Author Topic: New Site Name  (Read 6080 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: New Site Name
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
I say in the spirit of LTBBQ, Tee ya post a poll with the name you want and the name we have now and let us decide.......of course this is your playground and if the name change is what you see fit then I will support it 110%  :)

I go along with this as long as tee quits using words like "colloquial vernacular" that I have to use a dictionary to see what it means!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

New Site Name
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
I say in the spirit of LTBBQ, Tee ya post a poll with the name you want and the name we have now and let us decide.......of course this is your playground and if the name change is what you see fit then I will support it 110%  :)

I go along with this as long as tee quits using words like "colloquial vernacular" that I have to use a dictionary to see what it means!  ;)

Tee spends a lot of time with his word of the day toilet paper ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
Well…it was a buffet lunch…so it took a lot of squares….. :o ??? ::) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
Right!!  His use of 3 syllable words just plain confuse me....though impressive to folks with some schooling..... :D :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline BAM1

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
I must be an opposite because I've always thought of this site as much more than BBQ.  To me it's grilling, and smoking, and frying, and processing/preperation.  It's pellets, and chips, and charcoal, and wood, and propane.  Ands that is way more than BBQ.  It's one big cooking explosion
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
This sounds like an interesting addition to our little world. I am OK with any name change, no name change, heck even no name at all...as long as when I click on that little favorites star, the bbq file and this site pulls up!!!! Tee, you have spent the time and money building what in my opinion the best bbq out there. It is the one I come to every chance I get and hope to have more time to contribute more. As the old saying says "It's your baby and you can raise any way you want". I do appreciate your time and efforts!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
I must be an opposite because I've always thought of this site as much more than BBQ.  To me it's grilling, and smoking, and frying, and processing/preperation.  It's pellets, and chips, and charcoal, and wood, and propane.  Ands that is way more than BBQ.  It's one big cooking explosion

An observant fellow eh Bryan? :D

An - THAT is all we want to convey tot eh passers-by on the internet. That WE ARE much more than BBQ. Not taking anything away from our first love - and where many of us spend more of our time here…BBQ.
But, like muebe  pointed out earlier, and as you observed - we all will use out Outdoor Cooking gear - for much more than BBQ. Essentially a common belief exists on LTBBQ:

Anything you can cook indoors..you can cook BETTER outdoors!  Now - that does not make it BBQ, but it certainly includes BBQ ( in a starring role for most of us ;))

This sounds like an interesting addition to our little world. I am OK with any name change, no name change, heck even no name at all...as long as when I click on that little favorites star, the bbq file and this site pulls up!!!! Tee, you have spent the time and money building what in my opinion the best bbq out there. It is the one I come to every chance I get and hope to have more time to contribute more. As the old saying says "It's your baby and you can raise any way you want". I do appreciate your time and efforts!!!

Dan

You are a gentlemen among men. But - this is not really my decision. It is consortium of people that we hired to advise and put all of this into play. I think the part that has received the least amount of response ( and I can't say that I am not a little discouraged about this…) is that this is designed to enhance your experience in using this site by increasing access - via the Outdoor Cooking Digest site - to more data, recipes, videos. AND….we want YOU to do the videos. YOu will have plenty of support and assistance including equipment that we will furnish. We are not looking for "studio productions". We are looking for REAL people - that REALLY cook. Like YOU ALL.
[/color]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:32:26 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
I really look forward to the changes but like what has been done so far.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Thanks Aaron. I would not consider it if I did not truly believe that we can take something really good - and make it great. We will not do anything to disrupt the site or change the way you use it. Just add to the capabilities of the site.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
Heck it's just a name!
If this works some of you will make videos & be world famous!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
Another site that I visit on a daily basis has a video board as well. There, members can post and upload their videos without any restrictions on length so that members can search and refer to those that are of interest.

One of the things that this site builds is a camaraderie among its members where a certain amount of familiarity is developed along with trust and confidence in those that participate. If that is going to disappear as this site evolves no matter what you call it, the site will not be worth visiting any more. Right now, at least, I feel that this site has developed a special rapport among its members that does not exist on other places on the internet. If it loses that special relationship with whatever changes you envision, it will not be worth visiting anymore. And, you will have a different type of viewer such as on the smokingmeatforums.com.

So be it.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

New Site Name
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
Another site that I visit on a daily basis has a video board as well. There, members can post and upload their videos without any restrictions on length so that members can search and refer to those that are of interest.

One of the things that this site builds is a camaraderie among its members where a certain amount of familiarity is developed along with trust and confidence in those that participate. If that is going to disappear as this site evolves no matter what you call it, the site will not be worth visiting any more. Right now, at least, I feel that this site has developed a special rapport among its members that does not exist on other places on the internet. If it loses that special relationship with whatever changes you envision, it will not be worth visiting anymore. And, you will have a different type of viewer such as on the smokingmeatforums.com.

So be it.

Ed

Well said VOD.  This place is special, and it worry that  it never takes much to get us on the wrong path.....This is more like family. Growth for growths sake is not always a great thing
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
I suppose the only logical response to to your concerns Ed, and Pappy are…to ask: What do you attribute the worries about any shift in the closeness we have? I have explained the agenda - or I thought I have. Have I been un-clear, and ned to re-state the why and how of this project? It is the membership itself that stands to see improvement in access to more content - and fun making that content. Ed, I know that you enjoy doing such. This would be an opportunity for you to post more of your videos and recipes.
This has been in the works for some time, but I wanted  to confirm that we have enough of the the right kinds of folks to make it work, and maintain the community as is. If there are genuine concerns, I would like to hear them. I do care about our "family" here - and see no reason that you should have these concerns.
If I am overlooking something, please tell me.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
to be honest w/ ya it really doesn't matter what the name is.  we will still be here chatting w/ each other just like we do everyday.  I do like that the site is a lot more the just bbq.  love the mad scientist thing and all the pizzas coming out.  it is the best forum around.  and, we got all the cool ppl anyway.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »
T, can you reveal information about the new site such as what platform, will it be single sign-on relation between LTBBQ and the new site.

It seems that there are quite a few members of LTBBQ that are happy with the name as it is, and i can't argue with the fact that sites one visits and becomes fond of are much like that old favorite sweatshirt - you don't want a new one.  Looking at it from another angle, have you thought of naming the new site to be more aligned with this one - some kind of a name like The LTBBQ Outdoor Cooking Digest, or The Outdoor Cooking Digest by LTBBQ - might also result in positive SEO