Author Topic: Take a moment to remember...June 6, 1944  (Read 709 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Take a moment to remember...June 6, 1944
« Reply #-1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
This was D-Day, the invasion of Normandy.  The bravery of those that hit those beaches and scaled those cliffs under tremendously deadly fire  was something we can not imagine today. I've been fortunate to have served with someone from that invasion and his telling of those battles were scary as well as uplifting.  We won because we allies kept coming, and coming, and coming.
I've heard that the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" are some of the most realistic in capturing what it was really like.
It won't be long before all those warriors have loudly responded,  "HERE!" at  their last roll call.
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Take a moment to remember...June 6, 1944
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
Salute!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Amen Dee. I can think of no braver moment or greater courage.

SPR is one of the best movies ever made
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
My hat is off and my and my hand is over my heart.

My father served in the Pacific during WWII in the submarine service. All he ever said was that when the depth charges went off, they would make a big bang.

In 1982, coming back from a mission, we stopped and landed on the Island of Iwo Jima and spent the night. We had a chance to get out and walk about. The rusted remains of a battle long silent showed that the island still had the scars created in 1945. Interesting how the island had become tunneled from end to end.

I only had one opportunity to visit the Normandy shore once. It still boggles my mind how these men did what they did and accomplished so much. There really is not much to say as I stood there in silent awe.

The French in that area are very thankful and appreciative of the Americans. Those in Paris cannot care less. When in a discussion with British, French and German military as the Marine Corps liason on intelligence sharing, the French general poo pooed the American contribution to the winning of WWII on the Western Front. I could not help myself and said: how did the French help? by surrendering? You'd be speaking German now if we did not take those beaches. The commanding officer, some Army general at the meeting asked me to leave as he felt I insulted the Germans because they lost the war. I told him I would be glad to leave as I did not want to break bread with a bunch of assholes. I was an "untouchable" and my commanding officer, an admiral, told me "good job"! And said he would have walked out as well. 

Here are some pictures that I took.

Omaha Beach

American Cemetery with all the men who gave their lives for France's unappreciated freedom

I think it was Dean Rusk under LBJ who said to De Gaulle when De Gaulle told Rusk to have all American soldiers to leave France: "all of them, Mr. President, including those buried at Normandy?" Obviously, De Gaulle, who envisioned himself the new Napoleon, could not bring himself to add that as well. By the way, De Gaulle was an obstructionist in the war's effort and primadonna. Bottom line on DeGaulle, he was as worthless as tits on a bull.

Here is another picture but I cannot remember if this Point du Hoc or another part of Omaha.

With kind regards, and I agree that this was the greatest generation ever. My Dad always was my hero.

Ed
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:14:05 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
Great story Ed
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
Ed, I think it's a requirement that a certain percentage of flag officers become gildinged when they put on that star.  I think the percentage requirement has increased in the past decade or so until it's nearly 100%.   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
Last year my wife and I went to Normandy as part of a river cruise from Paris.  As a veteran I was asked to participate with several other veterans in our tour group in a ceremony honoring those who died in Normandy.  When Taps was played, there wasn't a dry eye in the group.  I felt very honored to have participated.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »
I had an uncle in the Army who landed in Normandy on D Day and fought on the ground all the way to Berlin. It was a miracle that he was never seriously injured.  He had a German Luger with the big holster and belt and German officers hat that he brought back from the war and would talk to me mostly about nearly freezing and starving to death while he would be cleaning it.

My Dad fought in the South Pacific on the battleship USS Nevada and was a gunners mate who dialed in the targets on those big 14 inch guns.  One of the gentlemen in the first assisted living facility he was in was a Marine on the ground at Iwo Jima who radioed coordinates that Dad would use to aim the big guns.

Dad turned 94 on Monday June 3rd and I took cake and ice cream out to the VA nursing home for all those old WW-II vets in the wing he is living in.  These men and some women are in various stages of dementia and disability but there just seems to be an aura or something about them that makes them seem special and makes you want to hear their stories.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »
I had an uncle in the Army who landed in Normandy on D Day and fought on the ground all the way to Berlin. It was a miracle that he was never seriously injured.  He had a German Luger with the big holster and belt and German officers hat that he brought back from the war and would talk to me mostly about nearly freezing and starving to death while he would be cleaning it.

My Dad fought in the South Pacific on the battleship USS Nevada and was a gunners mate who dialed in the targets on those big 14 inch guns.  One of the gentlemen in the first assisted living facility he was in was a Marine on the ground at Iwo Jima who radioed coordinates that Dad would use to aim the big guns.

Dad turned 94 on Monday June 3rd and I took cake and ice cream out to the VA nursing home for all those old WW-II vets in the wing he is living in.  These men and some women are in various stages of dementia and disability but there just seems to be an aura or something about them that makes them seem special and makes you want to hear their stories.

Indeed TP. They are very special. All humanity owes them a debt of gratitude.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »
Thank you Dee, for the reminder. Thank you, Ed and Ken for your stories. Even with the very best films, it is impossible for me to imagine what these soldiers experienced. And they persevered. I am grateful for this and always have a catch in my throat when the National Anthem is played.

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
I showed some old footage tonight to my 8 year old son from D Day. Nothing remotely graphic. But I wanted him to know that freedom is never free. I want him to carry on my patriotic legacy, as I am well known for my love of country and liberty.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:13 AM »
Thank you for posting this Dee.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
I showed some old footage tonight to my 8 year old son from D Day. Nothing remotely graphic. But I wanted him to know that freedom is never free. I want him to carry on my patriotic legacy, as I am well known for my love of country and liberty.

Well done Pappy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »

Good on you, Pappy! That's how it has to work.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #