Author Topic: Photobucket - thieves and extortionists!!!!  (Read 3505 times)

Offline DWard51

Photobucket - thieves and extortionists!!!!
« Reply #-1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Ok, Apparently I'm the next victim in the Photobucket $400 extortion scheme.  Yep, they have replaced all my images with that stupid "pay up sucker" notice.   Sorry, there is no way in hell I'm giving a dime to those losers after they way they sprung this on everyone.   Time to cancel my account with them as I have everything backed up in 3 other places anyway.  There is just no way to go through and edit all the places online I had photos though.

Thanks for totally destroying DIY on the internet Photobucket -  I'll refrain from what I really want to tell you......

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Photobucket - thieves and extortionists!!!!
« on: July 06, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
I feel your anger Dward.  RG just turned me on to Imgur, like it much better.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20760.msg267932#new

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »
My new favorite is ...www.SmugMug.com
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »
I just checked all 3 of my PB acc and none say that.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
My don't say that but I received an email that said they noticed I was using their site to host pictures for 3rd party sites and that it would no longer be allowed unless I upgraded to their 399 plan.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
I never got an email.   Also if I check my account, it looks normal to me.  But any photos I had linked via the IMG function in boards are now showing that $400 ransom image.  Pull up an older post with a PB linked image and see if it's still showing the image.  If it's still working and the account is a currently paid account, their FAQS info said it will be good until the end of the current pay cycle, but upon renewing you have to move to the $400 level to use images via the IMG function (they call this 3rd party hosting).

They have basically broken 98% of the instructional posts on the web.

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »
What about Google Photos Just a thought, it's free & can be set up to do/share only what you want.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20762.msg267939;topicseen#msg267939

C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
I never got an email.   Also if I check my account, it looks normal to me.  But any photos I had linked via the IMG function in boards are now showing that $400 ransom image.  Pull up an older post with a PB linked image and see if it's still showing the image.  If it's still working and the account is a currently paid account, their FAQS info said it will be good until the end of the current pay cycle, but upon renewing you have to move to the $400 level to use images via the IMG function (they call this 3rd party hosting).

They have basically broken 98% of the instructional posts on the web.

Nope- all my pics are replaced with that image.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »
Mine does not tell me this either,  BUT takes soooooooo long to go page to page and save what I want it feels like I'm being held up on time wasted  >:( >:( >:(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
My posts are still showing as the pic i posted.
Did you use the free amount of their host? Or have you paid. I paid for 3 years. Still i guess i gotta keep checking.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
Who knows what algorithm they are using to determine who gets their photos blocked and who doesn't.  I have never had anything but a free account, and my photos are still showing by way of old IMG links.  Perhaps they are targeting the heavy users first...
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
To date ... knock on wood ... I have never had an issue with being able to post an image link on a forum.

My Account on Photobucket is 4.59% full with 5,070 photos. As I mentioned on another post I only upload resized photos at 800 x 600 pixels which is what I post in the forum. The original photos are kept on my PC and backed up regularly on external drives.

A few years ago I upgraded my account type to a "Plus20" account which gives me a total of 22.3GB of storage. 2GB Initial + 20GB Plus20 + 0.3GB Reward storage. My 5,070 photos are using 1.0 GB of 22.3 GB (4.59%). Again, I only upload resized photos. Last year I paid $29.99 for one year for the Plus20 account ($2.50/month). But I'm not so sure that they still offer the Plus20 account since their options only appear to be Plus50 - $5.99/month, Plus 100 - $9.99/month, or Plus 500 - $39.99/month.

Since Photobucket works for me I will continue to use their service for IMG links in my postings and if I ever need to change to another service I have all the photos stored on external drives.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with Photobucket and/or any other photo sharing applications. Hope you get things worked out.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline DWard51

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
To date ... knock on wood ... I have never had an issue with being able to post an image link on a forum.

My Account on Photobucket is 4.59% full with 5,070 photos. As I mentioned on another post I only upload resized photos at 800 x 600 pixels which is what I post in the forum. The original photos are kept on my PC and backed up regularly on external drives.

A few years ago I upgraded my account type to a "Plus20" account which gives me a total of 22.3GB of storage. 2GB Initial + 20GB Plus20 + 0.3GB Reward storage. My 5,070 photos are using 1.0 GB of 22.3 GB (4.59%). Again, I only upload resized photos. Last year I paid $29.99 for one year for the Plus20 account ($2.50/month). But I'm not so sure that they still offer the Plus20 account since their options only appear to be Plus50 - $5.99/month, Plus 100 - $9.99/month, or Plus 500 - $39.99/month.

Since Photobucket works for me I will continue to use their service for IMG links in my postings and if I ever need to change to another service I have all the photos stored on external drives.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with Photobucket and/or any other photo sharing applications. Hope you get things worked out.

My posts are still showing as the pic i posted.
Did you use the free amount of their host? Or have you paid. I paid for 3 years. Still i guess i gotta keep checking.

As I understand it, pay accounts prior to the policy change are good until the next renewal or December 31, 2018, whichever date comes first.  Then you must either pay $40 a month or $399 a year to continue to use linking and the IMG function in boards.

So for now, you are grandfathered, but the big extortion scheme will catch up with you at some point.

I would be concerned with the life expectancy of Photobucket now.  People are claiming to be leaving in droves (count me amount those) and deleting their accounts.  Word was they had cash flow issues and ad revenues were no sufficient which is why they resorted to this insane scheme.  Problem will be as the lower tier uses leave, many never to return based on principal alone, their per click ad revenue will continue to decline, and the spiral becomes self feeding.  Their site has been taking longer and longer to load due to all the cookies and ad tracking crap they try to load already so the site was already getting flaky.  So the question then becomes with the long term viability of PB being in question, will most people who might otherwise pony up $400 a year, now choose to do so, or go ahead and bite the bullet and move on to another service.  Not me.....

In the end, I think they have committed corporate suicide and are not long for the world......

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
I am not disagreeing with you SWard51 but it appears you are being quoted their Plus500 account at $39.99/month. Do you have more than 500GB of photos on photobucket? If so are they the original photos?

I emailed the photobucket Plus department to see what my renewal amount will be on Dec 12th 2017 for my Plus20 account ... for all I know they don't even have the Plus20 program anymore. If I want to stay with photobucket I might have to step up to the Plus50 plan.

I'll let everyone know what I find out. I hope I don't have to go from $29.99 a year (Puls20 - 22.3GB of which I use 4.59%) to $71.88 a year (Plus50 - 52.3GB of which I would be using 1.9%) ... Hey, I figure it's one less New York Strip I'll be smoking next year ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
They are quoting the price for an account that allows third party posting. Copying the img link and posting it on the forum is considered third party posting.