Author Topic: Let them eat cake!  (Read 2144 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Let them eat cake!
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
Supposedly that's what Marie Antoinette said (it's a fallacy, google will tell you all you need to know, lol)

Since I am not Marie Antoinette, I can say it with conviction! Last year, the wife and I took a little trip to Chattanooga to go to the Tennessee Aquarium among other things, it was a little getaway for a few days to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. During this trip, we ate at a diner called "City Cafe Diner". I got a burger and don't really even remember what she got to be honest. The burger was fairly good, it was HUGE, that much I do recall. On the way in, we saw this display cabinet full of the most beautiful cakes I'd ever seen, spinning around on a carousel, so after dinner I ordered a piece of the "Seven Sins" cake to go. It by itself was $7.00! We got back to the hotel room and I took a bite and was floored! It was THE BEST cake I had ever tasted, bar none. My wife, who is not even a sweet eater, took a bite, then another, then another........she was in love, lol.

We returned back to the diner the next morning because she heard the breakfast was excellent. I got some pancakes and sausage, not a fan. Humongous portions but it was just meh. I came real close to buying a whole cake to bring home but didn't. The whole ride home I was thinking about that cake though :P

As luck would have it, my wife made a trip to Ohio with my Daughter to visit a friend and on the way back home decided to route herself through Chattanooga to get a cake. That's just what she did, she called ahead a day before and ordered a whole "Seven Sins" cake and brought it home. This thing is enormous and could easily feed 25 people. I have eaten my share as has my wife and son, we've given some away and still have half a cake left! It costs $71.00 but to be honest, it's worth every penny! I now need to find a way to freeze this thing. I am sick of eating cake but I don't want to toss it out from not eating it either.

This is what the fuss is about :

The Box

The Choices

The Cake

Prior to eating this cake, my favorite chocolate cake actually was from the Publix deli. Their Chocolate Ganache  cake is excellent, or so I thought. After eating the Seven Sins cake, it makes the Publix cake taste like a Little Debbie (no offense Debbie, I still like your snack cakes too!).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Let them eat cake!
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
My blood sugar just went up 90 point :thumbup: :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »
Before V & I met she owned & operated a cake decorating business.
When we met she had already sold the shop but was still supplying cakes for weddings, so for a few months we did that together.
We made a lot of huge, beautiful,very elaborate cakes, in all shapes & sizes, but we never made anything as decadent as that.

I'm not a big fan of cake (I'm a pie man) but I sure would lika a slice of that! :P :P :P

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
Before V & I met she owned & operated a cake decorating business.
When we met she had already sold the shop but was still supplying cakes for weddings, so for a few months we did that together.
We made a lot of huge, beautiful,very elaborate cakes, in all shapes & sizes, but we never made anything as decadent as that.

I'm not a big fan of cake (I'm a pie man) but I sure would lika a slice of that! :P :P :P

I'm there with ya, I am not a big cake eater either but my gosh this thing is incredible. I wish all of y'all were my neighbors, we could all feed on this hulk of a cake and then collectively go into a sugar coma, lol!

That sounds about right! It really isn't overly sugary though. It's perfectly sweet and delicate in flavor. That white strip in there is white chocolate mousse and then there dark chocolate mousse in there on another level. I bet this cake costs them in excess of half of what they charge for it. I may never eat another piece of cake again, hard to go back to just regular old cake after this one :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

That sounds about right! It really isn't overly sugary though. It's perfectly sweet and delicate in flavor. That white strip in there is white chocolate mousse and then there dark chocolate mousse in there on another level. I bet this cake costs them in excess of half of what they charge for it. I may never eat another piece of cake again, hard to go back to just regular old cake after this one :)
[/quote]Well, considering I have not eaten any sweets since January a Little Debbie's sounds like a treat to me 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

Well, considering I have not eaten any sweets since January a Little Debbie's sounds like a treat to me
[/quote]

I gotcha, well then this would put you in a coma for sure :) You would have happy sugary dreams though!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
Well RG you prove that you can "have your cake & eat it too" Good to The last crumb. No matter how you slice it.... it comes out good...... You can bite off more then you can chew....... So you say that is a cut above the rest......I bet you can knife through that dessert.........

But if it were that good maybe it is .........The  Alice B. Toklas cake ;) ;) ;)

That does look good enjoy
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Looks like I need to make a road trip to Chattanooga! Gotta try that cake!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
I bet I could make that cake...I have made 5 layers..hmmmmm might be fun to try. I'm gonna need tasters tho.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
I bet I could make that cake...I have made 5 layers..hmmmmm might be fun to try. I'm gonna need tasters tho.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Go for it Pam! I have faith in you! The "icing" layers in the middle are mousse, some dark chocolate, one white. I would say it would be expensive to make but that wouldn't be too smart on my behalf considering on what I spent to make Sub Sandwiches, lol!

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
I gained five pounds just looking at your pictures of that thing  ???

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

You got one here Pam ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
Milk plz and I would like to cut my own piece.  Your pieces are small.  That looks so good.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »

You got one here Pam ;) ;) ;)
looking at that cake..they are small layers with the bottom layer is ganache or dark chocolate..then 2 layers of the mocha, a layer of white chocolate then 2 more layers of the mocha and a layer of ganache over all. Looks like chocolate sprinkles around the sides of the cake and frosting stuff on top with chocolate curls in the center and twizzlers on top too..am I close?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
Y'all want a good cake have Pam make her mayo cake it's out of this world!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Although I can't eat due to my new eating plan (which I'm down 48 pounds)  but boy it's gooooooood!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker