Author Topic: Ask a Butcher  (Read 543 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Ask a Butcher
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Mr. Rummy,

I just finished cutting up my first St. Louis ribs. They looked kinda ok but I think a proper explanation would be of help.

Also how do you go to a super market and ask for a 80/20 mix for hamburger.

Many Thanks for the help,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Ask a Butcher
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
Mr. Rummy,

I just finished cutting up my first St. Louis ribs. They looked kinda ok but I think a proper explanation would be of help.

CDN

Most supermarkets (at least around here) have pre-pkg hamburger in 80/20; 90/10; 93/7; 85/15
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »
Mr. Rummy,

CDN

Most supermarkets (at least around here) have pre-pkg hamburger in 80/20; 90/10; 93/7; 85/15
80/20 is 80 percent muscle and 20 percent fat all ground together and so on. All beef with no pork :)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »
Not only is the fat content in ground beef important.  Some of the stuff you get in stores are sort of pieces that are put together out of left overs.  Some is ground chuck.  Some is ground sirloin.  Of course you get what you pay for. 
My question is, if I were grinding my own what type of beef should I get?  Sirloin?  Chuck? of what?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
80/20 is commonly labeled as Ground Chuck, of course the labeling can me very misleading as to what is actually in the package.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »
Ken,  You make a good point as to not knowing what is in a package.  For that reason I don't buy those "family" packages of pork chops because you get some of the least quality chops below the first layer.  Right now Vidalia onions are in the markets in both five-pound bags and individuals.  I find that the bagged onions will not be the same quality of what I can choose when I pick the onions individually.   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers