Author Topic: BASIC TURKEY GRAVY  (Read 13182 times)

Offline Hub

BASIC TURKEY GRAVY
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
I'm posting this a few days ahead for any who get sweaty palms or need reassurance and maybe a little reminder about how to create GRAVY to go along with Thursday's traditional feast.   Remember, this is BASIC -- not fancified or hard to make or needing any sophisticated ingredients.  Take it where you want to take it or leave it basic or buy the gravy already made from Heinz in glass jars if you need to.

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 stick butter
4 cups Turkey drippings OR 4 cups Chicken stock

How to:

In a saucepan, melt the butter and slowly mix in the flour until you get a thick paste.  Chefs call this a roux (pronounced "roo") but I just call it what it is -- goo.  Once it is all gooey, let it cook a minute or two to get rid of the floury taste.  Then, slowly add (while stirring) the liquid.  It'll take a few minutes, but the goo and the liquid will (keep stirring and don't let it burn) turn into the desired elixir.

Hint:  Real turkey drippings from a bird that's been roasting in a pan in the oven make HEAVENLY gravy while while providing delicious saturated fat.  Making the gravy from stock instead of drippings is healthier but not as rich.  You can compromise and go half drippings and half stock and still get good stuff.  Call it like you want it to be.  Personally, I eat pretty healthy most of the time but Thanksgiving is not one of those times  ;)

Happy Thanksgiving and the best of GRAVY to ya!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: BASIC TURKEY GRAVY
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
I remember my first exposure to the concept of a roux was from watching Justin Wilson back in the day.  Never saw my mom make one ! ! !

Happy GRAVYday ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
That's what I use for my creamed onions thanks Hub
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »
Saute the drippings to caramelize them to get a nice deep brown color(maillard reaction) and then de glaze the pan with chicken or turkey stock. It will kick up the Umami component and gravy color a notch or two. Every year when the turkey carcass, wings etc. has been picked clean, I chunk up the bones so they'll compact some in a stock pot, cover with water and simmer on a stove for several hours. Then I strain all the bones etc. from the elixir, and freeze in quart size ziplock freezer bags. We cook several turkeys throughout the year and we're never short of poultry stock. If you have an Instant Pot or equivalent, so much the better.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:19:08 PM »
Thank you obi wan kenobi
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:15:35 AM »
Thanks...
Love to cook and eat

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
My mom grew up in an orphanage where they had chickens and lots of eggs.  She learned how to make gravy using a very similar recipe; but the gravy had thin slices of boiled eggs added.  For me it's not Thanksgiving without turkey gravy with eggs over dressing.
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
I use the recipe Hub posted...But one exception....When I am prepping the turkey - I put the neck, preacher's nose, and organs ( giblets, et al...) in a pot with some chicken broth  to cover them - and simmer for several hours - until the meat falls off the bones. Separate out the neck bones.

Next,I use an immersion blender to mince the pieces...and then add the butter and flour after re-heating ....makes for a thicker, meatier gravy.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
I use the recipe Hub posted...But one exception....When I am prepping the turkey - I put the neck, preacher's nose, and organs ( giblets, et al...) in a pot with some chicken broth  to cover them - and simmer for several hours - until the meat falls off the bones. Separate out the neck bones.

Next,I use an immersion blender to mince the pieces...and then add the butter and flour after re-heating ....makes for a thicker, meatier gravy.

I also put the trinity(celery, carrots, onions) in the turkey drip catching pan with chicken broth. It all gets immersion blended and added to the gravy.

Offline Pappymn

BASIC TURKEY GRAVY
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 11:39:54 PM »

Pope's nose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »

Pope's nose

It is a Pope's Nose to Northern Catholics and Lutherans.....

It is a Preacher's nose to Southern Baptist's and other Protestants..... ;) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

BASIC TURKEY GRAVY
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »

Pope's nose

It is a Pope's Nose to Northern Catholics and Lutherans.....

It is a Preacher's nose to Southern Baptist's and other Protestants..... ;) :D :D :D

And who said I am too old to learn things. Much appreciated

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline DWard51

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
add a little onion powder, white pepper, and salt to taste and it is spot on.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »

Fantastic tip “T”
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.