Author Topic: Your mileage may vary  (Read 2623 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Your mileage may vary
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Charcoal versus pellet cost.

When I got my first pellet grill I was worried that my fuel cost would go up, especially using premium pellets, versus charcoal. 

After several cooks and keeping track of the pellet consumption and cost, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my pellet cost is just about tit for tat with what I was spending on charcoal (I use Royal oak lump or the Wal-Mart Briquettes - which are made by Royal Oak).

Even counting the extras:

With charcoal I also have the small additional cost of wood chunks.

With the pellet grill there's the small additional cost of electricity. The MAK's power usage while running is <62 watts. My Stoven uses even less electricity.

A good example: The old-school picnic hams we did this past holiday season took about 5 1/2 hours to hot smoke.

To keep the grill at 225° - 250° I used 2 chimneys full of briquettes - (approx. half a bag). Cost: approx. $3.50

At those same time & temps on the pellet grills, I would have used approx. 3.5 - 4 lbs pellets (0.66 - 0.75 lbs per hour at 225° - 250°).
Pellet cost = $1 per lb.  5 1/2 hours @ an average of .66 - .75 lb/hr My Estimated cost: $3.63 - $4.12

Factor in the wood chunk cost vs. electricity used and the cost really is within pennies of each other.

My yearly cost for the past two years has confirmed that I am spending no more on pellets than I was on charcoal. In fact if anything buying the pellets in bulk this past year saved me about 20%.  I am actually paying  $.80 - .85 per pound, not $1.00.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:53:00 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
Thanks Tent for the charcoal/pellet figures. I have been wigging out from time to time when refilling the hopper and I think my next pellet order I will talk to Eric about a bulk buy...a pallet of pellets  ;D  to help keep my costs down.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
That's our Cliff!

Great job Cliff. Granted there are some variables that have been pointed out by Hub and others - that is a nice guideline.

I truly believe that though we all love charcoal - it will continue to rise in price due to "regulatory issues"

And - conversely - we will see the pellet use grow, creating more demand, and thus following the "economy of scale" principle of economics - prices will decline for pellets. This is because they are seen from the regulatory side of the equation as a "recovery" product - something that is made from or can be made from a material that formerly was sent to the landfill. Namely - sawdust. ( Tho many pellet manufacturers are now milling their own sawdust directly from logs or boards. )
Pellets are much more energy efficient to manufacture as well. So - they have a bright future.

PS - don't forget about corn as a possible fuel to try either. Corn was used in pellet soves - which use the same auger and hot-rod technology ( in fact, pellet stoves are where the techology used in pellt cookers came from  ) Just check with your pellet cooker manufacturer first. I do know that the BTU's from corn are high....possibly higher than pure oak pellets!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
Here is a pooper that runs on corn

http://cornglo.com/corn-grill-pellet-grill-corn-glo.htm

Interesting, this pit does not have a hot rod, you light the pellets in the fire pot like we would have to if our heat rod went out.....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:54:04 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DK117

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
especially using premium pellets, versus charcoal. 

I don't think this has specifically been called out in this thread.  I'm below $.50 a lb for pellets.  That's retail one bag at a time at Cash n Carry Bear Mountain 20 or 33 lb bags are available.  Putting pellets at the highest cost on the spectrum I think assumes premium pellets.

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
Here in the Carolinas we have a slightly different use for corn.  Seems a waste to burn it.  You can't make whiskey out of hickory or oak, so burning those is okay.   But, corn needs careful coservation  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
Here in the Carolinas we have a slightly different use for corn.  Seems a waste to burn it.  You can't make whiskey out of hickory or oak, so burning those is okay.   But, corn needs careful coservation  ::)

Hub

WHAT was I thinking, Hub???? :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
I'm with Hub, corn is meant for better things, now corn cobs are another thing. 
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware