Author Topic: So, how did you get your start?  (Read 70620 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Re: So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
Daddy built a brick pit, about 8 ft by 6 ft outside dimensions with a heavy steel grate about 5 ft by 4 ft. He would fire up oak or hickory and get a good hot bed of coals going. he would use a hoe to move the coals around to get hot or indirect heat. cooked mostly chicken and pork butts sometimes when we could afford them. Cooked a lot of squirrel and rabbit while we were cooking the chicken too. The few times we could afford steak Momma would cook it it the oven and serve a gray slab of yucky meat.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline rwalters

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
Daddy built a brick pit, about 8 ft by 6 ft outside dimensions with a heavy steel grate about 5 ft by 4 ft. He would fire up oak or hickory and get a good hot bed of coals going. he would use a hoe to move the coals around to get hot or indirect heat. cooked mostly chicken and pork butts sometimes when we could afford them. Cooked a lot of squirrel and rabbit while we were cooking the chicken too. The few times we could afford steak Momma would cook it it the oven and serve a gray slab of yucky meat.
Daddy built a brick pit and burned logs, but let mama bake steak?????  Any chance you have pics of the pit?  Would love to see it!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
Daddy built a brick pit and burned logs, but let mama bake steak?????  Any chance you have pics of the pit?  Would love to see it!!

I wish I did, the last time I was by the old home place many years ago the pit was still there but looked pretty unused and grown up weeds around it. Where I grew up if you stopped and asked to take pictures of a bbq grill you would probably get shot or worse.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline rwalters

So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »

I wish I did, the last time I was by the old home place many years ago the pit was still there but looked pretty unused and grown up weeds around it. Where I grew up if you stopped and asked to take pictures of a bbq grill you would probably get shot or worse.
Kinda sad :(
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
We need more BBQ "Life" stories.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
My parents had a big square notch out from their fireplace on the patio that was designed for grilling when their home was built back in 49 in the San Fernando Valley.

Pops had a grate that would slide in a groove in the bricks and he would light the charcoal with chimney starter and away we would go. Steaks chops and burgers and dogs.

One day I was with Mom in a Home Depot store and they had a stack of Char-Broil Silver Smoker off-sets on sale for 88 bucks. She said to get a flat cart and she would buy me one.

That was the fastest I ever have run to get that flat cart. We are in line at check out at the garden shop and she says "We should get one for your brother"

Back I went.

My brother only lived about two blocks away and he was right over and we got mine built.

Went to his house and built his in the front drive way. It was getting dark but we didn't care.

The next morning, I picked my brother up and we went back to the Depot and grabbed Kingsford and some hickory chips.

Now the rest of the story would take up all the forum space so fast forward to today:

My brother is in Michigan with a Quality Grill I helped modify and design. He is strictly a griller.

I am in Texas with my own custom Quality Grill and my MAK 2 Star and a big log burning fire pit/Grill. I do it all. Oh, I also have a little green helper.

My mama would always say my ribs were never good enough as the ribs she would get from The Sizzler restaurant................

but I am still trying.................

Thank You Mama....................................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
My parents had a big square notch out from their fireplace on the patio that was designed for grilling when their home was built back in 49 in the San Fernando Valley.

Pops had a grate that would slide in a groove in the bricks and he would light the charcoal with chimney starter and away we would go. Steaks chops and burgers and dogs.

One day I was with Mom in a Home Depot store and they had a stack of Char-Broil Silver Smoker off-sets on sale for 88 bucks. She said to get a flat cart and she would buy me one.

That was the fastest I ever have run to get that flat cart. We are in line at check out at the garden shop and she says "We should get one for your brother"

Back I went.

My brother only lived about two blocks away and he was right over and we got mine built.

Went to his house and built his in the front drive way. It was getting dark but we didn't care.

The next morning, I picked my brother up and we went back to the Depot and grabbed Kingsford and some hickory chips.

Now the rest of the story would take up all the forum space so fast forward to today:

My brother is in Michigan with a Quality Grill I helped modify and design. He is strictly a griller.

I am in Texas with my own custom Quality Grill and my MAK 2 Star and a big log burning fire pit/Grill. I do it all. Oh, I also have a little green helper.

My mama would always say my ribs were never good enough as the ribs she would get from The Sizzler restaurant................

but I am still trying.................

Thank You Mama....................................
Fun story... but, not as good a Sizzler?!?! C’mon brother, what’s going on?  Sizzler?!?!  Sizzler ain’t all that good!  I’ve seen your cooks... I’d say your mama’s taste buds ain’t working right ;)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Great story Smoke, you didn't specify your age at the time, but if she bought you a smoker as a kid that is pretty cool. Great to start young.

My kid is 10 and he is always trying to help in the kitchen. Even though he is more of a nuisance/hindrance that help at this stage. I guess we both can learn this low-n-slow smoking thing together.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »
Probably early 20's........Mom probably regretted the purchase with all the over smoked offerings I created in those early days......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
Here is how Wendy got her start:

This is a God Honest true story.

I went over to where she lived on a Friday night. I walked in and grabbed her in my arms and told her:

"From now on you are my woman and I am your man. No more dating, no more nothing. You are running with me and I will marry you the first chance I get"

and that my friends is how it went down. Yes, I married her the first chance I got.

I brought my Old Smoky over to her house the next morning and we smoked a pork butt.

Here she is with Smoochy our first day together as a couple

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »

I went over to where she lived on a Friday night. I walked in and grabbed her in my arms and told her:

"From now on you are my woman and I am your man. No more dating, no more nothing. You are running with me and I will marry you the first chance I get"

and that my friends is how it went down. Yes, I married her the first chance I got.

I brought my Old Smoky over to her house the next morning and we smoked a pork butt.

Dang, you don’t mess around, eh?  That’s awesome!  Not many of us have wife’s who join us in our passion for smoked/grilled foods... sure, most love the end result... but we create our master pieces on our own. You are blessed to have a wife that enjoys getting her hands dirty with the process :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
...............and that mesquite smell in her hair aint a bad deal either  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »

That Lady is way too fine for you. You muat have gave her way to much booze.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
That Lady is way too fine for you. You muat have gave her way to much booze.

I have always said when she sobers up and realizes what she did, I'm a goner!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
BUMP!  C'mon guys and gals... I know there are a lot more stories that could be shared with the LTBBQ family.  Would love to hear some more... :)