Author Topic: Aside from your smokers and grills, what are your favorite kitchen gadgets?  (Read 782 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Aside from your smokers and grills, what are your favorite kitchen gadgets?
« Reply #-1 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
Over the years I have belonged to many a forum, even was an Admin for one for a while (lesson learned there, believe you me!) . In my travels amongst like minded people, I have been coerced into buying lots of tools/gadgets/appliances that I didn't know that I needed, lol.

The latest development, as seen here : https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=23535.msg298469;topicseen#msg298469 has made me realize that I too, need to make pasta at home :)

I today have ordered a couple of goodies to add to my already out of hand collection of cooking apparatuses. This hobby we all share has, I'm sure, led to us all buying things. Some maybe we didn't like and others we wonder how we got along without. Here's some of the stuff I've gotten and my honest opinion of whether or not it lived up to the billing. Today's purchases will be on the list but can't attest to their worthiness as of yet, I'll update when I have something to say.

Here we go!

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer - Probably my favorite kitchen thing ever. I didn't know how much I'd love having this thing! It's made baking a joy. I can't count how many batches of cookie dough and pizza dough I've made in that thing. It's good to shred chicken with too, using the paddle attachment!

Meat Grinder - I used it a fair bit at first but probably haven't made any homemade sausage in 2 years or even ground up meat for burgers (nothing like fresh ground chuck with brisket for burgers!)

LEM Sausage stuffer - Works well, but like I said above, it's been a while since I've used it

LARGE pressure cooker for canning - Used twice, enough said, lol

Anova Sous Vide (Precision Cooker, first model) - I like it, use it a few times a year. Need to use it more often. Could I live without it? Yeah.

Electric Panini Press - Cheap, easy to use, why don't I use this thing more?????

Rice Cooker - Works well, makes great rice. I don't use it enough to justify having bought it.

Mealthy Multi-Pot (Instant Pot clone) - LOVE IT! Use it a lot. VERY happy with this purchase, wish I had bought one years ago.

10" Deli Meat Slicer - Great to use, terrible to clean. I don't use it as much as first thought, cleaning it is why!

Belgian Waffle Maker - I'm more of a pancake eater but I have used it to make waffle mac'n cheese!

Food Savers - I have 2, been a great addition to the arsenal

Ice Cream Machine - Only had it a week but so far so good! It'll get used more than I like to admit ;)

Electric Roaster - Good for keeping food warm at parties. It's served us well

Multiple Crock Pots - How can I say anything bad about a crock pot? Everyone knows and loves them. A must have I think.

And.....finally, today's impulse buy, lol

I bought a Marcato Atlas 150 "wellness" pasta machine along with a ravioli press and a pasta drying rack as well as an attachment for the Kitchenaid that will let me make "tube pasta". I went off of the deep end friends. As the kids say, YOLO! :P

Once I make some pasta dishes, I'll be able to report on the usefulness of these products. Good, bad or indifferent, I'll give an unbiased review in case any of y'all are on the fence. I'll take one for the team, hahaha!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

RG I am not the cook you are but I do love the crock pots, Air fryer, &  most things in the kitchen.

Does the dishwasher count? LOL  I have a buddy that cooked bluefish in his dishwasher.

How about the wine opener does that count lol

We had a pasta maker but put on to much weight when we were first married.

I do plan on doing more Sous vide this year as that has been great the times I have done it.

Had an ice cream maker as a kid but now I want my boat to float when I get in it...…….the darn weight thing again.

I love the blender does that count?

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

RG I am not the cook you are but I do love the crock pots, Air fryer, &  most things in the kitchen.

Does the dishwasher count? LOL  I have a buddy that cooked bluefish in his dishwasher. I guess if you can cook in it or use it to aid in cooking or prep, then why not? LOL

How about the wine opener does that count lol Sure does! It's a gadget

We had a pasta maker but put on to much weight when we were first married.

I do plan on doing more Sous vide this year as that has been great the times I have done it.

Had an ice cream maker as a kid but now I want my boat to float when I get in it...…….the darn weight thing again.

I love the blender does that count? Indeed. We have a Ninja Blender thingy, I forgot about that, it works well.

I also forgot that we have an air fryer, nothing fancy. It hasn't been used in some time, it doesn't work the best, probably since it's a cheapo model.

One thing that I also didn't think of is our Ninja Coffee Machine. It allows us to make all kinds of different coffees, hot and cold. Great purchase!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Salmonsmoker

I think my favorite kitchen gadget is a fork. ;D ;D

Offline RG

I think my favorite kitchen gadget is a fork. ;D ;D

That is indeed the best one yet!

Offline sparky

• northern california
My coffee grinder and pour over stuff.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Lemonhead78

Someone cooked fish in the dishwasher!!! Lol
For me the most basic thing, but used most often is the rice maker .
Something I wanna get is the keurig that makes soda .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Hard to say because I use a lot of things to cook with.       

Like your list RG I have toys I don't use a lot but when I can I use them.

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pac Man

I have to know the process for using the dishwasher as an oven!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Pappymn

I think that Keurig product bombed and was cut. Not 100% sure but pretty sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

Is the "Soda Stream" still a thing?

Offline Pappymn

Is the "Soda Stream" still a thing?
It sure is. Pepsi bought the company last year for like 3 billion bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

I will have to ask him but I think he foiled the blue fish & steamed it. He said it was good. ...saved on cleaning pots too
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pac Man

I will have to ask him but I think he foiled the blue fish & steamed it. He said it was good. ...saved on cleaning pots too

I bet you could make a whole meal in there that way....
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Salmonsmoker

Not much to it. Season the whole fish in cavity and outside, wrap well in foil, put in top rack of dish washer and run it for a cycle. Pretty much sous vide.
I you took a whole fish right out of the water and threw it in the dishwasher for a cycle, would it come out cooked and cleaned? ::)