Author Topic: New Site Name  (Read 6078 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: New Site Name
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
One more thing I noticed is input. If you look at the member posts we need to find away for more folks to get involved.

We have over 500+ members but a lot of members are not getting involved. Maybe this new direction will help these folks to feel comfortable in posting some of their cooks. ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
In my book,  BBQ  is  outdoor cooking, everything else is second fiddle.

Digging my heels in the sand on this one Tee  ;) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
One more thing I noticed is input. If you look at the member posts we need to find away for more folks to get involved.

We have over 500+ members but a lot of members are not getting involved. Maybe this new direction will help these folks to feel comfortable in posting some of their cooks. ;D

YOU are 100% correct! And - it will add another dimension of fun that anyone can participate in! Why not try it?

?[/color][/b]

Well - if I think only about how I see the world of BBQ and Outdoor Cooking - I agree with you. And many here will feel the same way. But, like they use dot say int he movies "this is bigger than the both of us". Likewise,  Outdoor Cooking is bigger than just BBQ. Outdoor Cooking includes BBQ but, can be other things too.

In other words - we are expanding what we call BBQ, without confusing folks less familiar with the broad and general way we think about BBQ. Heck - for most of us, anything cooked outdoors *IS* BBQ. That is not the watt he world sees it, nor is it  the way you could look up a definition for BBQ - but, it has just been our colloquial vernacular.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »

I kinda agree with Smoke, I like the site the way it is. The new site sounds interesting for those that like to do video and like watching them. I personally don't care for videos, I suppose it's an age thing, I just don't have the patience to watch more than 4 minutes of video, I like the still photos. Just my 2 cents worth but I vote for keeping it LetstalkBBQ. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

New Site Name
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
I hate change.

I'll go with whatever Muebe says, that young man is pretty sharp. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
Yeah, BBQ Brethren never changed to Outdoor Cooking Brethren........ :D

I am done here. You all know how I feel. I can Que and fry cook but I am not a "Cook" or a "Baker" or a "Candlestick Maker"  :D

I know what Tee is aiming at and whatever his vision is for the forum I will support it 100 %

If y'all need me I will be in the BBQ section  ;)  That is where I am comfortable at  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
I hate change.

??? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
To be honest, I think that the "and more" should be "...and more" in a smaller font (including the ...).  I get trying to make it not 100% BBQ driven, but I think that is more how we have evolved as a group and not necessarily anything that is needed to encourage others to join.  As much as it pains me, people associate all outdoor cooking (grilling especially) with the term BBQ already.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
To be honest, I think that the "and more" should be "...and more" in a smaller font (including the ...).  I get trying to make it not 100% BBQ driven, but I think that is more how we have evolved as a group and not necessarily anything that is needed to encourage others to join.  As much as it pains me, people associate all outdoor cooking (grilling especially) with the term BBQ already.
  So my preference would be LET'S TALK BBQ ...and more.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
Tim I will admit that I'm usually reluctant to change, but in saying that, life is all about change. I do trust you on this and more, as long as I have a comfy seat in the site you can call it what you wish.....just don't call me late for dinner!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Ok here is my two cents...

Over the past couple years my cooking has morphed from just standard BBQ fair to Sous Vide, wood fired pizzas, and creating non traditional BBQ recipes using BBQ equipment and techniques.

I can directly contribute these ideas and changes to this site.

We have such a variety of members on here with great cooking skills and recipes. A lot of real people who can relate to the average person with no culinary experience.

This site has been growing and changing. IMHO it offers more than any other BBQ or cooking site out there because it is elastic and dynamic. It's members have controlled the direction by what they contribute.

But it is still a BBQ cooking site at its core.

Let's Talk BBQ Cooking.... outdoors and more!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Ok here is my two cents...

Over the past couple years my cooking has morphed from just standard BBQ fair to Sous Vide, wood fired pizzas, and creating non traditional BBQ recipes using BBQ equipment and techniques.

I can directly contribute these ideas and changes to this site.

We have such a variety of members on here with great cooking skills and recipes. A lot of real people who can relate to the average person with no culinary experience.

This site has been growing and changing. IMHO it offers more than any other BBQ or cooking site out there because it is elastic and dynamic. It's members have controlled the direction by what they contribute.

But it is still a BBQ cooking site at its core.

Let's Talk BBQ Cooking.... outdoors and more!

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »

I kinda agree with Smoke, I like the site the way it is. The new site sounds interesting for those that like to do video and like watching them. I personally don't care for videos, I suppose it's an age thing, I just don't have the patience to watch more than 4 minutes of video, I like the still photos. Just my 2 cents worth but I vote for keeping it LetstalkBBQ. Smokin Don

You will be happy to know that the videos  are targeted at 2 minutes.. And those will be hosted on Outdoor Cooking Digest. It will not change your habits here - unless you want to Don. Promise.

I hate change.

To hate change is a natural response. I get that…but this will not really change the site….just the name at the top of it! Our content may expand in definition, but not much - we already have grown the forum sections to the point that , there is not much that we don't already have a thread section for. ;)

If y'all need me I will be in the BBQ section  ;)  That is where I am comfortable at  8)

I think of it all as BBQ, but - again…that does not include the way people look for recipes, ideas…and experienced folks - like YOU to help them….And, we can always figure out a way to create a "road sign", like "Click here for BBQ Talk. Click here for all other Outdoor Cooking - but that seems a little un-friendly don't you think? And….I KNOW that is not who we are.
Remember - same rules, same management….just more folks to participate, and more options of things to read, or view. 2 sites, intertwined by referring folks back and forth - but 2 stand alone sites nonetheless. Just like LTBBQ, only more of it - bigger and better ;)

So my preference would be LET'S TALK BBQ ...and more.

Noted…but try to remember that you and I see this site thru the eyes of familiarity. Like a pair of comfortable old shoes ( to steal from Smoke... ;D) That is fine, but it is limiting to our growth. We need not lose the friendly, neighborly atmosphere here. BUt we can make it bigger and add to the content. That will work best if folks looking for specific content can tell that we cover more of "the bases" by not being BBQ-centric. We really are not anyway if you look at all of the posts of recipes tha cover the gamut of all things edible…even VEGETABLES!!!  :D

So, I ask that everyone please keep an open mind. Ask questions. Make suggestions. But try to understand that this all make the site better and create more information for more people.It will always remain "BBQ at it's core - because that is who WE are….but we are trying ways to make the site more appealing to more people. Who knows what skillets they can add - that you will appreciate once given the chance?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
I say in the spirit of LTBBQ, Tee ya post a poll with the name you want and the name we have now and let us decide.......of course this is your playground and if the name change is what you see fit then I will support it 110%  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
Well…if it was just me - and my likes, heck - I would leave it alone. That is what I have been trying to convey. That in order to make the 2 sites easier to find via SEO ( search engine optimization I have been told that making the names more similar would help. Folks that find one site will be referred to the other one depending on what features they are looking for.  We already have a great collection of info and users here - so, it just makes sense to associate them closely. And, it does not change this SITE - only thing affected would be a name tweak. So, I really have to leave the final naming up to the people involved in the setting up and optimization of the site. But, it will not be anything un-like what we have talked about already.
The concept of what we are talking about has some big impact potential, in ways that I can't go into here. It is the next natural progression in inter-active forums and user driven information sites.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401