Author Topic: Gonna start making Pizza!  (Read 3484 times)

Offline pz

Re: Gonna start making Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
We'll, from your post, it sounds like you must be in significant discomfort. Sorry to hear that. You doing a replacement?

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
Unfortunately, there are a pile of guys in front of me at the VA. All former service men who didn't know they were hurting themselves 50 years ago. I spent 23 years in the Corps and I did a lot of things that required me to beat the heck out of my body. Never bothered me until I passed 65 and then everything deteriorated from arthritis and no cartilage. I am going to become the bionic man with the replacements that I have to do.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:15:32 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Eatin Smoke

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »
If I could make a suggestion Ed.........Skip the Lodge cast iron and order a Baking Steel.  Well worth the extra $$ and you won't be disappointed!  I spoke w/ Andris from baking steel and had him custom cut a round one for me.  It can bake pizzas at a slightly lower temp (500-550) and the crust comes out perfect due to the radiating properties of the steel.  Check out his website and read the reviews.  I will never use a stone again when making pizzas on the grill.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »
I just found his website. Very interesting. I have got to follow up on this.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 12:08:07 AM »
Sorry to hear it, Ed.  It is amazing what we do as youngsters to our joints never considering the long term consequences.  I wish I could go back 40 years and do it all over - when I think about it, I'd hardly expect a car with moving parts to work for 80 years without parts replacement, and our bodies are no different.

Sounds like you're exhibiting the extreme effects of osteoarthritis, which is referred to as "wear-and-tear" arthritis, in which the articular cartilages imply wear out exposing raw bone surfaces that with time can eventually form bony spurs.  This is a form of arthritis that each and every one of us will experience if we live long enough.

Sorry to hear that you have so much surgery to look forward to, but on the upbeat side, my mother went through hip replacement and was absolutely amazed at what she could do post surgery.  She never regretted it for a moment.

Well, we did the pizzas and they turned out even better than we hoped.  We're cooking the pizzas directly on the grill grate, and not covering them (we don't have a cover on this grill).  Although we have found that cooking on a stone in the grill is acceptable, it is really no better than cooking it in the oven or any other heat source for that matter (when using a stone).  There is something about the direct flame licking the crust through the grill slits that makes it extra special.

My wife does all of the crust - she starts out with a basic bread recipe and rolls out the ovals - then painting one side with olive oil, she inverts it onto the grill.  It is allowed to cook for a while, then a brushing of olive oil on the exposed side.

Once the crust is done on the first side, it is flipped and toppings are immediately added - because this side is already hot, the cheese starts melting straight away.

The pizzas today were very simple:
  • home smoked (pecan) cheddar, Gouda, and pepper jack
  • home grown heirloom tomatoes - they are naturally orange
  • black olives, Kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes

Here's our masterpiece for today - the crust was thin with a slightly chewy center encased in a cracker crisp smoky crust.  The pecan smoke in the cheese blend wafted into the nose and added to the moment as I enjoyed the crisp crunch of the bite - the tomato juice savory, salty, sweet, and spicy ran over the palate further stimulating the taste buds.

We also did one with our regular tomatoes - also home grown, but not nearly as good.

The bottom line: I never would have imagined that I would ever enjoy a pizza that did not have some kind of meat on it, but I was certainly wrong.  These were among the most delicious pizzas I have ever eaten.   Likely, at least in part, it is due to the cheeses that we'd smoked a couple of weeks ago, and the vine ripened, home grown tomatoes.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
Excellent!!

My wife and I would really enjoy those.

Ed

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »
I think PZ has some great looking pizza there!!! I haven't done a lot of pizzas, I usually get mine from Sandman!!! Just my 2 cents worth is if you have grill grates try the flat side. If I can find time I might give it a try. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
Ed,
Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery but hope it turns out well. I know what you mean about the Corps doing things to your body that you will pay for years later.

My mother went through two knee replacements and after she healed she went from a wheelchair to walking on her own. Amazing things they can do today.

As for the pizza’s, we have done many on a stone on the RED and they turn out great. When this stone cracks I will probably go for the cast iron one,  but that Baking Steel looks interesting except for the $$$. A lot of the guys have posted many pizza cooks on it. I think CaptJack has one.

Love to cook and eat

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
Wow, you guys make pizza the way I like it, stuffed with lots of good eats on it. If you are going to put tomatoes, then put a lot of tomatoes; and if you put on onions, mushrooms, peppers and cheese, put a lot on.

Mama Mia: at'sa Pizza!!!!!!

Ed

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
What a great looking pizza!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #