Author Topic: 10 Best Rib Places in America  (Read 2389 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 10 Best Rib Places in America
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
This list is B.S. on so many levels (the Texas locations listed aren't even regarded as the best ribs in their areas and that includes Franklin).  The bigger crime is the fact that Corky's is on this list at all.  Any credibility that there was disappeared with that listing.  There are probably 50+ places in Memphis that do ribs better.  It doesn't sound like the author actually went to these places but chose them based on feedback (and having read about them somewhere probably).

Billy it is true that the author never really ate at any of these places.... But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
I think my backyard should be in the top 5 hahahah!

I think any of us can out-do most restaurants, anytime.  I've eaten at Corky's several times and their ribs are very, very average and kind of bland. 

Restaurants are at a great disadvantage with ribs.  When we cook 'em at home or in contests we back time so that they'll be ready to serve at the peak of their doneness.  Ribs do not hold well and will turn mushy just staying at serving temperature for a while.  The restaurant cook has to face serving at relatively unpredictable times and in varying amounts.  Some of the best restaurant ribs I've encountered were lightly smoked and only partially cooked then refrigerated, then grilled just before service.  This nets a more cohesive texture and a more controlled flavor.  The general public, however, won't like them because they don't fall off the bone.  Restaurants also tend to over-sauce them like crazy.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Pappy,

Have you eaten at Rudolph's lately? I haven't in many years, but they used to be pretty well regarded in the city. When I want a quick (cheating) coleslaw sauce, I do like theirs.

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

10 Best Rib Places in America
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
Pappy,

Have you eaten at Rudolph's lately? I haven't in many years, but they used to be pretty well regarded in the city. When I want a quick (cheating) coleslaw sauce, I do like theirs.

D

Been a long time......really long. And I do like their cole slaw sauce too......I like cheating ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
 ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
On a BBQ Crawl with a bunch of Pelletheads, a while back, in search of the famous Texas brisket, around the Lockhart area, one of the places, Kruez's Market, had pork ribs on the blackboard menu. With brisket and sausage juice all over our shirts from previous sampling spots, we ordered the pork ribs with the rest of our smorgasbord to test and rate. With the taste of simple salt and pepper and the perfect pull and char (no sweet goo on these babies!), some of the best ribs I've ever tasted, went down into my all ready filled gullet! I don't know about any of those Top Ten joints mentioned, but Kruez's were better than any rib I ever cooked! Just my 2 cents!  ;)

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker