Author Topic: Making Bacon  (Read 801 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Making Bacon
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
I’ve been bitten by the bacon bug so I decided to make some home-cured smoked bacon.

You’ll need a pork belly. The one I purchased had the rind (skin) removed and weighed about 11 pounds. I trimmed off some of the excess fat and cut the belly into four pieces about 2 1/2 pounds (or so) each.

Then it was time to make up the maple cure:

1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon pink salt (sodium nitrite and salt)
1/2 cup pure Grade B maple syrup (don’t use imitation)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

Mix the cure together in a bowl and liberally apply to both surfaces of the bellies. Individually wrap the bellies with food film or place in large food storage bags. Refrigerate the bellies for seven days, turning over every other day. After curing, remove the bellies from the refrigerator and rinse under cold water. Pat dry and place the bellies on a cooling rack over a rimmed cookie pan. Season both sides liberally with Tim’s “Super Pig Bacon Rub” or your favorite pork rub and return the bellies to the refrigerator, uncovered, for one day to allow the meat to become firm and develop a sticky surface.

Prepare your smoker for a 225 degree F. cook using maple and apple wood. Smoke the bellies for two to 2 1/2 hours or to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F. Remove the bellies from the smoker and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. (I recommend partially freezing the bellies to make for easier slicing.)

Pan-fry or oven-roast the cured bacon to desired degree of doneness. You don’t want to overcook the bacon.

The cured bacon will keep, refrigerated, for one week or frozen for three months.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Making Bacon
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
I bet the Maple syrup combine with the Maple & Apple wood smoke really tastes good!

I love Maple Ham & Bacon. :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68