Author Topic: Trager pellets ?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #-1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »
Are trager pellets any good ? Their the only brand I have access to locally. If their not recommended I will order a better brand online.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline KyNola

Re: Trager pellets ?
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Traeger pellets are made from alder wood, don't burn very hot, produces a lot of ash and has no flavor wood in them. They only have the oil from the flavor wood in them.  I would not recommend them.

Find a source for BBQ'ers Delight  They are far superior.  You can order them from Big Poppa Smokers.

Offline rwalters

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
Personally, I will not burn Traeger pellets. I order online, typically through Cookin Pellets. When I do, I go with the 15 bag mini bulk order and typically split it (8/7) with a buddy. Have you checked around at local sporting goods stores. There are a number of retailers that carry Lumberjack... another great option. Maybe go to LJ’s website and see if you can’t find a local dealer?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Traeger pellets are made from alder wood, don't burn very hot, produces a lot of ash and has no flavor wood in them. They only have the oil from the flavor wood in them.  I would not recommend them.

Find a source for BBQ'ers Delight  They are far superior.  You can order them from Big Poppa Smokers.

Thank you
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Personally, I will not burn Traeger pellets. I order online, typically through Cookin Pellets. When I do, I go with the 15 bag mini bulk order and typically split it (8/7) with a buddy. Have you checked around at local sporting goods stores. There are a number of retailers that carry Lumberjack... another great option. Maybe go to LJ’s website and see if you can’t find a local dealer?

I’ll try dicks sporting goods. I thought about cookingoellets too but I really wanted oak and they don’t have that .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
Dicks carries Lumberjack. Almost certain you can order directly online for home delivery. Not sure if it’s all the time, but I noticed FREE shipping the other day on orders over $25. Might be a  Christmas thing...
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Thanks rob. I order a few bags of oak from dicks online . I’m gonna get the rest from cooking pellets
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pappymn

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
Do you have a Cabelas near by. Cabelas pellets are actually lumberjack. Also, check Craig's list. People here by in bulk and then sell them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »
Do you have a Cabelas near by. Cabelas pellets are actually lumberjack. Also, check Craig's list. People here by in bulk and then sell them.

Really?!?! I had no idea that Cabelas pellets are LJ rebranded. I think Bass Pro Shop carries them. Gonna have to look into it :)

Offline Pappymn

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »

Really?!?! I had no idea that Cabelas pellets are LJ rebranded. I think Bass Pro Shop carries them. Gonna have to look into it :)
Yep. I was curious one day and did some Google research.  And since Bass Pro and Cabelas are now the same company that would make sense.

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
Avoid Treager pellets at all costs.   You can order cooking pellets perfect mix from Amazon with free shipping.

you can also order Grilla grill and Rec Tec pellets from their respective web-sites with free shipping.

Pit Boss Competition pellets you can get from Walmart...usually 40 lbs for around 16 bucks. You can order on-line for free ship to store pickup.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
Avoid Treager pellets at all costs.   You can order cooking pellets perfect mix from Amazon with free shipping.

you can also order Grilla grill and Rec Tec pellets from their respective web-sites with free shipping.

Pit Boss Competition pellets you can get from Walmart...usually 40 lbs for around 16 bucks. You can order on-line for free ship to store pickup.
What can you tell us about Pit Boss pellets? Any good? Do they use a base filler? Have wondered about them...

Offline Pappymn

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »

Hey Smoke, how far are you now from lumberjack HQ?

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
If I do a bulk order , will they keep for a year or 2 if kept in an airtight bucket. ? I don’t want to do a bulk order if they don’t keep
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

Trager pellets ?
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
If I do a bulk order , will they keep for a year or 2 if kept in an airtight bucket. ? I don’t want to do a bulk order if they don’t keep
Absolutely! Will they be kept in the garage? If you go w/ Cookin’ Pellets, each 40 pound bag comes in its own individual cardboard box. Super clean way to store! You should have absolutely zero issues if they are kept in the garage.