Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this pistol??  (Read 867 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Anyone know anything about this pistol??
« Reply #-1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:42:36 AM »
One of my co-workers said to me  "I found your pistol"!  Its a Ruger 57  the bullets are slightly bigger than a .22 and more in line with a .223 with a smaler casing

With my bad hands and shoulders it's hard forme to handle a 1911 .45 cal or even a M&P .40 cal  but this little sweetheart fits the bill!!

Just wonder if anyone knows anything about it?     Is it reliable?    Does it jamb?  Priced right at 699.00 also

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: Anyone know anything about this pistol??
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »

My guess is that ammo will not be cheap. Have you considered a 9mm? Glock 43X is a nice pistol.
What do plan to use it for?
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:58:51 AM »

My guess is that ammo will not be cheap. Have you considered a 9mm? Glock 43X is a nice pistol.
What do plan to use it for?
Prices seem to run about .48 cents per shot so not real bad.    But the damage to my hands and shoulders makes it hard to fire anythong with a lot of re-coil and this one has very little
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:01:14 AM »
Ammo is pricey...and the round stays on the radar for the ATF. It can penetrate all body armor prior to 3-A...If I remember right. So - I wonder how common it will be...and for how long. All unknowns. 9mm is the most successful, and plentiful round for handguns - in the world. Available everywhere - and in more configurations than any other round....and - pretty inexpensive for most of them. I am a Springfield fan. Hs the "Glock style" of construction - polymer/steel combination. But - more safety features, lower price usually. I have owned Glocks - and carried them. Lots to like - and lots to hate. I can't stand the grip angle, but- that is me. The Springfield approach to grip angle is a compromise angle between the almost right angle of an Govt 1911 - and Glock. Feels more natural and the pistols comes to point faster for me. And the recoil is very manageable. I recommend that you go to a range that rents guns - and try a few. YMMV.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
I may get flamed for this BUT.....I really like a gun that I never thought I'd like and it's a Remington R51 of all things!  You can buy them now for $200 which is a throw away gun price. I can shoot very well with it, it's a 9mm with low recoil and I am very accurate with it and it feels comfortable in my hand. Speaking of Ruger, I have a Ruger SR40  but it's a brick of a gun, heavy. I don't shoot it often. It is well made though!

Probably my least favorite gun that I own is a S&W Bodyguard 380. It's little but I hate that sucker! LOL
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
  I'm on the same track as Tim on this one.  But I sure would like to put a couple hundred rounds through that 57 though.  The Springfield subcompacts fit my hand like a glove. Almost like they made it to a form of my hand.   I keep a M&P 45 at my desk and at close range its fine but not my favorite otherwise.  I bought Kerry a S&W Airweight 38 revolver for Christmas (Her first gun) She went to a 9 hour NRA class a couple weeks ago and came home with a level 2 cert. She's hooked now...  Out of a dozen guns she did the best with a Glock 43. She has problems with her wrist too and she said the Glock seemed easier to handle overall.  I think having a gun thats fits you well is a big key so Tommy if that 57 fits and is easy on your wrist  go for it.  I want to come up and shoot it sometimes if you get it!

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 11:27:03 PM »
You may want to give the Beretta PX4 9mm a chance at a demo day; the rotating barrel seems to really reduce recoil ... my .40 shoots like a traditional 9mm, so the 9mm should be a breeze even with arthritic hands.  Paired with something like Federal Hydrashok 135 grain it may be a good fit?

The FN-Herstal 57 is a blast to shoot, but I never really considered it due to ammo being a bit harder to find locally.  The Ruger's price point makes it a bit more of an attractive proposition, though.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
Hey Tim, just coincidentally, American Rifleman just did an extensive review of the Ruger 57.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
Tommy, I came across this article this morning. Thought you might be interested.https://gundigest.com/article/self-defense-do-the-5-7x28-25-acp-22-lr-and-22-wmr-cut-it