Author Topic: The Road to Recovery  (Read 954 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
The Road to Recovery
« Reply #-1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
I can't cook a thing and live vicariously through your posts of the wonderful creations that you are making, but I am trying to do my part to get myself back to the person who use to love to hike through the woods and fly fish for trout.

It is a long slow process and the last few days have tried my soul and passion for life. The after effects of surgery can be devastating to progress. However, I think I may have all this behind me. Today, I feel the best that I have in a long time. I took a walk on the side walk in front of my house which was the longest so far and actually got to the patio where the smokes are located.

The real hero of all of this is my wife, Caye. She has been so supportive both physically, and providing the positive encouragement to keep my spirits in the right place. I knew that I picked a winner. You cannot believe how helpless that you can be after something like this. It just drains your strength.

Here's a picture. I am out on the patio wearing my skivies and my compression stockings overlaced with air compressed wraps that provide a physical air massage to my lower legs. This is designed to prevent blood clots in the calves of my legs. The swelling has significantly decreased and the bruising which runs from my waste to my left knee is now turning yellow and green. A good thing. I am very lucky as there was no post operative bleeding, and infection. I have no bandage covering the wound.

Food does taste different. Even good beer tastes funny. I hope that goes away. The docs recommend my upping my vitamin intake and so I take vitamin D, C, fish oil three times a day to promote healing.

Hope that you guys never have to do this.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: The Road to Recovery
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Ed, keep up the good work and your commitment to getting better. It's great you are up and walking around - even better you can visit your smokers!

Although I didn't have surgery, I was in for about 5 days with heart issues. I still find some days are more difficult than others (especially when I think I can jump back into things.) That leads to knocking me down.

So, follow your docs instructions and just take it a day at a time. Maybe we can go stalk some trout together one day. All the best!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
Glad your up and about Ed, Looks like your really doing well and it's Awesome Caye is taking good care of you. Hope you progress daily!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
We are all behind you Ed, and you will be cooking up a storm in no time  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »
Certainly a different experience, but after I had my stroke last March I found that every day as I felt a little bit better it made me push that much harder to feel even better the next day.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
Ed- It is good to see that you are out and about my friend. Prayers that strength continues to return and that you can soon be back in the smoke! We just never know how strong someone is nor how important they are to us, until we are pushed to our limits; we look back and they are their pushing back those limits. Great Job Caye!!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
Thanks for the pic, ED...reall assuring to see you in an upright position - a REAL stand-up kinda guy.

Keep up the recovery regimen.  We wanna see you back at grillside on the videos again soon.

Kiss Caye for us.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Glad you're up and around and have a wonderful caregiver to help you  ;D.  Don't be too hard on yourself -- it takes a while to regroup and recoup from serious surgery.  Looks to me like you've got a great attitude.

Godspeed,

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
Glad to see you moving but take it easy my friend. It takes time
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
Ed, sorry I'm just now sending this but really have not felt good enough to get on line in a few days  :(

Looks like your doing good and just wanted you to know we have been keeping you in our thoughts.

I had enough surgeries for both of us + more.. LOL .    Do what they tell you and keep in mind we are all behind you and pray for a full recovery
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
get well soon buddy.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »
One day at a time, Ed.  One hour at a time if need be to get you through this.  Each day will get better. 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »
Good to see you are standing upright. Keep up the great recovery.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:38 AM »
You're a strong man Ed with an incredible positive mental attitude. You'll be landing a nymph on the water again in no time, keep up the good work.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
Keep the good work Ed and get well .