Author Topic: D@mn confusing ! ! !  (Read 732 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
D@mn confusing ! ! !
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
Okay, I realize that I'm not as dumb as a look, but is just getting waaaay past me.  I'm trying to install a wire security camera syste[/url]m and one of the cameras was too far for the small antenna and even for the 10' wired antenna.  So, I went back and bought a 30' coaxial extension wire to bring the antenna closer to the base unit.

Now comes the part where you'll have to excuse my official technical jargon . . .  Based on my many years of adding TVs to my home (way back in the day when you had to pay extra for each TV, but because there weren't any boxes, the cable company had no way of knowing how many TVs you had), I know that the the end with spinny nut on the end has the little wire (I won't call it a penis) coming out of it, so it the "male" end of the cable.  Therefore the end that's threaded and has the (I won't call it a hole) is the female end.

Now, my camera system follows this system and the only difference is that they have smaller spinny nuts and threaded ends.  But the extension cable is, of course, different.  It's allowed to be different, I know that.  And I'm not allowed to question its desire to be different (learned that from Jenner).  In this case the spinny nut has the (hole) and the threaded end has the (penis).  I know, but I am opening minded enough to accept the cable as it is, weird spinny nut and all.

So, back to Amazon.  I was hoping that there was a solution like another (dare I say "normal") cable or at the very least maybe some converter or something that would allow the spinny nut male on the end of my antenna to cozy up to the threaded end male on my cable, and allow the spinny nut female cable end to work with the threaded end female on the back of my camera.  Wouldn't you, I found another 30' cable that came with adapters.

So, back went the old cable and I ordered the new one.  It came today and for some strange reason, the adapter don't adapt anything at all.  Each of them has a spinny nut female attached to a threaded part male.

So, now I'm looking at Amazon just for adapters and, frankly, I can tell what the hell I'm looking at.  What I need are two things that have a threaded end with a (hole) and a spinny nut with a (penis).

I think if I order one of these it will convert my threaded male cable end to threaded female. 

And, if I order one of these, it will convert my spinny nut female to spinny nut male.

But before I go three strikes, I was hoping that someone here might have a little more technical knowledge than me and advise me as the smartness or idiotness of my choice.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Agustine

Re: D@mn confusing ! ! !
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
Ok, I probably totally missed what you were saying, but it sounds to me like you are trying to install "wireless" cameras and the signal strength is just too low at one location to make the connections, so you were trying to get the wifi router antenna closer.  Right????

If that is the case you need a wife range extender to expand the coverage of your network.  It is a box that would go midway between the current wifi router (midway or basically anywhere it could still "see" the current router).  It acts like a radio repeater from that point.  Range extenders are fairly inexpensive ($30 or less on amazon).

Possibly a simpler option would be to try moving the existing wifi router unless it's hard wired to a network.  If you can move it, you might find a spot that works without buying anything else.

Also there is more than one type of wifi connector for the antennas and cables.  Keep in mind that the frequencies that routers are operating at are much higher than the old TV frequencies.  A little line loss is greatly magnified at those high frequencies and every connection you make adds line loss.  So in theory a longer cable may actually give you less reception than you had before. 

Samples of common wifi connectors can be seen here (with photos):

http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-cable-connectors.html

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
 So, Is this a WiFi camera or not?   That makes a big difference here.   

1. If it is WiFi DWard is on the right track.    Add the extender.     We have to do this all the time.

2. If it is 900Mhz or something like that maybe I can help with the cable or adapter.  Take a picture of the connections.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:06:10 AM by tlg4942 »
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
So, Is this a WiFi camera or not?   That make a big difference here.   

1. If it is WiFi DWard is on the right track.    Add the extender.     We have to do this all the time.

2. If it is 900Mhz or something like that maybe I can help with the cable or adapter.  Take a picture of the connections.

Yes, DWard is right, it is a wireless security camera and I assume it's combination of distance and the number of walls the signal has to go through to reach the router.  Here is the connection at the back of the camera:

There two antenna choices.  One just screws into the connector, the other has a 10' wire.

And here are connectors on the ends of the antennas:

As you can see, all of these so far look just like smaller versions of the coax connections for cable TV.

Now, here are the connectors on the two ends of the 30' extension that I bought:

My best guess right now is the company that made camera is stuck with inventory of old-style connectors that it's dumping off on an unsuspecting public !

I'm just thankful that, for the most part, electrical and plumbing connections have remained fairly standard over time.  For now, I've ordered the additional adapters and hopefully ordered the right ones.  If that doesn't work, then I'll go for the extender that you guys have recommended.

Thanks for the assist guys ! ! !  (And, Agustine, thank you for the chuckle !)

BD

The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
   DW is correct that too much antenna wire may make things worse. But since you have the wire it can't hurt to try.
Some of these cameras run on 900Mhz - 5K Mhz that is not Wifi. 
If not Wifi go as high with the antenna as possible. Move it around because 6 inches can make a difference.   Mine worked best when hanging from a rafter a couple feet.  I finally gave up and wired it. Solved the problem period. 

If these are Wifi then the extender is the best way to go.  Get one within 15 feet of the camera if possible. It will have a much stronger signal than the camera so you want it to do most of the work.    Sometimes more than one is needed. 
Depends on the construction of the house and the proximity to the nearest indian burial ground...

https://www.data-alliance.net/sma-extension-cable-8-ft-10-ft-male-to-female-bulkhead-antenna-cable/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlIvXBRBjEiwATWAQIv5HlPkTN_w_nXCBWAiOBiFL0lzy3tQvmqCSR7UCbPo0Ke4G9nNFvRoCysAQAvD_BwE

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline DWard51

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
Post a photo of the label that is on the camera.  Then we can figure out exactly what you have to work with.   Wifi vs 900mhz are 2 different animals and require different solutions.  Those SMA connectors could be for either, but the external antenna looks more like 900mhz video (the one that looks like an old school cell antenna for a car).   If it is 900mhz, a directional high gain yagi antenna would be better suited than those omni antennas. 

And as goofy as this sounds, take a aluminum pie plate and sit it straight up behind the antenna with the antenna directly between the pie plate and the router.  What you want is the pie plate to act like a reflector behind the antenna "aimed" towards the router.  Yes, you can eek out a little more gain that way and you can probably try it for free (any metal pie plate should work, but a disposable aluminum one you can shape more into a dish would be best).  Or a domed shaped stainless mixing bowl would be almost perfect.

Not my photo but you get the basic idea of where I'm going with that...

We used to make small multi element yagi antennas with a pie plate reflector and a tin can body as a directional antenna for transmitter location back in the day.  Pie plate reflected and isolated the signal and the tin can body (top and bottom cut off) acted like a directional barrel so you basically had to point the thing right at transmitter (you won't need the can body for your application).   Long story, but there were times we had to find a covert hidden transmitter or wifi router.  The fun part was the training on how to break the password and covertly access a secured network via their routers once you isolated the target router in a high RF office environment (not as hard as it sounds even with encryption).   Ahh, brings back memories of war-driving too......

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
I worked for the phone company and in IT for over 40 years, but y'all are making my head hurt. LOL
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware