Author Topic: My First Brisket & First major Smoking/Cook in over 3 years (Long Story, Kind of  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
My older brother gave me a nice 13lb packer for my 66th birthday which is coming up this week. It's my first major cook in years {I've been battling some medical isssues, my MS has made me totally disabled) I've been reading for 8 hours now, I think I'm ready [I better be, it's been in the smoker for just over an hour] My main question at this point is; When should I add some wood chips for the smoke. I don't want to 'over-do-it'.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
First, sorry to hear of your health issues. We all hope you can continue improving.
Now...about smoke ....just how much smoke is enough is a very personal  preference. But most like at least 4 hours of smoke at the beginning of the cook while the surface of the meat is still moist and able to absorb the smoke. Hope that helps
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lines

Hey BigDon, hope you improve daily in the health area. I see you're from Iowa. We lived in Drakesville, Ia. for 25 years before moving to Alabama to retire. Retirement for me comes in 2 more months. I prefer about 3-4 hours of smoke, while my wife says an hour or so is enough for her. Either way it will satisfy someone for sure. Good luck with your cook, and hope this winter up there is mild for you guys!