Author Topic: Well, she's broken in...and I'm in love!!!  (Read 2326 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Well, she's broken in...and I'm in love!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
Those ribs look killer! That baby is a doll too :)

As for spritzing, I am a spritzer as well. I use apple juice and acv sometimes but mostly just water and acv. I spritz everything with it when I cook on the KBQ. Butts, beef ribs, briskets, all of it. I also wrap too (pork ribs in foil, beef ribs get butcher paper as does brisket) so go figure. We all have our ways, none better than the other. Just personal preference.

What I would like is that BBQ sauce recipe though, it made those ribs look like competition ribs!

**EDIT** I just googled that sauce and found out it's a bottled sauce. Shoot!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

Well, she's broken in...and I'm in love!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
Received my new 2 Star last week. It's been a crazy week, we moved into a new home, only to be topped off with my wife breaking her shoulder.  With things calm this morning... the inaugural cook could not have gone any better. St Louis spares, low n slow for 7 hours. Spritzed every hour w/ cider vinegar and apple juice. Finished off with MAK's own Rum Sauce. Oh my!!! Even our PICKY lil one was lovin' lunch today :)

See, now I'm  wavering.  Based on comments here, and other forums, I had just about decided to give up on spritzing.

Now I see your results, and I'm thinking of giving it another shot and hoping for your result ! ! !

BD
Why give up on spritzing? I didn't wrap these ribs during the cook. I do not like dry ribs and I do not like wrapping (lazy). Spritzing pretty much guarantees a moist end product IMO.

I like to spritz with apple juice - no cider. May try the cider add...what ratio do you like?
And...Something else that is a little "trick" is to spray a very light amount of Pam on them. The oil helps to slow evaporate of water moisture - or so it seems.

tee, how often do you spray with Pam?

RWalters, that is one precious sweetie! Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery.
Tee gives himself a quick spray with Pam in the morning, and right after each bowel movement. Cuts down on chafing.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Subvet

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
pappy, That is the post of the century! ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:44:47 PM by Subvet »
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
Slide a rack my way!
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline rwalters

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
Those ribs look killer! That baby is a doll too :)

As for spritzing, I am a spritzer as well. I use apple juice and acv sometimes but mostly just water and acv. I spritz everything with it when I cook on the KBQ. Butts, beef ribs, briskets, all of it. I also wrap too (pork ribs in foil, beef ribs get butcher paper as does brisket) so go figure. We all have our ways, none better than the other. Just personal preference.

What I would like is that BBQ sauce recipe though, it made those ribs look like competition ribs!

**EDIT** I just googled that sauce and found out it's a bottled sauce. Shoot!
Yep, ole bottled sauce. Rarely make my own anymore as there are a number of store bought brands that I really like.

Forgot to mention, the ribs were rubbed and refrigerated overnight with Texas Original Rub. Good stuff!!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
Received my new 2 Star last week. It's been a crazy week, we moved into a new home, only to be topped off with my wife breaking her shoulder.  With things calm this morning... the inaugural cook could not have gone any better. St Louis spares, low n slow for 7 hours. Spritzed every hour w/ cider vinegar and apple juice. Finished off with MAK's own Rum Sauce. Oh my!!! Even our PICKY lil one was lovin' lunch today :)

See, now I'm  wavering.  Based on comments here, and other forums, I had just about decided to give up on spritzing.

Now I see your results, and I'm thinking of giving it another shot and hoping for your result ! ! !

BD
Why give up on spritzing? I didn't wrap these ribs during the cook. I do not like dry ribs and I do not like wrapping (lazy). Spritzing pretty much guarantees a moist end product IMO.

I like to spritz with apple juice - no cider. May try the cider add...what ratio do you like?
And...Something else that is a little "trick" is to spray a very light amount of Pam on them. The oil helps to slow evaporate of water moisture - or so it seems.

tee, how often do you spray with Pam?

RWalters, that is one precious sweetie! Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery.
Tee gives himself a quick spray with Pam in the morning, and right after each bowel movement. Cuts down on chafing.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
Regarding the color, I find that I much prefer the colors I get when smoking super low n slow....210-225°.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
I will do a very light spray with Pam once the ribs begin to look "dry" ...usually an hour into the cook more or less, and maybe once more and hour before they re done. The I switch to the apple juice spritzing to make a bit of a thin glaze on them.

Not "the" right way...just one way that I like to make my ribs. I think it help with moisture retention - but that could be a mental thing, as I have not done any actual testing. Should try some side by side - and cook them with eh Pam and without to see if their is a noticeable difference.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 70monte

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
Those ribs look great and very cute baby pics.
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »
It looks like you're not the only one enjoying that new MAK!

Congrats on the new house and the new MAK!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68