Author Topic: Zero Turn Mowers  (Read 870 times)

Offline Dave R.

Zero Turn Mowers
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2018, 04:59:46 AM »
We recently moved from Oregon to Idaho. Not wanting to take the John Deere rider I had in Oregon decided to sell it and buy a zero turn. Just curious if others that frequent this site have gone that route? I finished my research yesterday and made a gentleman's agreement with a local tractor retailer to purchase a Kubota zero turn with a 48" deck. May be a little over kill for the yard we have now but it is what it is. Thoughts, suggestions, atta boys or boy did you screw up comments are all welcome.
MAK #3591

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Zero Turn Mowers
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:59:41 AM »
We recently moved from Oregon to Idaho. Not wanting to take the John Deere rider I had in Oregon decided to sell it and buy a zero turn. Just curious if others that frequent this site have gone that route? I finished my research yesterday and made a gentleman's agreement with a local tractor retailer to purchase a Kubota zero turn with a 48" deck. May be a little over kill for the yard we have now but it is what it is. Thoughts, suggestions, atta boys or boy did you screw up comments are all welcome.
Kubota builds some good stuff so you did well :thumbup:

I bought Kimmie a Toro 52"  ZT  a few years back and I can't get her off it, she loves it!   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
Would love to have enough land for ZT mower.  Philly suburbs are a little pricey to have too much land unless you move far out, which isn't an option at this point.  Honda push mower is quality if you have a full day to walk :D
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
I have 1.67 acres & had a zero turn when we moved here 20 years ago. It was great but rhe mower was at least 20 years old when we got it ??? ??? ??? ???  The last eight years we have a sears non zero  turn lol. I like it becuase it was new ;) ;) ;) ;)  All things being equal zero turn is the way to go if you don't have big hills on your lawn. We had a Dixon.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
  You will be happy you got the zero turn. It will be fast and efficient.   
 I have a Hustler Raptor 52" with a 23HP Kawasaki engine.  I have a very tough yard with about 3+ acres of not manicured grass to cut. Keep the blades sharp and it cruises through even higher grass with ease.   
 The Kawasaki is by far one of the best motors I have seen in a long time.   

I had a Kubota BX tractor for about ten years and it was a fine machine.  Just quite pricey to work on.  I would think most anything Kubota builds is going to be pretty good quality.   While its under warranty use KUBOTA oils, filters and belts.  They are expensive but they are very good quality and if there is a problem it will be better...  ...
 As for overkill, That's hard to do when your talking grass cutting.  I guess a Dixie Chopper with the Cat diesel might be overkill. But then again...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
 I have a Hustler Raptor 52" with a 23HP Kawasaki engine.  I have a very tough yard with about 3+ acres of not manicured grass to cut. Keep the blades sharp and it cruises through even higher grass with ease.   

I had a Kubota BX tractor for about ten years and it was a fine machine.  Just quite pricey to work on.  I would think most anything Kubota builds is going to be pretty good quality.   While its under warranty use KUBOTA oils, filters and belts.  They are expensive but they are very good quality and if there is a problem it will be better...  ...
 As for overkill, That's hard to do when your talking grass cutting. I guess a Dixie Chopper with the Cat diesel might be overkill. But then again...
Kimmie cute about 4 acres a week and that would have been a great one to have
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »

As for overkill, That's hard to do when your talking grass cutting.  I guess a Dixie Chopper with the Cat diesel might be overkill. But then again...
I seriously considered the Raptor SD with 48" deck but decided against it as I'm not a fan of the Kohler engines the dealer had in stock. The Kubota is a few hundred more and has the B&S engine which I also don't care for that much but was assured it was built to Kubota standards. Go to get it today so soon to learn a bit more about these mowers. Just under an acre so it should make fast work of it. All flat with not many trees to deal with but the lawn edge is sculptured and has plenty of twists and turns.
MAK #3591

Offline Pappymn

Zero Turn Mowers
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
I just recently bought my first ZT for my one acre cabin lot. It is a Toro as I have always had good luck with Toro. They certainly cut much faster than the tractor style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
Dave, IT will blow through less than an acre...
 Your going to have to slow it down so your wife doesn't know how fast it really gets done!    :o 8)
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
I have a two acre lot with probably one and a quarter acres that gets mowed.  lots of big pine trees.  I bought an Exmark 13 years ago and have no regrets.  I had initially almost bought a Sears model made by Ariens I think, so glad I didn't.  Seat was on top of the engine which resulted in sitting high up which would have been a big problem mowing around our smaller trees like our crape myrtles.  also would have made it difficult to mow the ditch with that high center of gravity.  Best thing about the Exmark is that it has the welded steel deck instead of stamped sheet metal.  As often as i run into things, (dyslexicia), I would have beat the hell out of a stamped deck by now.
I can mow my entire yard in an hour and fifteen minutes.  My neighbor has the same size yard, takes him 6 -7 hours on his garden tractor style mower.  He recently bought a zero turn......
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
Deb bought one for me a few years ago and it still takes the "work" out of lawn work. We have a modest sized yard so the 36" size works for me.  That's why they make 'em in different sizes.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pappymn

Zero Turn Mowers
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
I also figured all the professional landscaping companies can't be wrong.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »
I have a two acre lot with probably one and a quarter acres that gets mowed.  lots of big pine trees.  I bought an Exmark 13 years ago and have no regrets.  I had initially almost bought a Sears model made by Ariens I think, so glad I didn't.  Seat was on top of the engine which resulted in sitting high up which would have been a big problem mowing around our smaller trees like our crape myrtles.  also would have made it difficult to mow the ditch with that high center of gravity.  Best thing about the Exmark is that it has the welded steel deck instead of stamped sheet metal.  As often as i run into things, (dyslexicia), I would have beat the hell out of a stamped deck by now.
I can mow my entire yard in an hour and fifteen minutes.  My neighbor has the same size yard, takes him 6 -7 hours on his garden tractor style mower.  He recently bought a zero turn......

So right IMHO that the stamped decks, all though get the job done just don't have the strength to last for years. The mower I got is heavy by comparison to it's competition for several reasons the least of which is the welded deck and frame are heavy duty. I had a blast making my first cut with it. Wifey was caught giggling a couple times watching as I screwed up time and again. By the time I finished I was getting the hang of it however. In retrospect what I got is maybe a little over kill but hey we only live once. Why leave our wealth as little as it is may be to family when we can enjoy the fruits of our years of labor now?
I glad to see that so many others have taken this path and have no regrets. I agree with pappymn, if the pro's use them there is a good reason why.
MAK #3591