Author Topic: E-Learning experience  (Read 679 times)

Offline Jaxon

E-Learning experience
« Reply #-1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
"E-Learning" means learning by "error".  I'm learning a lot that way...but I Am still learning.

Last weekend I cooked 2 boston butts - each weighed 7.5 lbs - in the offset.  Usually I'll cut the butts into 2 pieces so I can cook 'em in less time.  This time, I just wanted to see if I COULD smoke 2 full ones at one time.  I found out I can.  Howsomever, by leaving 'em in the smoker for the full 8 to 9 hours, they got too much smoke.  The meat tasted good inside, but the bark was way yonder over-smoked...even mixing it all together didn't help much. 
What I learned:

1.  Smoke 'em too long and they will tasted like smoke, not pork.
2.  After 4 or 5 hours in the smoke, wrap 'em in foil the rest of the way.
3.  I trimmed all the bark off and the meat was like we wanted it - light smoke flavor.

So, if I over-smoke again (probably won't) trim the smoky bark. 

B T W, the one we trimmed is the one we sliced thinly for THAT kind of sandwich.  I am leaning more and more to sliced pork for sammies.  I like the way it stacks and stays on the bun.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

Re: E-Learning experience
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »
I've learned more by the "E" method than any other.  Got a wall full of diplomas from the School of Hard Knocks.  Great faculty there  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:42:59 PM »
I am one of those people who do not like that heavy smoke flavor. Wrapping the meat in foil after the first few hours solves that problem as you mentioned Jack.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
Once I started heating my wood before adding to the fire, the meat was always oversmoked because wood just tossed on the existing coal base just smolders the heated wood bursts into flames and burns clean. I would always start with a big base of Kingsford first to get the pit heated up...........................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Deb & I were both glad we could save the day by cutting off the bark.  The final product was really better than I thought it would be.  Our friends didn't know the difference.
<><

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
I guess with the stick burner you have to foil in order not to over smoke.  I also learned through E-Learning not to over smoke even with the MES.  I think it was muebe who said that meat takes all the smoke it should up to about 160.  I now quit adding smoke  after the IT hits somewhere around 160 or so.  I would guess it also depends on what type of wood and how strongly flavored it is  has an impact also.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
I would always start with a big base of Kingsford first to get the pit heated up...........................

That's how I get mine started...a chimney full of charcoal.

Oh, and I will be more careful about adding wood so that it will ignite faster and burn cleaner as you said. 

That's another thing I thought about - after the cook had gone awhile I thought I was doin' okay by adding several pieces of wood so I wouldn't have to come back to it.  That is exactly what caused such thick smoke.  I MAY try cutting my wood down to size from 16" to 8" for that reason.

I'm enjoying my "school work".
<><

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
My first smoker who will remain nameless because of all the meat I killed. Because of sites like this and folks sharing I have become a cook of reasonable food which my family and friends enjoy.

Can't Thank You All enough. :)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.