Author Topic: Best BBQ???  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Hub

Best BBQ???
« Reply #-1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »
I've got a bone to pick (pun intended) with the author about a couple of statements in this article but I have to admit he brings up some interesting points about the uniqueness of barbeque "cuisine" compared to other foods.  Enjoy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/10/19/the-worlds-best-barbecue-really/

You can bypass the commercial on the front end after a couple of seconds.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Best BBQ???
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
I read the article. So Hub what are your disagreements?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
Interesting article.  My experience as a KCBS judge is that you occasionally get some good chicken, ribs, pulled pork or brisket, not all at once.  Since it is blind judging, you don't know who submitted that really off-the-charts, pick one, (chicken, ribs, pulled pork or brisket).  It is still fun to judge, but I don't go there to eat.  In fact, I only "taste" each entry.  Every now and then I will go back and have another taste because it was so good.  Aftrer a day of judging, I have had enough BBQ for a while.

Art   
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Sloman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
Interesting article Hub!  I like the Golf analogy, and have used it myself to describe what Pelletheads, Toddler and Bil did this year.  For those of you here that don't know the story, they qualified for the Royal when Team Pelletheads won a small competition in North Carolina.  It was their first competition!!  They proceeded to go out to the Royal  and place 3rd in Ribs.  This could be compared to winning a local U.S. Open qualifier, then going to the open and playing against all the greatest in the World and beating all but 2.  Oh, and then just to show it was no fluke, they went to the Masters (Jack) and finished 6th.  Pretty amazing actually

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »
What is the best BBQ?

My friend, Samuel Jones,  who's family owns the world famous Skylight Inn, was ask just this at a Southern Food Alliance event. He didn't reply as one would think, "The Skylight Inn", but replied, "The Best BBQ would be the BBQ you grew up eating".  How true. 

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
Interesting article Hub!  I like the Golf analogy, and have used it myself to describe what Pelletheads, Toddler and Bil did this year.  For those of you here that don't know the story, they qualified for the Royal when Team Pelletheads won a small competition in North Carolina.  It was their first competition!!  They proceeded to go out to the Royal  and place 3rd in Ribs.  This could be compared to winning a local U.S. Open qualifier, then going to the open and playing against all the greatest in the World and beating all but 2.  Oh, and then just to show it was no fluke, they went to the Masters (Jack) and finished 6th.  Pretty amazing actually

Don't forget Billy Merrill and his "money muscle"! ;D   OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »

My main disagreement is that contest barbeque is the best.  It IS mighty good most of the time but tends to have its own style that has evolved over the years.  As a general rule (there are exceptions) contest barbeque is better than restaurant barbecue, but, often, home style or "backyard" is best because it has the fewest restrictions placed upon its creation.

As I've said before, somebody with megabucks cookers and a huge grocery budget MIGHT turn out inedible chow while somebody with the most modest equipment and a chunk of critter from Wal Mart produces manna from heaven.  In short, a good cook is the most important ingredient in good barbecue!!!

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:32 AM »
  Aftrer a day of judging, I have had enough BBQ for a while.

Amen, Art.  An evening trip to the Chinese buffet in Denver, NC is my most common solution to Saturday afternoon BBQ poisoning.  A big dose of MSG, some fryer oil, and a fortune cookie that tells me I am going to achieve wealth and happiness sort of resets my system back to pre-contest status.

Hub
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:56:27 AM by Hub »
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

My main disagreement is that contest barbeque is the best.  It IS mighty good most of the time but tends to have its own style that has evolved over the years.  As a general rule (there are exceptions) contest barbeque is better than restaurant barbecue, but, often, home style or "backyard" is best because it has the fewest restrictions placed upon its creation.

As I've said before, somebody with megabucks cookers and a huge grocery budget MIGHT turn out inedible chow while somebody with the most modest equipment and a chunk of critter from Wal Mart produces manna from heaven.  In short, a good cook is the most important ingredient in good barbecue!!!

Hub

That is what I thought you had a problem with.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

Hub

1+  ;D
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas
Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit Charcoal Smoker & Grill
Barbeques Galore Capt'N Cook Endeavour Propane 3 Burner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

Hub

1+  ;D

2+  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
+3

There's just nothing like great BBQ cooked in your own back yard, and the good times with friends & family that goes along with it!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68