Author Topic: Garden sauce with induction praise  (Read 1779 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Garden sauce with induction praise
« Reply #-1 on: August 24, 2023, 09:11:19 AM »
Garden is popping with San Marzano style tomatoes, so I was able to make some sauce.  I actually look forward to making sauce again even with a little time for 2 reasons. First my daughter likes helping me peel the tomatoes, and second we upgraded from electric to induction (amazing) so bringing water to a boil is literally 3 minutes for 3 qts of water.  Making the blanching process so much easier. More on Induction later....

Anyway we had a weeks worth of harvest  to make before going away on vacation for a week. Garden garlic and a yellow onion in the pot on low simmer with olive oil, until the tomatoes were all blanched off and peeled, then I added a carrot and dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper and stirred and letting warm while I did a rough dice on the tomatoes.  I added the tomatoes a little more oregano on top and let simmer for a couple hours until nice and thick, stirring hourly.  Once the thickness I wanted and the flavor was there I jarred from simmer and sealed the jars and allowed to cool before putting in the fridge.  I ended up with 2 jars of sauce (and some pickled cherry peppers).

Back to induction, I love cooking with gas when we moved the gas line was ready to be tapped with a capped T valve in the basement under the kitchen.  The house was built all electric, gas came to the neighborhood 15 years after the homes were built.  With no real exhaust hood I didn't want to get the gas stove until we remodeled the kitchen.  My buddy called more from his appliance sales job and said they had an induction that unit that could be sold at cost (basically half price) because the oven vent was bent 1/8".  I made the deal and we haven't looked back.  I'm at the point now that I would prefer it over gas.  Yes the cost is higher than electric, but we've saved on our electric bill and all cooking is 25-50% of the cooking time (Energy star rated our electric company gave us $150 rebate too).  The best part is the cook top is cool to touch within 5 minutes of removing the hot pot so I don't have to worry as much of my little girls touching a hot cook top.  Feel free to ask me anything about the induction, I love it (I think we are going to get a federal tax credit too, but unsure because I didn't convert from gas to electric but I will see next spring.

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Remram

Re: Garden sauce with induction praise
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:18:21 PM »
Excellent Deal also, sauce looks mighty delicious.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Garden sauce with induction praise
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 02:35:54 PM »
Very nice looking sauce and a beautiful Sous Chef ! ! !

Sadly, my experience with inductions, though, has been as positive as yours.  You can keep the stove . . . but I will take a jar of that sauce !!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC