Author Topic: Napoleon  (Read 3541 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Napoleon
« Reply #-1 on: June 06, 2023, 08:17:43 AM »
My brother in law just bought a Napoleon grill, and I was very impressed with the quality.  The unit was the prestige which I think is comparable to the Weber Genesis. The dealer that sold it to him had both (Weber and Napoleon) and talked about the firebox thickness for the Napoleon being a little bit thicker now that Weber isn't family owned anymore.  Him being in NYC he does not have any overhang to help protect his investment so he went with the Napoleon thinking ti would be better long term.

A few more visits and he may sway me to one when we are ready to upgrade from our 30 year old (rebuilt minus firebox) Weber.  Just thought I would share, I recall someone looking at new grills, and I was impressed.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline MJSBBQ

Re: Napoleon
« on: June 06, 2023, 09:15:01 AM »
After 17 years with my Char Red, it still worked fine, but igniters crashed, but still could easily hand light. It needed new grates, but I always use Grill Grates. It looked very crusty, and wife was on me to get a new grill.  The local Char Broil is basically Lowes, but could never get any help or information there. I did look at the Napoleon, but seemed a little more pricey. I settled on a Weber Genesis S 435. Found it on sale on line for around $1650. Had it free shipped to a local Ace Hardware store that assembled it and delivered for free.

I did my first cook on it this weekend. Wife wanted turkey burgers, and it did fine. I had a little trouble initially in that it would only heat to 250 degrees, but discovered that I had an issue with the flow valve safety (turned off, unscrewed the tank and reattached, waited 5 minutes and made sure all burner controls were off), and then restarted, it heated to 575 degrees quickly.

Of course there will be a learning curve with this cooker knowing the fine tuning of the burners, and knowing the hot and cold spots. Will let you know how things go.

Offline old sarge

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 08:36:07 PM »
The Napoleon has a good reputation and should last a good long time. Weber is still a good grill although I think their burners went a tad thin on certain models after the takeover.  But still popular.  And parts are always available.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline BobDE

• Lower Slower Delaware
    • Random Thoughts and Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 05:44:57 AM »
When my 25 year old Thermador finally died I did a LOT of research before deciding on the Napoleon. I LOVE THIS GRILL! I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a new grill.
Napoleon Prestige 500 with GrillGrates
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
Camp Chef FTG600

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:08:39 AM »
My brother in law just bought a Napoleon grill, and I was very impressed with the quality.  The unit was the prestige which I think is comparable to the Weber Genesis. The dealer that sold it to him had both (Weber and Napoleon) and talked about the firebox thickness for the Napoleon being a little bit thicker now that Weber isn't family owned anymore.  Him being in NYC he does not have any overhang to help protect his investment so he went with the Napoleon thinking ti would be better long term.

A few more visits and he may sway me to one when we are ready to upgrade from our 30 year old (rebuilt minus firebox) Weber.  Just thought I would share, I recall someone looking at new grills, and I was impressed.

How does it compare to the Monument Grills
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline KyNola

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:24:32 AM »
I bought a Napoleon Prestige last year. There is nothing about it I don’t like. The grates are  extremely heavy. It flat gets hot when you want it to. Mine came with the 1800 degree IR side sear burner. The grate for it is built from the same material as the grill grates. Has 2 height settings for it. All of the controls for the grill are lit so you can easily tell if you forgot to turn off a burner.
The grill is built like a tank. I know because I assembled it myself. Unless your wife is a weight lifter, you’ll need a buddy to help you set the grill assembly on the base. If I have anything negative to say, it would be that the assembly instructions could be better written. Other than that, it’s a great grill.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 10:43:53 AM »

How does it compare to the Monument Grills

Never heard or seen them
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759