Author Topic: Anyone having this problem.....with cooking in this day & age? Different Diets  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

I am not the best chef like most of you folks are.....But I was trying....until now.

In my family My daughter is Vegan, My wife is ...well lets say is very very limited by choice in her diet....My son is very finicky to say the least.  Grandama is like her daughter & I will eat most things.

There is no way I can cook a meal that everyone will eat....It is driving me crazy. If it was as simple as one likes ketchup & one likes mustard or hard roll or burger bun that would be fine but this is crazy & no I don't like cooking for one...ME

No meat, no veggies, no wheat, no beans, no corn, no lettuce, no tomato, no pasta...no this no that.

I am lost.

the funny part is if I cook for one...me ...I get looks from the others lol

& it is getting worse by the day.  There are too many diets that people are getting richer by the day selling to people, like the Blood type diet to the eat every two hour diet ......get this one now..... just three meals a day six hours apart.

What happened to a cheeseburger on a bun with chips, Mac salad & pickles with a coke or beer?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:05:42 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Hell-of-a deal.  My Norwegian wife is rather fussy and stubborn in her food choices and my daughter has odd but serious food allergies but I can work around them.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Roget

I can certainly feel your pain.
When you cook for someone, you want them to enjoy it.
I do all the cooking in our house. Have for twenty five or so years.

When my Granddaughter lived with V & I, It was really hard to cook something that everyone enjoyed.
She was very selective in what she ate.
Now that she is on her own it is just V & myself that I have to please.

Now it is one of my easiest obligations. V could not care less what we have for meals. (or desserts, or snacks, etc.)
I always ask her what she would like for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, just in case she has a taste for something in particular.
I always get the same answer. "Whatever you want to fix, Sweetie."
And she means it. No matter what I cook, big fancy meal or half a$$ snack, she never complains. In fact she will compliment me on a meal that I have just thrown together.

I'm not a great chef, but I enjoy cooking for her. She makes it so easy.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Tailgating is my game

You are a lucky man as I am too. My wife & daughter care about their health & that is why they do what they do. I have swung overt there way more than they have my way lol.....But i draw the line as I still love my beef, & pasta....It is just that I eat them less,.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
I cook for me. If you like it that's great, if not get making something you like then.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
I cook for me. If you like it that's great, if not get making something you like then.
I REALLY like that idea.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

That's pretty much how it works around here but I thought Canadians were too polite for that kind of behavior.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline old sarge

Been married to the same woman for 48 years.  Diets change with age and health. One adapts (or goes hungry). Wife and I chose to adapt and limit.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
I can certainly feel your pain.
When you cook for someone, you want them to enjoy it.
I do all the cooking in our house. Have for twenty five or so years.

When my Granddaughter lived with V & I, It was really hard to cook something that everyone enjoyed.
She was very selective in what she ate.
Now that she is on her own it is just V & myself that I have to please.

Now it is one of my easiest obligations. V could not care less what we have for meals. (or desserts, or snacks, etc.)
I always ask her what she would like for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, just in case she has a taste for something in particular.
I always get the same answer. "Whatever you want to fix, Sweetie."
And she means it. No matter what I cook, big fancy meal or half a$$ snack, she never complains. In fact she will compliment me on a meal that I have just thrown together.

I'm not a great chef, but I enjoy cooking for her. She makes it so easy.

KEEP HER. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

Over the years I've become pretty much immune to trying to please everyone.  I fix a good meal and I can make several dishes so that there's something for everyone, pretty much.  As my family has disappeared into the woodwork, it's actually easier now.  I absolutely know what my wife and I like and then I just fix that and, if we have a guest or two, I add a little more variety.  If they don't like it, I have a favorite phrase I've used for years to take care of refusals at my table:  "Dominos delivers."

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN