Author Topic: Water Bath Only?  (Read 14149 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Water Bath Only?
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
Taking some vacation time around Memorial Day so I thought I would make some sausage. Maybe some kielbasa, hot dogs, and "plain ole' sausage".
Normally I would stuff them and put in the smoker at 140* and ramp up the temp until the sausage reaches about 150*.
However, it is supposed to rain most of the time I was planning on making the sausage. I heat it in the Bradley ( an electric smoker.) I am not worried about the smoker in the rain as I have it in a small shed I built to hold it in.
But I don't feel like getting wet while I am doing this and it usually rains at the time that it is too clumsy to hold an umbrella.

So my thought was to stuff it and just give it a water bath until it reaches the desired temp. I have used the water bath after an hour or so in the bradley, but never straight from the beginning.
Anyone do it that way before and can tell me if it worked okay? I assume it would be okay, but I have run into unexpected results over the years of experimenting.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Water Bath Only?
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
You could do that, but neither the color nor the flavor will be the same.

Can you put a canopy up over your smoker?  That's what I do when it's raining and I want to smoke meats. Damp weather is a great time for smoking meats because of the humidity.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68