Author Topic: A cake ?? Seriously a cake??  (Read 1395 times)

Offline IBCookin

A cake ?? Seriously a cake??
« Reply #-1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »
Okay, watched a show called "The Shed" about a BBQ place (that most of you may be familiar with). They catered a wedding and were asked to do the wedding cake. Only problem is that The Shed doesn't have an oven. So they made it in a smoker. People at the wedding said it was really good.

Now back to today, the Supreme Commander has decided that I should do a cake ..... on the GMG DB.
Of course I told her ... no problem.     HELP!
She did mention that she would prefer a pineapple upside-down cake.  Really...HELP!

Any suggestions for doing a cake, I'd settle for any cake.....
Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker

Offline UWFSAE

Re: A cake ?? Seriously a cake??
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw a smoked or grilled pineapple upside down cake on a Bobby Flay Food Network show (either Boy Meets Grill or Barbecuing with Bobby) years ago.  You might want to search their recipe database ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:57:50 AM »
I saw that episode of the Shed. I guess it makes sense - if you can hold your smoker at the right temp, it should work. Just cover the cake to prevent a "smoked" flavor... I haven't tried it, so have no advice other than what we saw on the show. Good luck and post pics!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:20 AM »
So what kind of wood chips will you use when smoking that Pineapple Upside Down Cake?  ??? :P
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:51 AM »
Here's that Flay recipe (I think) I was talking about.  I think preheating an iron skillet in the oven before building the cake would work quite well before you transfer to the smoker.  Since the prep requires a covered application this might do the trick.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/prize-winning-pineapple-upside-down-cake-on-the-bbq-recipe/index.html

Also, if you've ever watched one of those "cowboy cookoff" shows ... how about using a preheated cast iron dutch oven?  Smoke penetration wouldn't be an issue and I imagine you'd get moist cake due to it being a reasonably sealed environment.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
Not doubting it was good (OK, yes I am), but I don't suppose they would have had folks saying they didn't like it on the TV show.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »
Lots of cakes and other baked goods are done on pellet cookers since the cook chamber is similar to and often is just as well temperature regulated as an indoor oven.  A good stick burner, adjusted properly to minimize smoldering could do it, too.  As long as you use milder wood (apple, oak) you shouldn't get much smokiness or if you do a little in a pineapple upside down cake wouldn't be objectionable.  Let 'er rip ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »
A cake on your pellet pooper should not be a problem.  Most cakes are cooked at 350.  Anything above 300 should produce no noticeable smoke flavor.  My MAK will hold a more consistent 350 than my wall oven.

Deb cooked her famous bourbon pecan cheesecake on her Traeger (and later her MAK, I believe) several years ago.  No smoke flavor at all.  It was off the charts good!! I just cleaned my MAK really good and plan to cook the same cheesecake on it for the Fall Gathering.  I have been using my oven to perfect my technique in the mean time.

Good luck and report back with your success.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
Higher temps = more efficient combustion= little to no smoke.

Lower temps = less efficient combustion = more smoke.

So - like ACW2 said above and Hub as well...keep those temps up, ( 300F+) and use a wood that is light in flavor anyway. Fruit woods are great.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
If you can cook/bake an ice cream cake in the SRG or TBE..you can do it in the pellet pooper. It is just a big oven with smoke. You can add an amaznsmoke thingi for smoke. I have a 6" one that fits in everything. I would use a lighter wood, like a fruit wood or mild pecan wood. At 350º temp, I wouldn't preheat the cast iron too hot, but preheat if you want. Then cook as usual. I do a lot of outside cooking, so hope this helps some. The timing is the same, if a toothpick comes out clean. It's done. Good Luck.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Oh..and pineapple upside down is real GOOD..but try peaches instead.  OMG. just sayin.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
IBC it should turn out good, I use my Traeger for an oven a lot. At 350 I never note any smoke taste. Anything you can do inside you can do on a pellet smoker. I have done a lot of Casserole type dishes, cornbread and a few versions of peach cobbler. Don
Check my blog for 9 different desserts
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/search/label/Dessert
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:27:51 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
Back when I had an upright propane smoker I used it as an oven quite a bit, especially on holidays when the wife would need more oven space. Just turned on the smoker without any wood and it worked great.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware