Author Topic: My loving wife got me...  (Read 2198 times)

Offline dawrecknq

My loving wife got me...
« Reply #-1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
 4800 Food Saver for my Christmas present. I am really excited!!! Anyone have suggestions on accessories or uses. Reading about the cannisters on their website...revealed a whole lot of negative feed back..any opinions here?
http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/FSFSSL4865-DTC.html#start=4&sz=12
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: My loving wife got me...
« on: December 24, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
I don't know about that unit, but I can tell you when I was looking at vacuum sealers it seemed like they all had a ton of negative feedback including the one I got (and have been perfectly happy with).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
If you go by reviews for everything out there, youll never buy anything. ;) My wife got me a food saver brand vac sealer 2 years ago and I haven't had any trouble with it. I use it all the time. It too had some bad reviews. Mine also brought the hose fitting for the canisters but ive never gotten around to getting them. good luck.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
The unit has overall rating of 4 or 5... I was looking at some of the vac canisters for storing my dry rubs and ingredients in...they got very bad reviews. The majority mention cracking problems and this was overwhelming. I take many reviews with a grain of sand..and look at them more to get an overall feeling for the product. I have been sold on the FS unit for a long time and have wanted one!!! Got to run to store and get some steaks to vacbag marinade!!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
I have the 3840 and really like it.  :D

My only advice it to wait for the bags to come on sale on Amazon. Someone will post when they come on sale.

Weston Vacuum Sealer Bags
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »

My only advice it to wait for the bags to come on sale on Amazon. Someone will post when they come on sale.

Yep. That is what i use. I buy the 8x12 bags  100 count. they work just as good as the expensive foodsaver bags for alot less $$$  :D ;D
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Albert Rivera

• Albert is a"Foodie"
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Enjoy your food saver, I have the V3460 and it has served me well.... you have a nice machine that will serve you well!

Merry Christmas... count your blessings!
God bless you,
Albert

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

Sometimes they run them at cheap prices on e-bay as a roll. So, if you plan on cooking for a while... ;) :D Go to an Office Depot or Staples, and buy yourself a paper cutter. I like the roller / cutter wheel type as opposed to the guillotine.  Then set it on the counter, and put a piece of tape on the counter along one edge - as a mark for your "zero point". ( This way, if the cutter gets moved, you can quickly re-position it. )

Then decide how long you want eh bags to be. Measure this distance from the cutter blade itself to a point that is to the  left or right of the cutter. Place a line of tape there. NOw you can pre cut as many as you want - at the size you want them. Seal one end, and you are done. This is cheaper than buying the pre-made bags. But, really only worthwhile if you buy a fair amount of bags - or if you like to plan ahead. THey don't have a shelf life, so….save now! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

Thanks CDN...these are the things I am looking for! I appreciate it!

Sometimes they run them at cheap prices on e-bay as a roll. So, if you plan on cooking for a while... ;) :D Go to an Office Depot or Staples, and buy yourself a paper cutter. I like the roller / cutter wheel type as opposed to the guillotine.  Then set it on the counter, and put a piece of tape on the counter along one edge - as a mark for your "zero point". ( This way, if the cutter gets moved, you can quickly re-position it. )

Then decide how long you want eh bags to be. Measure this distance from the cutter blade itself to a point that is to the  left or right of the cutter. Place a line of tape there. NOw you can pre cut as many as you want - at the size you want them. Seal one end, and you are done. This is cheaper than buying the pre-made bags. But, really only worthwhile if you buy a fair amount of bags - or if you like to plan ahead. THey don't have a shelf life, so….save now! ;D

Thanks to you to Tee; gonna stop in to Office Depot next week and look at getting that paper cutter. Ebay and I are very good friends and I will keep on eye for good deals. Appreciate the advice!

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
Enjoy your food saver, I have the V3460 and it has served me well.... you have a nice machine that will serve you well!

Merry Christmas... count your blessings!

Thanks AR.... I am blessed in more ways than I count! From my Family, my Friends here and the many things that God has done for me.. I am Thankful for everyone. The biggest blessing; the birth of my Savior that was born this night to save me from my sin! Merry CHRISTmas to you all my friend!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »
I have had my Foodsaver for several years and it has served me well. I got the upright model.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
A few weeks ago our Food saver broke down after a number of years on the job.
We decided to replace it with the FS 4880. We had some canisters from the former model and never had a problem with 'em. I have used the largest one when marinating. Just keep the seals clean.

I like the automatic features of this model.
Overall...very pleased.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
Jaxon- That is the same unit that I got. It sealed up my left over polish sausage from breakfast this morning. If you aren't having problems with your canisters....think I will go ahead and order me some to try. Do you hand wash them or do anything special? Thanks for the reply on the canisters!