Author Topic: Funny how things go in this great country  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Re: Funny how things go in this great country
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:48 PM »
I thought this was a food forum.  Well, maybe there is something being cooked. (emoji of your choice goes here)

Your right! This is a food forum! It's hard not to keep going when we talk politics, I'm guilty of just that! :D

It is also a free country! This is a break for the moment

Okay, I want to talk food as our forum guidelines indicates, but if no moderator feels obliged to put this thread where it belongs I will add this as my "observation".  The cherry-picked polls the “biased” media used usually showed Clinton with a majority of the popular vote.  Well, guess what, she got the majority of the popular vote.  It is the second time in my life that the candidate with the most popular votes lost the election.  By its most basic definition, our democracy is not real; your vote doesn’t count and that has been proven now 5 times in our history.  So do with it as you wish.  But let's talk food.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
The United States is a Republic as was first use by the Greeks.
Those that go back to the day when Pledge of Allegiance was still recited in schools will remember:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
I thought this was a food forum.  Well, maybe there is something being cooked. (emoji of your choice goes here)

Your right! This is a food forum! It's hard not to keep going when we talk politics, I'm guilty of just that! :D

It is also a free country! This is a break for the moment

Okay, I want to talk food as our forum guidelines indicates, but if no moderator feels obliged to put this thread where it belongs I will add this as my "observation".  The cherry-picked polls the “biased” media used usually showed Clinton with a majority of the popular vote.  Well, guess what, she got the majority of the popular vote.  It is the second time in my life that the candidate with the most popular votes lost the election.  By its most basic definition, our democracy is not real; your vote doesn’t count and that has been proven now 5 times in our history.  So do with it as you wish.  But let's talk food.

Both candidates campaigned in the swing states that were up for grabs using the Electoral college. That is what wins elections not the popular vote. Has always been that way.

Not once did I see a commercial here in California for either candidate. Why is that? Hillary did not need to because she has the state locked in with electorial college votes. Trump would not gain enough votes to get the Electoral college share.

There were polls that had Hillary up by 12 points. Obviously that was not the case. One poll had Trump ahead by 5 points and then had him with 180 Electoral votes and Hillary with over 300. Again not even accurate.

Obama got 66 million votes. Neither Trump nor Hillary got that many. That means that many people who showed up for Obama did not show up for Clinton.

She did not inspire people to get out to vote like he did.

Get rid of the Electoral College and then the candidates will campaign for all the votes in all the states. Otherwise this is how our system works.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »
The United States is a Republic as was first use by the Greeks.
Those that go back to the day when Pledge of Allegiance was still recited in schools will remember:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Not sure what this has to do with the current thread but it's actually "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.  At least, that is what I used to say every morning.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »
Get rid of the Electoral College and then the candidates will campaign for all the votes in all the states. Otherwise this is how our system works.
The Electoral College is part of a Republic type of government.
To change that would require an amendment to the Constitution ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States).  The states are the overall approval becasue the United States is a Republic which is made of supposedly Self Governing States.

PS.  As many I am not in favor of the Electoral College because in most cases it they are party hacks.
I am in favor of the Republic where states govern themselves without being sod ridden by the Federal Government.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:03:16 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 11:43:05 PM »
OK enough guys back to BBQ!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 12:24:04 AM »
OK enough guys back to BBQ!!! Don
I agree Don, so I am happily out. :)
Art

The Big Easy

Offline stalag

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 04:04:48 AM »
The Electoral College is part of a Republic type of government.
To change that would require an amendment to the Constitution ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States).  The states are the overall approval becasue the United States is a Republic which is made of supposedly Self Governing States.

PS.  As many I am not in favor of the Electoral College because in most cases it they are party hacks.
I am in favor of the Republic where states govern themselves without being sod ridden by the Federal Government.

The electoral college and the senate are the only points currently that counterbalance the needs of the small states against those of the larger states in population.  The electoral college is the only thing that forces a president to run in all the country.  If you have enough people in one state of a certain suasion and that state is huge it would wag the dog if the vote was popular alone.  I actually think also that the electoral college can act as a pressure valve.   An interesting read on the electoral college and its intent would be found in the Federalist letters.  One should read those before making a knee jerk statement about disbanding the electoral college.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
Okay everyone, I believe this thread as run it's course. I believe in the First Amendment and I also believe everyone has the right to state their opinion.  But as pointed out towards the end of this thread we are a food forum and as such I think it is time we got back to discussing food related items. Therefore I am locking this thread for any further posts.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles