Author Topic: Gameday Cook Review: Pork Belly Burnt Ends, Moinks, & Some Terrible Craft Beer  (Read 378 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Gameday Cook Review: Pork Belly Burnt Ends, Moinks, & Some Terrible Craft Beer
« Reply #-1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »
Decided to host a game day for the Cowboys vs. Iggles game, and it felt like a good excuse to crank up the Blaz'n Gridiron.  While other folks brought take out wings, pizza, and snacks, I figured I could raise the bar a bit.  One friend brought over a Holiday Stout Sampler from Southern Star Brewing (Conroe, TX) ... but more on this later.

Decided to break into my little trove of pork belly for some pork belly burnt ends, and wanted to supplement it with some moink balls.  Prepped the pork belly into 1.5" cubes and seasoned them with my standard pork rub.  After twelve hours in the fridge, they went on the smoker at 175° for an hour to pickup some smoke, then bumped the temp to 250° for another hour.

Decided to sauce the pork belly with a mix of my homemade "Georgia Gold" BBQ Sauce, some hot honey, some Splenda Brown Sugar, cracked pepper, a bit of extra rub, and 3/4 of a stick of salted butter.

They went back into the smoker at 300° covered, and the moinks joined them for the last bit.  The moinks got a new ancho rub I've been toying with and some decent applewood smoked bacon.

After 60 minutes, I uncovered the belly and let them roll for another 20 to help set the sauce.  One of my friends who claims to have OCD about getting stick things on his hands limited us to unsauced moinks (I'm fairly certain he's also a card carrying member of the Communist party).

All in all, the pork belly burnt ends were a winner ... much like the Cowboys yesterday as they sent Philly packing with a loss.  The moinks, lacking their normal sauce, were a bit dry but perked up when drizzled in the leftover sauce from the belly. 

What was not a winner was that godawful beer.  I'm not a stout guy usually, but if I'd known that the "holiday theme" was "dessert" ... including flavors like S'mores, Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Orange, and Irish Creme .... well, let's just say the guest list would have been one man less.  Southern Star makes some decent craft brews, but this effort is not among them.

All in all, a great day in Texas ... the Cowboys won, barbecue was eaten, and good times were had.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Great looking cook!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
I like your style of cooking, that all looks excellent!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Bayoucajun

Food looked awesome, beer looked god awful. As your friend is concerned tell him it's not his job to ruin good BBQ.

Offline Pappymn

Gameday Cook Review: Pork Belly Burnt Ends, Moinks, & Some Terrible Craft Beer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »
Boy I would love to hit that plate hard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california