Author Topic: How is Myrtle Beach area to live?  (Read 797 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: How is Myrtle Beach area to live?
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
Just curious about the type of bugs there.  I know that the Georgia coast has those large knats, but I have no knowlege of anything in the Myrtle Beach area.  In the Florida keys, there are the no seeums which are aggrivating.  What bugs are in Myrtle Beach.
As a sidebar for Tee, where is the best place to live in North Carolina?  I have visited Franklin, and really like the area.

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
As a NC native who has spent a good bit of time in other parts of the country, I do love my home state.  There's such a diversity between Manteo (Outer Banks beach area) and Murphy (Small mountain town as far west as you can go).  Between those two extremes you can find large metropolitan areas (charlotte, the triangle), hip liberal cities (Asheville, Chapel Hill), and plenty of small town rural america painted all around.  It's not difficult to find a place you fit in....and easy to find interesting places to visit.

Living in the central piedmont, I can be at most beaches in around four hours; or in the mountains in 2 hours.  As you might guess from my screen name, I love the mountains around Boone.  I'm hoping to have a vacation home in the area soon.  I enjoy the beach but I don't think I'd want to live there full time.  If I did, I'd be looking at Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, or Holden Beach.  All three are family beaches with no high rise buildings and no real craziness.  That said, Myrtle beach is half an hour to an hour away if you are feeling the need for some tourist town shenanigans or dining.

There's no 'best" city for everyone.  It all comes down to what is most important to you.  It's a big world out there with many many exciting places to live and learn.
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »
Just curious about the type of bugs there.  I know that the Georgia coast has those large knats, but I have no knowlege of anything in the Myrtle Beach area.  In the Florida keys, there are the no seeums which are aggrivating.  What bugs are in Myrtle Beach.
As a sidebar for Tee, where is the best place to live in North Carolina?  I have visited Franklin, and really like the area.

We have no seeums here in CT too. But they are just in the marsh areas. I also found out about the snakes in Myrtle. We have only two poison snakes here in CT & one is only in the north central part of the state. The Copperheads are here but that is it. Down there they have like 5 types that bite LOL.

Alligators down there Black bears up here lol

Why is crime so high in parts of the south. I live in NY at one time but the rates in the south seem higher. Hard to believe.

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
I love living outside of Philly. Expensive at times, yes, but not really any major disaster threats. No hurricane issues, no earthquakes, no tornados. Some snow and ice yeah, but fair trade off to have 4 seasons, access to a coupe cities (Philly, NYC, Balitmore, DC, Atlantic City if you want to try your luck).  Taxes aren't as bad at CT and the roads about a little worse, but the power supply is better (Wife lived in ManchestAH, and Norwich, after her stint in Storrs, I heard all about it).

I do have a friend on TV in Wilmington, NC and he loves the area.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:30 PM »
I love living outside of Philly. Expensive at times, yes, but not really any major disaster threats. No hurricane issues, no earthquakes, no tornados. Some snow and ice yeah, but fair trade off to have 4 seasons, access to a coupe cities (Philly, NYC, Balitmore, DC, Atlantic City if you want to try your luck).  Taxes aren't as bad at CT and the roads about a little worse, but the power supply is better (Wife lived in ManchestAH, and Norwich, after her stint in Storrs, I heard all about it).

I do have a friend on TV in Wilmington, NC and he loves the area.

Speaking of Storrs a few years ago on the computer they said it was the safest place to live in the USA from natural disaster.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
As a NC native who has spent a good bit of time in other parts of the country, I do love my home state.  There's such a diversity between Manteo (Outer Banks beach area) and Murphy (Small mountain town as far west as you can go).  Between those two extremes you can find large metropolitan areas (charlotte, the triangle), hip liberal cities (Asheville, Chapel Hill), and plenty of small town rural america painted all around.  It's not difficult to find a place you fit in....and easy to find interesting places to visit.

Living in the central piedmont, I can be at most beaches in around four hours; or in the mountains in 2 hours.  As you might guess from my screen name, I love the mountains around Boone.  I'm hoping to have a vacation home in the area soon.  I enjoy the beach but I don't think I'd want to live there full time.  If I did, I'd be looking at Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, or Holden Beach.  All three are family beaches with no high rise buildings and no real craziness.  That said, Myrtle beach is half an hour to an hour away if you are feeling the need for some tourist town shenanigans or dining.

There's no 'best" city for everyone.  It all comes down to what is most important to you.  It's a big world out there with many many exciting places to live and learn.

If money were no object I would live on Nantucket Island......best place on earth.  Beach in the summer & whiskey the rest of the year LOL, But with a family & millions of dollars short .....Powerball is my only chance,

Yes for me it would be the beach. but my kids want action & my wife would take peace. The dog well i have not asked him yet.

I just love the ocean.

I am 40 minutes away from the boat & we do live in a nice state except for $$$$. Do you notice how $$$$ always gets in the way. lol

We are looking & we must take to the road to find out.

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:14 PM »
Do they still have more tacky t-shirt shops and miniature golf courses per acre than anyplace else in the US?

yes...gawd YES..... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
Do they still have more tacky t-shirt shops and miniature golf courses per acre than anyplace else in the US?

yes...gawd YES..... :D

Miniature golf courses good now I need to find a caddy & a golf cart.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Bill2112

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
Just don't consider asheville, notice I didn't capitalize it, it has become remember the Bible story of Sodom and Gomorrah?, need I say anymore, nightly protests, city government is useless and no law to be found, it's pretty bad when your hometown is on the national news for the violence and destruction.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
Just don't consider asheville, notice I didn't capitalize it, it has become remember the Bible story of Sodom and Gomorrah?, need I say anymore, nightly protests, city government is useless and no law to be found, it's pretty bad when your hometown is on the national news for the violence and destruction.

A friend moved there 30 years ago & loved it I guess times have changed
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline nylic76

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
I went to Myrtle Beach for more than 50 years.  When I started going in the 60s, it was great, but now it is a place I stay away from.  It is much to commercialized and the biker rallies and other things Tee mentioned, caused it to lose its appeal.  The beaches in SE NC such as Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, Sunset, and Oak Island,  are smaller, much less commercialized, have no high rise hotels/condos.  Nothing but 2 story homes on stilts.  Nice family beaches.  In fact, as I type this I am at Holden Beach.  Holden is 40 miles south of Wilmington and 40 miles north of Myrtle Beach.  Great place to hang out.  Less expensive than the Myrtle Beach.  Less expensive but not cheap.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
I went to Myrtle Beach for more than 50 years.  When I started going in the 60s, it was great, but now it is a place I stay away from.  It is much to commercialized and the biker rallies and other things Tee mentioned, caused it to lose its appeal.  The beaches in SE NC such as Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, Sunset, and Oak Island,  are smaller, much less commercialized, have no high rise hotels/condos.  Nothing but 2 story homes on stilts.  Nice family beaches.  In fact, as I type this I am at Holden Beach.  Holden is 40 miles south of Wilmington and 40 miles north of Myrtle Beach.  Great place to hang out.  Less expensive than the Myrtle Beach.  Less expensive but not cheap.

Thanks looking at NC a online now
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill