Author Topic: Challenge From Tommy (TMB)  (Read 2008 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Challenge From Tommy (TMB)
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
Tommy said this “ No way would I enjoy a pressure cooked butt” in response to a post comparing a butt cooked on a BGE vs an Instant Pot.
Well I’ve never cooked pulled pork in a pressure cooker BUT I’m going to attempt it for tonight !
Just started, 3.5 lbs pork shoulder.
Instant Pot
Wright’s hickory liquid smoke
Pork Barrel BBQ rub
Dreamland BBQ sauce ( vinegar based)
Corky’s BBQ sauce ( tomato based)
Serving tonight to my wife who will think it’s one of my vacuum sealed butts I’ve reheated & I’ll find out how she likes it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xPoL2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:21:30 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Challenge From Tommy (TMB)
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
This should be interesting.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
How much liquid smoke? it doesn't take much..only difference will be the bark.  watching...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
There's a BBQ joint not far from the house here in South Alabama.  When it first opened I got a pulled pork sandwich and thought it was okay, good & moist, a little smokey which seemed to come mainly from the sauce, but no bark.  Went around back and saw no pit, smoker or woodpile.  Concluded it was cooked in crock pots, probably with liquid smoke.

Now they have a gas fired commercial smoker with a pile of hickory & pecan out back.  Pulled pork is more genuine now, has bark mixed in, authentic smoke flavor and overall better than when they were first getting started.

BUTT.........there was nothing really wrong with the original version, still tasty, just different.  When making a sandwich I usually put some cole slaw on it, sauce and the pork.  Served like that I think many would choose the crock pot version over the pit version.

Interested in your wife's opinion.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:15:37 PM »
There's a BBQ joint not far from the house here in South Alabama.  When it first opened I got a pulled pork sandwich and thought it was okay, good & moist, a little smokey which seemed to come mainly from the sauce, but no bark.  Went around back and saw no pit, smoker or woodpile.  Concluded it was cooked in crock pots, probably with liquid smoke.

Now they have a gas fired commercial smoker with a pile of hickory & pecan out back.  Pulled pork is more genuine now, has bark mixed in, authentic smoke flavor and overall better than when they were first getting started.

BUTT.........there was nothing really wrong with the original version, still tasty, just different.  When making a sandwich I usually put some cole slaw on it, sauce and the pork.  Served like that I think many would choose the crock pot version over the pit version.

As A yankee I second this lol...watching also
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
Alright finished eating!
Cooked under pressure for 30 minutes, not done, another 30 & slightly overdone....45-50 should be good.
Seasoned with 2 tbsp of rub & total of 2 tsp of liquid smoke. Added 1/2 tsp at a time & tasted.
Well really pretty good. Very tender & juicy. Mild smoke flavor ( it’s easy to ruin food with liquid smoke so I’m very cautious) The rub lent a mild salty & just a little heat flavor.
The visual appeal was inferior to pit smoked meat.
My wife didn’t notice the difference till I told her.
https://imgur.com/a/22ZPP

Will I do again? Probably not, when I smoke butts I usually cook several & freeze several 3 lb 90% cooked sections that can simply be finished in oven on a grill or in a crockpot.
That’s probably easier than this.
If you don’t have a smoker this is an acceptable alternative good enough that even Tommy would eat ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »
Alright finished eating!
Cooked under pressure for 30 minutes, not done, another 30 & slightly overdone....45-50 should be good.
Seasoned with 2 tbsp of rub & total of 2 tsp of liquid smoke. Added 1/2 tsp at a time & tasted.
Well really pretty good. Very tender & juicy. Mild smoke flavor ( it’s easy to ruin food with liquid smoke so I’m very cautious) The rub lent a mild salty & just a little heat flavor.

Will I do again? Probably not, when I smoke butts I usually cook several & freeze several 3 lb 90% cooked sections that can simply be finished in oven on a grill or in a crockpot.
That’s probably easier than this.
If you don’t have a smoker this is an acceptable alternative good enough that even Tommy would eat ::)

Thanks for your review my wife does it in the crockpot but I am not a) a big PP fan or a big b) Smoke fan so I will eat it lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »

Well...Lost Arrow is a Yankee too...he lives on the North side of Jackson Mississippi.... :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
... good enough that even Tommy would eat...

Not sure how great a recommendation that is; remember, Tommy thinks you can make barbecue in a Big Easy.

Having said that, I've tried it and it is an acceptable alternative if you're pressed for time and absolutely have to have pulled pork.

Just sayin'...

Hints: Cut the butt into large pieces, add rub, and brown on the Sauté setting before turning on the pressure. I use some seasoned chicken stock to deglaze the pan and provide the amount of liquid required to pressure cook (BBQ sauce on the side when served if anybody wants it).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:23 AM »

That sandwich looks mighty fine to me.  That plate of grub would hit the spot right about now.

I ate at a pretty large BBQ joint in Hamilton, Ohio a few years back.  No pit, no smoker, but it had all the atmosphere of a Southern BBQ restaurant.  The sides were good, the pulled pork was slow cooked somehow, ribs were baked and broiled.  They probably did everything in ovens and pressure cookers.
Not bad really.  But I'll take the real deal if I had a choice.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Great experiment. I for one if Jack Frost is acting up have no problems crock-pot or air fry cooking (the days of bundling up and sitting outside all night are over) but whenever possible give me Smoke..................lots of clean blue smoke..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »

Well...Lost Arrow is a Yankee too...he lives on the North side of Jackson Mississippi.... :D :D :D :D

No No No Tee......I am a Yankee because of where I live......I hate the Yankee BB team.........GO Cardinals. Wow I don't want others to think I have pinstripes on ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  In fact many people from other parts of the country think if you have stripes on & were born in NY that you are a Yankee fan or live on Rikers Island
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
(the days of bundling up and sitting outside all night are over)

Smoke I found this old picture of you in the files. ...Bundling up?????? 
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
... good enough that even Tommy would eat...

Not sure how great a recommendation that is; remember, Tommy thinks you can make barbecue in a Big Easy.

Having said that, I've tried it and it is an acceptable alternative if you're pressed for time and absolutely have to have pulled pork.

Just sayin'...

Hints: Cut the butt into large pieces, add rub, and brown on the Sauté setting before turning on the pressure. I use some seasoned chicken stock to deglaze the pan and provide the amount of liquid required to pressure cook (BBQ sauce on the side when served if anybody wants it).

This the way to do it..big chunks..your gonna pull it anyways..just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
Great experiment, John!  Thanks for posting the results.

I have to admit that I've eaten some dang tasty pulled pork that was cooked (by others) in pressure or slow cookers over the years.   However, I do prefer pulled pork from a smoker... even if it is from Tommy's BEESR!  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68