Author Topic: Scale of 1-10...  (Read 1714 times)

Offline rwalters

Scale of 1-10...
« Reply #-1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
Where does the enjoyment of BBQ fall for you on the scale of food categories?

For me, good authentic Mexican food would be a 10, where BBQ would probably be a 6 or 7.  I was chatting with my wife about this the other day, and was sharing with her that my enjoyment of producing BBQ'd foods is a 10, but my enjoyment of consuming is a 6 or 7.  That surprised her.

So, where do you fall?  Is the BBQ category a 10 for you?  Or, like me, do you enjoy the cooking process more than the consuming process? 

To be honest, I have several types of food that I'd regularly pick over BBQ, but none I'd rather prepare more than BBQ :)

Just to be clear, when I say BBQ'd foods, I am using that term generically.  I am not talking specifically about low-n-slow or grilled but rather all types of BBQ'd foods.

Curious to know if I am alone in this, or if many of you are the same.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Lemonhead78

Re: Scale of 1-10...
« on: August 28, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
           I love cooking BBQ. A 10 easily. I love to make someone happy for having them eat and like my cooking. I'm in the same boat as you sort of. It's easily not my favorite food. I love seafood. I also love other people's BBQ. The stuff I cook I eat so often it's boring sometimes. Also I taught my wife to cook so everything she makes I'm used too also . Oh and Mexican food is amazing !!!!! I live in a town with very strong Mexican influence. There's a whole section of town called little Mexico and you can get some really good authentic food from their . I'm rambling on here , I hope I answered the thread correctly lol
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »
           I love cooking BBQ. A 10 easily. I love to make someone happy for having them eat and like my cooking. I'm in the same boat as you sort of. It's easily not my favorite food. I love seafood. I also love other people's BBQ. The stuff I cook I eat so often it's boring sometimes. Also I taught my wife to cook so everything she makes I'm used too also . Oh and Mexican food is amazing !!!!! I live in a town with very strong Mexican influence. There's a whole section of town called little Mexico and you can get some really good authentic food from their . I'm rambling on here , I hope I answered the thread correctly lol
There's no right or wrong answer...lol.  Perhaps that is part of my problem... I love to BBQ, but I half burn myself out on it.  With that said, given the choice between a top notch Mexican restaurant, and a top notch BBQ joint... I will pick Mexican every time!  Then there's Sushi... :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
I totally agree.  Cooking BBQ, or any food/meal in my house, is an 11.  Eating it, however, is about a 6 for me.  I get bored eating the same stuff because usually in my house I'm the one eating all the BBQ leftovers.  I enjoy going out to eat and sampling other people's creation. 
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
Making, Creating, Modifying and Cleaning is a 10, seeing someone enjoy my cooking, priceless, Im my biggest critic so enjoying my own cooking about a 6 ish. :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
Hmm ... the process of preparing and smoking meats for others to eat would be a full 10 ... eating my own?  Well, probably between 5-9 depending on how well I do on any given day.  No matter how good the final product is, I always feel I could do better. 

Now grilling a steak, especially with a reverse sear?  A 10 on both ... even top flight steakhouses like Killen's, Del Frisco, or Pappas Bros. here in the greater Houston, TX area are only neck and neck when I get in the mood for a ribeye.  When I can source really good Prime steaks, I'm completely content staying home.

There are plenty of places I rate the experience of dining as a 9 to 10.  For BBQ, here in the Houston area I'd say Tejas Chocolate + BBQ (Tomball, TX) has burnt ends and mole better than I can ever make it.  Killen's (Pearland, TX) has the best beef ribs for my palate.  Other joints like Franklin's (Austin, TX) for brisket, Oklahoma Joe's (Kansas City, KS) for spareribs ... they're definitely "destination worthy".  I rarely get tired of the lamb chops and linguica at Fogo de Chao and other really good churrascarias.  Good Greek food speaks to my soul ... all that lamb-y goodness.  "It depends" probably isn't the answer you're looking for ...

But sometimes I don't want a traditional "10" for a meal; I associate it with richness or bold flavors, with being "special" ... sometimes "simple" is all I want.  Depending on mood, the weather, the season, etc. ... I genuinely can take as much pleasure in a perfectly prepared bowl of potato and sausage soup, or a fried baloney sammich, some really good black beans and rice, or even a bowl of Rice Krispies with some sliced up bananas to rate a "10" with me if that's what I'm craving.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
Great minds think alike:

Mexican Food  10

Burgers   10

Sushi  10

BBQ  6             

making the Que   10    (I have always enjoyed the journey more than the destination)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Bayoucajun

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 07:06:37 PM »
Cajun  10
Bbq9
Italian 8
Mexican 2

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
I love cooking bbq foods.  It calms me and puts me in my happy place.  Ppl love my bbq.  What ppl give a 10 to me it's liked 5-6.  Cooking bbq yes.  Eating bbq 4-5.  I love breakfast.  Steak, eggs, hash browns potatoes and pancakes or waffles.  My favorite meal.  I could eat sushi all week long.  Love sushi.  Then Mexican.  My most favorite foods are when my wife cooks. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

Scale of 1-10...
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
Cajun  10
Bbq9
Italian 8
Mexican 2
Mexican = 2?!?!

Mods, is this worthy of disciplinary action?!?!

Offline rwalters

Scale of 1-10...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
Great minds think alike:

Mexican Food  10

Burgers   10

Sushi  10

BBQ  6             

making the Que   10    (I have always enjoyed the journey more than the destination)
Dang, probably a good thing we aren’t neighbors... we’d probably be 100 lbs heavier... lol. Your “loved” food list pretty much mirrors mine...

Offline rwalters

Scale of 1-10...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
I love cooking bbq foods.  It calms me and puts me in my happy place.  Ppl love my bbq.  What ppl give a 10 to me it's liked 5-6.  Cooking bbq yes.  Eating bbq 4-5.  I love breakfast.  Steak, eggs, hash browns potatoes and pancakes or waffles.  My favorite meal.  I could eat sushi all week long.  Love sushi.  Then Mexican.  My most favorite foods are when my wife cooks.
Oh yes, that’s another big part of my love for BBQ... the process is highly therapeutic :)

Offline rwalters

Scale of 1-10...
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
Glad to know that I am not in the minority guys. It seems a common denominator is that we all share a passion for producing the best food we can for those we love. I know for me, that is a huge driving force behind my cooking. Thankful that the process of BBQ is so stinkin’ enjoyable :)

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »
I am not a great cook but  I love consuming......a 10++++++

Cooking a seven

Steak 10
Pizza 10
Chinese 10
Ribs 8
Tuna cooked 9
Sword Fish 9
Steamers 9
Eggs & bacon 10
Mexican 4.5
Turkey 7
Liver 6
Pasta 6
Italian 7
Burgers 9
Hot dogs 8
Indian food 6.5
Bagels 8
English muffin 6.5
Italian bread 8.5
Shrimp 6.5
Fish & chips 7.5
Fries 8.5

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Cookin' the 'cue is a 10 for me.  The "aroma therapy" works so well to calm me down. 
All seriousness aside...I wasn't all that good in sports (didn't have the body).  I have friends who can always catch more fish.  I don't have the fastest car, either.  But let me get those guys in my backyard and I'll out-cook 'em every time.

My favorite food depends on what I have in the smoker or on the grill.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!