Author Topic: Dry aging concerns  (Read 436 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Dry aging concerns
« Reply #-1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:23:54 AM »
I got a whole 7 bone in rib roast. It was suggested to put paper towel or wax paper on the bones so they don’t puncture the Unami bag. I didn’t do that. I didn’t wanna risk contamination and just did a clean transfer bag to bag. I don’t think I have a perfect seal but it’s decent. I have a couple questions if anyone knows.

1. Even if the seal isint perfect , isint it going to dry age regardless ?

2. Last time I did one my fridge still has the smell from it. It’s a spare fridge so it’s not the end of the world. I’m going to order some activated charcoal filters to hopefully get the smell out. Baking soda isint doing the trick.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

Re: Dry aging concerns
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
I’m desperate for advice. I have an expensive whole prime rib in Unami dry age bag. Been there since the 17th December. The bond is definitely not a bond. It’s loose. Will it dry age anyway or go bad at this point. Panic is setting in. I have no more bags to do a reseal
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
it is losing weight and shrinking. Loose is okay- at least with my experience with Umai
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
LH, I just read your latest post. I was thinking about bag contact with the meat and had this brain fart. If you were to take some cheese cloth and pressure wrap it around and around like you were taping it up with duct tape from one end to the other it would put positive contact between the bag and meat. Cheese cloth would not impede the egress of moisture through the bag at all.

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
LH, I just read your latest post. I was thinking about bag contact with the meat and had this brain fart. If you were to take some cheese cloth and pressure wrap it around and around like you were taping it up with duct tape from one end to the other it would put positive contact between the bag and meat. Cheese cloth would not impede the egress of moisture through the bag at all.

Good idea . I bet your really good at fixing stuff .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
You can do that but you don't need to. When I asked the same question a while back, the UMAi folks told me it was ok and referred me to this video to see how loose the bag was.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.