Author Topic: Charcoal  (Read 5780 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Charcoal
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 06:38:29 PM »
We have a hickory tree in our backyard that loses a few twigs every so often, so I gather those up and save to throw in the Kingsford briquettes for more smoke flavor.

Lucky guy.

There are shagbark hickories growing in the woods fairly close to me.  I can't think of a way to approximately appropriately harvest wood from them.  I never see one toppled.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:09:18 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 10:15:30 AM »
I should point out that my fondness for Kamado Joe Big Block lump doesn't apply to all devices.  It doesn't work well in my gravity fed Masterbuilt 1050.

I use various charcoal varieties in my various grills & smokers.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
I'm not a "snob".  When it comes to brand names and name brands, I'm unimpressed.  My Dad would cook hamburgers on the grill for us and he always used Kingsford - back the '50s and early '60s I don't know if there WAS another brand.
When I started grillin', I followed his lead and use Kingsford.  I bought a large bag of B&B lump last Fall thinking I would use it in my CharGriller 980 and I'm pretty sure I will.
My choice may have to do with the memories I have of the simpler days with my Dad.  We didn't have a grill - we had a grill grate or maybe it was and old oven rack.  Dad got the charcoal going on the dirt, then use two cinder blocks to support the grate for the burgers.  I can still remember that scene and smell that smoke when I light my Kingsford.  I don't get that from just any old brand of charcoal.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pmillen

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 03:38:38 PM »
I can still remember that scene and smell that smoke when I light my Kingsford.  I don't get that from just any old brand of charcoal.

To me, that indicates that Kingsford is significantly different from everything else you've cooked over.  I get that.

I'm rather fond of Fogo lump.  I think it delivers a taste comparable to cooking with wood.  I don't think other brands match it.
Paul

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 06:53:15 PM »
WARNING! Minor thread hijack/diversion follows (with any apologies you think are necessary):

Like Jack I'm kind of a Kingsford guy, mostly because it's always available (a big issue in Hawaii until recently) and, after eating "fired food" almost as many years as Jack (and Bremer), I'm used to it. My real preference, however, hasn't been mentioned (probably because this thread is titled "Charcoal," not "Outdoor carbon-based cooking fuels").

When I can con some out of friends with excess and I'm not being lazy (a smaller portion of the time every year), the ONLY way to grill is over WOOD. Not pellets, chips, or chunks, with or without charcoal - just real WOOD, like it came off the tree (but dried and usually split). It may not be as easy as charcoal and there's a learning curve involved (right wood for the cook, building a fire in a pit or grill, fire tending, etc.) but nothing can replace (or even approach) the amazing flavor of food cooked over real wood.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 07:17:39 PM »
I'm asking this not to be argumentative, but to clarify your point...

Are you thinking that it couldn't have tasted differently if different charcoal had been used?  Maybe worse?  Maybe better?

And I hope that you think that I was meaning to start something.  I was just pointing out that, for a number of us grillers/smokers, the Kingsford brand brings out strong feelings.

My best advice for the OP is to try different brands, lump vs briquette, etc. and see what fits his style of cooking and his, and his family's, taste.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »
kingsford is definitely part of my DNA but switching to B&B charcoal has worked out nicely for me
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
I enjoyed all the discussion so far.  I just tried the Jealous Devil briquettes, and they did not last long like they advertised and temps not high.   I want to try the B & B as the comments here are positive.  I used to like Stubbs but do not see them now in stores here.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 03:59:18 PM »
Very surprised the Jealous devil briqs dissapointed. I think you will like the B&B briquettes. I use them in the snake method in my charcoal oven and they work nicely
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 04:18:20 AM »
WARNING! Minor thread hijack/diversion follows (with any apologies you think are necessary):

Like Jack I'm kind of a Kingsford guy, mostly because it's always available (a big issue in Hawaii until recently) and, after eating "fired food" almost as many years as Jack (and Bremer), I'm used to it. My real preference, however, hasn't been mentioned (probably because this thread is titled "Charcoal," not "Outdoor carbon-based cooking fuels").

When I can con some out of friends with excess and I'm not being lazy (a smaller portion of the time every year), the ONLY way to grill is over WOOD. Not pellets, chips, or chunks, with or without charcoal - just real WOOD, like it came off the tree (but dried and usually split). It may not be as easy as charcoal and there's a learning curve involved (right wood for the cook, building a fire in a pit or grill, fire tending, etc.) but nothing can replace (or even approach) the amazing flavor of food cooked over real wood.

Jus' sayin'...

That is  how I learned to cook over an open fire with real wood, not junk stuff split and aged, it doesn't get any better. And it tastes fabulous whatever you cook. Wood is getting harder to get around here now.  sad.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pmillen

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 01:35:52 PM »

[T]he ONLY way to grill is over WOOD. Not pellets, chips, or chunks, with or without charcoal - just real WOOD, like it came off the tree (but dried and usually split). It may not be as easy as charcoal and there's a learning curve involved (right wood for the cook, building a fire in a pit or grill, fire tending, etc.) but nothing can replace (or even approach) the amazing flavor of food cooked over real wood.[/b][/color]

I agree.  That's why I continually hope that the direct flame zones in pellet pits will reproduce that flavor.  Alas, in my experience it hasn't been so.
Paul

Offline Lines

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »
Lucky guy.

There are shagbark hickories growing in the woods fairly close to me.  I can't think of a way to approximately appropriately harvest wood from them.  I never see one toppled.

Do the hickory trees in your woods produce nuts? If so, I like collecting the hulls, green or dry, they also add great flavor when cooking with charcoal. They're easy to collect, and very easy to disperse among your charcoal. Nice sweet aroma too!

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 11:40:39 PM »
B&B when I can find a t a decent price. Kingsford most of the time..