Author Topic: Pork and Shrimp Sausage  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Tenpoint5

Pork and Shrimp Sausage
« Reply #-1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
Pork and Shrimp Sausage Revisited

Revisited you ask??
Yep tried something new here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24613.0  Now I am trying it again and tweeking it!

My Physical Terrorist took a trip to the South Padre Islands and up along the Gulf coast. She brought me back a 5 pound bag of Shrimp for $20. Figured I needed to revisit the Pork and Shrimp recipe and revamp it some to try and get something better or at least different. Here is my musings and documentation of the whole process.

First the Shrimp

I broke down and packaged up the big bag of shrimp and saved 1.78 pounds of shrimp.  Found me a bag of Zatarains Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil

The directions called for 4 TBS of salt and Half of a Lemon. Might be too much salt in the final product, cut that back to 2 TBS. Didn't have a fresh Lemon so 1 TBS of Lemon juice added to the water. Brought that to a rolling boil.

Everybody in the Jacuzzi!!

After about 1.5-2 minutes Everybody out!!

Ran the shrimp under some cold water to cool them off and stop the cooking. Tasted one and it tasted like regular water so a quick dip back in the Jacuzzi for some flavor. Once they cooled off some more. Ripped all of the swimming suits off.

Reserved about 10 oz of the Bath water.

Chopped/Sliced up all the shrimps

That aint gonna be enough!! >:( HHHmm Momma just opened a bag for her salad and she didn't use much at all. It's mine!!! :D

OK Now that the Shrimps is in the fridge, with 2 oz of juice on them for moisture and flavor, chilling out. It is time to mix up the flavors for this party. Started this whole thing off like this:

3 2 Tbs Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2 1 1/2 Tbs Granulated Garlic
4 Tbs Minced Onion
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Basil
2 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbs + 1 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper

Mixed that all into the meat

Mixed 1 teaspoon of cure #1 into the remaining 8 oz of Bath water

Mixed in the Cure and the Shrimp

Fried up a small patty for a taste

Didn't quite have the taste and flavor that I wanted so I went back and altered the original mix. (Changes are in red above) Fried up another little patty tasted much better. Put everything in the fridge to rest overnight.

This morning I fried up a little patty after mixing everything up again. Really like the way the flavors melded together. Had to dump a bunch of juice off the patty so they should be really juicy in a casing.

Loaded up the stuffer and cranked out and tied off some links. Used 32mm Collagen casings since I didn't have any Natural hog on hand this morning. I tied the casing off into about 6 inch links. Tying is easier than twisting FOR ME when working with collagen.

Went out and fired up the 6 rack DBS and set it to 120º loaded in the sausage for an hour to dry. Then bumped up the temp to 140º applied 2 hours of Hickory smoke.

Smoke just finished so I bumped the temp up to 150º for a little while. then will bump to 160º. Here's what they look like after the smoke was applied.

Just checked and they is running along at 125º IT, looking for 142º. They is taking on some real nice mahogany color

Time to finish this up.

Once the Sausages reached 143º IT I brought them into the house. Looking like a over sized dried Snack Stick.

Two thoughts here. We can't have dried up crispy sausages and The sausages haven't reached 152º to be fully cooked.
Time for another swimming pool!! I had the electric roaster cruising along at 165º. When everyone jumped in for a 15 minute swim and the IT reached 153-156º. I was trying out the new Bud Light Platinum missed a temp check :o ;D

Got everybody out of the heated swimming pool and into a nice cold ice bath!!

Hung up to dry and bloom

All packaged up and ready for a future date on the grill

I forgot to send one of the pictures off my phone to photobucket. So before I get all beat up here is the MONEY SHOT!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Pork and Shrimp Sausage
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
10.05..so how does it taste when it's done...looks fabulous.  I would eat that for sure.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
Great minds must run in the same gutter.  I was just planning on making some pork and shrimp balls,
Chinese style.  We'll see how mine turn out.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
Hi Chris! Good to hear from you - I know you have been having a rough time with the shoulder and hope you are doing better. This recipe looks great!

T

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
If I remember right this is close to the recipe I made at the GA cookout. I know CB tried them and I think Tee did as well Big Hit also!   

Here is Dee patting them out, while Tee is making sure all works to plan! ;) Or he's to full to move :P

Here they are on Dee's SRG

All done and ready to try!

Yep here is old guy trying them  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:58:23 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
I tried them and they were very good. Look how mad Tee looks in that pic sittin there all by hiumself..I think he was in his own world. Might have been full..we were all starved to death there.  There is a pic of my white towel with the red stripes next to Dee..yeah..I'm famous..LOL.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:57:44 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
Yep - I was hiding in the dining room and eating all I could get my hands on...that was why I had the constipated concerned look on my face.

Of course, after that 2 day meat fest - I did drink a few Metamucil milkshakes.... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401