Author Topic: The short and Sweet on my Shrimp and Pork Sausage  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Sam3

Re: The short and Sweet on my Shrimp and Pork Sausage
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
I have had a change of heart. I am going to be lazy and not retype everything. The final pork to shrimp ratio that I am happy with is 5:2  here is the link to a 5 pound batch I made . Read through it and you should be able to get the jist of the recipe. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27310.0

Very nice of you to post this Chris.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »
I did the leg work on 10.5 famous Shrimp sausage and have it typed out.  If Chris gives permission I will cut and post it.  Otherwise go to the link he provided.  Going to make a batch up this weekend.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
I will bet that he has no problem with you posting it here Sailor.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
I did the leg work on 10.5 famous Shrimp sausage and have it typed out.  If Chris gives permission I will cut and post it.  Otherwise go to the link he provided.  Going to make a batch up this weekend.

Go for it Jim
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
I sure hate posting other members recipe without their permission but if T said it would be OK I will blame him    I have shown the typed up recipe to Chris and he said it looked like what he did.  On the wood for smoke I put Hickory because as far as I am concerned that is the only wood to smoke with    I will be making up a batch this weekend to see what the rave is all about.

10.5 Famous Shrimp and Pork Sausage

5 pounds ground pork
1.78 pounds 12/15 and .5 pound 51/60 cocktail shrimp (2 pounds of shrimp chopped up if you can't get the exact size)

3 TBS Cracked black pepper
2 TBS Granulated Garlic
4 TBS Dry Minced Onion
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Thyme
½ tsp Basil
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (want hotter....add a bit more)
4 tsp Non Iodized salt
1 TBL Crushed Red Pepper
1 Bag Zatarains Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil
1 Lemon
1 tsp of cure #1

Boil the shrimp in the Zatarains for 2 min or till done.  Reserve 10 oz of water for later.

Chop/Slice the Shrimp and put in bowl with 2 oz of the boil water and rest in fridge.  This adds some love.

Mix cure #1 and salt in the 8 oz of reserved boil bath water.  Add dry ingredients together and mix together.  Then portion out into 1/3 and mix with 1/3 of the pork.  Do this for the other 2/3 of pork.   Once the pork is mixed then mix all portions together to incorporate the dry mix well into the pork.   Once mixed then add the cure and salted 8 oz of boil water and mix well into the pork. 

Drain the shrimp and discard the excess 2 oz boil water.  Mix the shrimp into the meat mix. 

Stuff into 32-36 mm hog casings.

Hang in smoker for 1 hr at 130 to dry.  Bump to 140 and add 2 hrs of smoke (hickory).   Bump temp up 10 degrees every 2 hrs until IT is reached.  Bring IT to 135-140 then put in hot water bath to IT of 152.  Hot water bath should not be above 165.  After bath plunge in ice water bath and then bloom.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:39:06 PM by Sailor1 »

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
Just as I posted it I see that Chris posted the OK.  Looks like I am in the clear.  Chris, check it over to make sure I did not goof up on the recipe.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
The short and Sweet on my Shrimp and Pork Sausage
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
Those look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
It is a great flavor combination that you don't expect. Really good.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scott6049

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
Thanks for the recipe.....,I can't wait to try it... It look awesome:)
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
Just as I posted it I see that Chris posted the OK.  Looks like I am in the clear.  Chris, check it over to make sure I did not goof up on the recipe.
Looks fine Jim like I said when we were discussing it. As long as they use the 5:2 ratio of pork to shrimp. It doesn't matter what kind of shrimp they use.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 10:55:52 PM »
It is a great flavor combination that you don't expect. Really good.
To better describe it. The flavor profile is an intense blast of flavor with some heat. That fades fast and leaves you wanting more.

Offline Scott6049

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »

Looks fine Jim like I said when we were discussing it. As long as they use the 5:2 ratio of pork to shrimp. It doesn't matter what kind of shrimp they use.

Do you mean 5lbs of pork to 2 lbs of shrimp?
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »

Do you mean 5lbs of pork to 2 lbs of shrimp?
Yep that would be correct. The reason I use a combination of big and little shrimp. Is I can buy one pound bags of fresh frozen bigger shrimp. Since I am making the boil water anyhow I use those. Then cut them into 3rds. The little salad shrimp are in there mainly for presentation.  Cut a sausage open and see a whole little shrimp looks pretty cool. You get most of your shrimp flavor from the big shrimp that were boiled.

Make sure the salad shrimp soak in the COOLED boil water!! They will cook down to about the size of Teesquares tallywhacker if the boil water is still boiling