Author Topic: Another grill?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Another grill?
« Reply #-1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
Maybe. I know, I know.......I have a sickness. Always searching for a grill to add to the collection. In the past I've had friends buy flat top griddles and at one time my wife wanted one as well. Now, I am looking at them and she doesn't want it, lol. Isn't that the way it goes? I initially started looking at Blackstone 36" grills but then my focus shifted to the 4 burner Camp Chef. Normally $100.00 more I found it on sale with free shipping for the same price. It's supposed to be a much better grill. I have it my shopping cart, just haven't completed the transaction yet. I don't need it, I just want it :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Another grill?
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
I have had my Blackstone 36" for 4 years and it is used a bunch. I would be shocked if the Camp Chef version is that much better.  Either way, griddle cooking is a whole bunch of fun..............and tasty too  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Another grill?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
I like my 36 inch Blackstone. I don't use it a lot, but when I do I like it. The grease solution on mine is not a great design. They tried too hard. Should of kept it simple. But it is well made. Rust can be an issue on the top. Just FYI
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »
Don't have either RG, but have researching like you and I will pull the trigger at some time most likely for the Camp Chef, overall it's just better! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
Smoke, from what I've gathered the Camp Chef is sturdier, has 2 shelves instead of one (under the grill that is), each burner ignites individually, grease trough/trap is deeper and actually diverts grease to tray instead of leaking down leg of grill, has both griddle and grill grates. That's about the bulk of what I recall. I don't have experience with either so I am just going off what I've read and video reviews.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
Smoke, from what I've gathered the Camp Chef is sturdier, has 2 shelves instead of one (under the grill that is), each burner ignites individually, grease trough/trap is deeper and actually diverts grease to tray instead of leaking down leg of grill, has both griddle and grill grates. That's about the bulk of what I recall. I don't have experience with either so I am just going off what I've read and video reviews.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
Camp Chef is better from all I have researched we are very close to pulling the trigger the Wife really wants its for Florida is going to cook with it in the Lanai  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pappymn

Another grill?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
The Blackstone is designed to be portable, so the legs collapse. That does effect its rigidity.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »
The Blackstone is designed to be portable, so the legs collapse. That does effect its rigidity.

What is nice about the Blackstone is the variety. They have the 4 burner the 2 Burner and the stainless Steel model. Lots of options and they tend to go on sale quite often. It's a hard decision to make, but unless I find a deal I can't pass up, I'll probably go with the Camp Chef
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pappymn

Another grill?
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 10:22:11 PM »
I don't know why Blackstone and camp chef have that grease design. When you look at restaurant griddles they all have a similar and simple design. A hole in the griddle top and a catch container below. Dead simple. I did see that the new counter top griddle from Blackstone has this type of design.

The Blackstone is bigger, but how often have I ever needed that much room? Once. Camp chef looks like a really nice unit. I most likely would have bought it had I known they had one. Collapsing legs is not a feature I will ever use.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:01 PM »
I don't know why Blackstone and camp chef have that grease design. When you look at restaurant griddles they all have a similar and simple design. A hole in the griddle top and a catch container below. Dead simple. I did see that the new counter top griddle from Blackstone has this type of design.

The Blackstone is bigger, but how often have I ever needed that much room? Once. Camp chef looks like a really nice unit. I most likely would have bought it had I known they had one. Collapsing legs is not a feature I will ever use.

I'm still sitting on the fence, nice thing about the camp chef is the fact that it comes as a griddle and grill. I believe the grill is an accessory for the Blackstone although the price thing may bring me back to the Blackstone.  Time will tell...
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Boys (and girls) and their toys. Gotta love it!!

Until I "reduce" my current inventory of cooking appliances, my CFO is not approving any new purchases.  Oh, well.  I do, however, have a gift certificate to spend with Adrenaline Barbecue.  I want to add the new drip pan.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Boys (and girls) and their toys. Gotta love it!!

Until I "reduce" my current inventory of cooking appliances, my CFO is not approving any new purchases.  Oh, well.  I do, however, have a gift certificate to spend with Adrenaline Barbecue.  I want to add the new drip pan.

Art

I am in the same boat but in my case I want that 23 foot fishing boat first ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
https://www.littlegriddle.com/products/sq-180-sizzle-q-stainless-steel-bbq-griddle

Since I tailgate, travel & homegate ;) ;) I wanted something portable & that would not take up space in my truck. (the little griddle)

I have only used this three times twice tailgating & once at home.....It fits my large hitch mounted tailgating grill & my Sears gas grill with room left over to cook things on the side of the griddle.

The nice thing is that they make different sizes even round so you can pick one for your needs.

What I do for the grease trap is to take paper towels & soak them before putting them into the grease area. When I am finished I remove the towels & toss them. It makes cleanup so easy. Just make sure the towels stay wet.

I really think the only thing is you may lose a few BTU's because it is a second piece over your grill. I can't say for sure but it must not be as hot per BTU. I need to use it more  Right? ???

It has worked well for me the three times.....It short it is what the Doctor ordered for me.......good size, cheap (on sale) & very portable & takes up little space........It is also well made?

Again, if you need larger go larger.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
Rg all you need too do is push that little button on the screen.....it will be quick ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill