Author Topic: Can you become Smoker Obsessed?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Can you become Smoker Obsessed?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
The Yoder - hands down....

Here is why:

At some recent events I have looked closely at the quality of smokers in production today. Some have really improved. And - some....have not.
When Lang's were built in a small shop, they were impecable. But the quality of the fit and finish has really diminished as the demand for their product has increased. I can only assume this is because they have had to hire more personnel, and not been able to maintain the "hand crafted" quality that they were famous for. ( I even saw awelding rod stub that was boken off, and not ground off - just pained over on one unit. Very disapointing.)

Yoder - on the other hand seems to have continued with the tradition of quality crafting. Their fit and finish is superior. The welds are nice and ground when needed before paining.

While you can get great results with either unit - I like the quality control from Yoder.

Only my opinion, and I certainly respect those that differ.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
The best off-set I personally have cooked on was from Texas Pit Crafters. They come with a adjustable charcoal grate so you can grill in the main chamber and have a full length water pan that sits in the bottom and adds moisture and helps stabilize temps.

check out the PM100, best bang for the buck with a 12 gauge smoking chamber and a square fire-box........if I would ever go back to off-set smoking, this would be on my patio

http://www.texaspitcrafters.com/smokers---pits.html
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
As far as how to get it past the wife? The answer is simple: tell her they had a 2 for 2 sale.  If you bought one for your son they would sell you another at the same price.  That was a bargain that you could not afford to pass up. ::)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
Smoke, that IS a nice lookin' smoker.  If I lived anywhere close to Houston, I would be there tomorrow checkin' it out.  Looks like they built it to withstand a direct nuclear blast.  Plenty of cookin' area too.  and what a price tag...expected way yonder more than that.

I'd cook on that...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
It is a great smoker and the square box design on the smoker chamber gives you much more headroom than the barrel design. The flat fire-box is great for setting your wood on to get toasty. You can either grill in the smoker chamber or toss some grub on the fire-box grate, even when smoking something!! There is also a baffle built in to cut down on the hot spot at the fire-box side of the smoking chamber.........dang...............I shouldn't have sold that one.............. :'( :'(

Oh and the chimney is grate level where it should be. Texas Pit Crafters don't get the hype like Klose and Gator but it is as just good and way more affordable.....and you get a stainless steel shelve and a paper towel holder....................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »
TPC makes nice stuff for sure Smoke! Lots of features - practical features, and nice fit and finish to boot!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
I am waiting for a return phone call from them. I want to find out if they have a heat management or reverse flow system to even the heat through the smoker. Smoke, if you know the answer to this, let us all know.

Thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
There is no reverse flow on this model like the Lang. This is a straight forward off-set that really locks on to temps and holds them...you will really enjoy it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven