Author Topic: Wink at the Moon  (Read 899 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Wink at the Moon
« Reply #-1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:39:53 AM »
This was the last paragraph of the press release from Neil Armstrong’s family after his death in 2012.

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Neil was my most admired hero. I remember staying up all night glued to the TV when he made the famous step on the moon July 20 1969. Seven days later our first child, a daughter was born so that is an easy date for me to remember.

Neil chose not to cash in on his fame for monetary gain; he chose to stay out of the lime light and live the rest of his life as a scholar and teacher in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I watched the few interviews he gave. To me he seemed a modest and gentle person, very likable.

As a pilot, test pilot and astronaut he must have had nerves of steel and a methodic calmness in performing his job. He was admired by his fellow astronauts for staying with the lunar landing module while testing on earth. When it went out of control he stayed with it trying to regain control and ejecting only at the last second before it crashed.

When he and Buzz Aldrin made the moon landing they only had 20 seconds of fuel left before they were to abort the mission and return to the orbiter. Neil and Buzz had already decided to land whether they had enough fuel left or not to return home.

For father’s day my wife got me a cement casting of the moon, man in the moon smiling with a wink; an astronaut, Neil, stepping on the moon with the USA flag and a sign pointing back to Wapakoneta, Ohio, his birth place. I hung it up as a memorial to my hero Neil Armstrong.

Next time you look at the moon give a Wink!

Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Wink at the Moon
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:09 AM »
Very cool story and plaque Don, I was 4 when they went to the moon :)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
I remember where I was and what I was doing when they walked on the moon.  I had Shore Patrol duty in an enlisted club at Port Canaveral.  Alcohol was involved, just not by me.  The entire place went deathly quiet when they showed the walk.  Then it erupted into cheers!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
I was 9 and stuck to the tv.  Now I am 53 and still stuck to the tv  ;D

That is a cool plaque Don. I was watching a Bewitched re-run the other night and Darrin and Samantha was arguing if there was an old man in the moon or if it was a lady............ :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
This Saturday, June 22, there will be the largest Super Moon when the moon will be closest to the Earth and will appear unusually large. That will be as close as any of us will come to seeing what Neil Armstrong saw.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
I was on casual status in the USAF waiting for my next leave to start before transferring to another base.  I went to the base that morning and cleared the squadron ready room then went straight home and stayed glued to the tube.  Funny, isn't it how we remember where we were when great events (both good and bad) occur.  Our brains will "cement" that moment for us.  I can't remember where I put my keys, though  ::)
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Great story, Don, and a very thoughtful gift from a lady who must think you "hung the moon".
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
Thanks for the story SD
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.