Author Topic: I use Cooking as therapy  (Read 609 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
I use Cooking as therapy
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
For years I would hunt, fish, ride motorcycles,  played many sports from baseball to hockey but my knees can no longer do most things I love to do anymore.

So my love for cooking really came at a good time in my life.  I just had two major surgery on my stomach and todate it's been  20 in 18 years  :(

My late father was a great cook and taught me a lot about cooking which I love to do so when I came across The Big Easy for the first time it hit me I needed it and well
here I am 6 Big Easy's and many grills and smokers later I found my stress relief and passion all in one.  I was one of the first to join the Sizzle On The grill forum
and # 2 to sign in on letstalkbbq!  I have met some of my best friends here and from the Sizzle On The Grill forum.  Although we rarely  meet face to face just being on the forum
and having cell numbers to call when I need help, info or can give advice on "how to" with infrared has been a great joy in my life!

As I was working on things around the house last night it hit me how much this forum means to me and friends that I have met over the years weather face to face at BBQ outings,
BBQ contest or just talking over the phone.  Kimmie used to say "meeting people" from the net, are your crazy??   But then she meets folks like Uncle Dee, Tim, Art, Jack, Terry, RAD, Gus,Larry, Rick & Chris just to name a few and she really understands I have met some of the finest folks in this country.

One day the good Lord will call me home and that will be a day of rest, till then as long as I'm able no hunk of meat or veggie will be safe near my grills/smokers ;)         

Why do you cook??
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:56:57 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: I use Cooking as therapy
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Tommy it is funny that you can meet people on the net & really get to know them...I can't explain it but over time you do get to know people you have never met face to face.

On the NY Jets forum I met someone from Australia. We got to know each other just from posting over a few years. When he came in for a Jets game a couple of years ago we met face to face. Kiwi was no differnet in person then he was on the forum. He is also a big BBQ guy & I hope he joins this site someday.

So why do i cook.....well I just don't have the time to do it as much as I wish. I have been taking care of three people that needed help & that's where my time has gone.  I love it, but I have been saving & wishing for a boat first all these years. so that is second to my family. I really love to tailgate as that to me is the best.... cooking with a bunch of friends in a parking lot is amazing. Also on a boat as that can't be beat too. At home my wife does as much of the cooking as I do So maybe one day i will get to do more of it..

But I agree there are so many good people on here that I wish i could meet. They all have taught me so much.

Richard
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »
I cook because I find it relaxing.  I enjoy the prep work, the actual cooking, and even the clean up.  I like the process of cooking much more than I like eating the food I cook.  Don't get me wrong, I like the food I cook.  I just like the reaction I get when other people eat my food.  I usually give a lot of my food away to friends and family.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
I cook because I find it relaxing.  I enjoy the prep work, the actual cooking, and even the clean up.  I like the process of cooking much more than I like eating the food I cook.  Don't get me wrong, I like the food I cook.  I just like the reaction I get when other people eat my food.  I usually give a lot of my food away to friends and family.

I agree ....except I enjoy the eating too much lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »
 Everything Ok Tommy? Just having a rainy day up there?   
I find cooking relaxing too... This past weekend I felt terrible starting on Friday. Sunday I had to cook 20 lbs of ribs and 20lbs of chicken on my big smoker.  It requires some attention keeping the fire right. I drug myself out the door and over to the brother in laws early AM.
  I managed to cook 7 hours and felt better while doing it than any other time over the weekend. Even if it was 90+ outside. When people started enjoying the food it really made me feel better.
  I too have met some great people on here and on the late SOTG. I started there before it got the name Sizzle on the Grill. We were emailing back and forth...    It is so great that some of us manage to meet here and there each year too. I never would have expected
 that to be so good. It really is like a family reunion.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"