Author Topic: Don't forget  (Read 706 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Don't forget
« Reply #-1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Do not forget get small kindnesses and do not remember small faults.   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Don't forget
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
Dee,

Of all the quotes, humor, advice, etc that you have posted since I "met" you (and there have been hundreds of gems) this is probably one of the best and most important for living a good life. If I can be humble enough to remember this and live it, I know I will be blessed. I have met (a very few) people that live this maxim - they are folks I treasure and will never forget.

Thank you,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Don't forget
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »
As an Eagle Scout, we were taught to "do a good turn daily."

Seems pretty sound advice
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »
Dee, in my 36+ years at the phone company starting as the lowest grunt who was the first guy in a manhole who literally cleaned the "crap" out of it so the splicers could get in to the guy who planned and implemented multi million dollar projects and directed the work of a hundred people, I always tried to remember that those folks out there were the ones who got the job done and very rarely got any credit for it. I implemented my "random and senseless act of kindness" where at least once a week I would try and find someone who had helped me get around a Catch 22 problem when it would have been easy for them to go "not my job" on me. I would email their superiors and explain how they had gone above and beyond. What amazed me was how many of those managers seemed to get pissed off when I would tell them how well their employees did.   
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
I used to tell my people in the units I commanded that they were going to see a lot of me.  They were going to see a lot of me because I wanted to catch them doing good things.   Once I got into a position where I had the authority to award medals at my level of command, I carried a blue bag with medals in them and when I found a soldier who had done something really noteworthy and outstanding,  I would pin the medal on him and tell his boss he had 24 hours to get the justifying write up into my headquarters.  I really think there needs to be more pats on the back than kicks in the butt. 
I always believed that a leader should set a climate so that people would feel they let the leader down if they did not got the extra mile rather than "leading" by fear.  I know the worst thing my Daddy could have said to me was, "Boy, I'm disappointed in you."  and I tried to instill that same feeling in my soldiers.  I wanted them to have confidence in me and that everything I did was for accomplishing the mission and looking out for their welfare. 
Sorry, 'bout the soap box.
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
All good Sir, agree with everything you are saying.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.