yeah, they leave a lot to be desired BUT with that said, they are exercising a freedom that all of us are allowed. Free Speech and all that goes along with that. We are all entitled to have our opinions. I don't like their stance but they have a right to have it.

That's as deep as you'll EVER see me get into politics on a BBQ forum though, no offense intended to anyone of course.

So, as for my check list for today I've got about 40 moinks prepped, about the same in ABTs. My Chipotle Beer BBQ sauce is done. Stephanie made a batch of salsa using smoked veggies and we liked it SO much (taste testing) I told her to make another batch! She currently has veggies on the Traeger on smoke mode getting 2 hours of tasty smoke! All that's left for today is to marinate the chicken breast in blended chipotles in adobo then smoke them in the morning.

I tell ya, my guests have NO IDEA how good they have it, lol ;) :P

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
Well folks, yesterday came and went. The Falcons lost. I've learned to accept that, lol. I know it's not supposed to be that way but I go into each game thinking we'll lose by default. When we win, it's a nice surprise and makes it seem even better, lol. As for the food, it all came out great but as usual, we were too busy getting everything in order to take pictures. Steph took some pics of the ABTs and salsa but that was as far as it got :P

Maybe she'll post what she has, I have nothing!