Author Topic: Hot water bath for speeding up a sausage smoke  (Read 41337 times)

Offline CANNON-MAN

Re: Hot water bath for speeding up a sausage smoke
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
Here  is my rectangular tank that I use for my summer sausage. It is sitting on a propane burner which has a pilot system and a gas control valve that is run by an Inkbird temperature controller. It holds the temp within 1 degree. I run my water temperature between 162 and 165. I never go over 165 because I do not want to suffer fat-out. I run my sausage to a core temperature of 155 F for 10 minutes. I water proofed a couple of digital temperature probes by silicone the end of the probe and then heat shrinking two feet of heat shrink tubing . They survive well under water which will usually ruin a therm-ester temperature probe. I use air stones and an aquarium pump to stir the water. The bubbles that you see are just air. The sausage came out of the smoker well smoked because I have 5 different fans in my smoker. It is like a smoke tornado in there and it causes the sausage to get a very good smoke in only 2 hours. I have a separate smoke generator which is duct into the smoke chamber. This generator produces a three alarm smoke.  Because I only run my smoker at 140 F so I never overheat the surface of the sausage. I am just trying to get it smoked and not trying to reach core temperature in the smoker. I accomplish core temperature in the hot water bath. You can get the Inkbird off ebay for a very reasonable price. These temperature controllers would make great smoker temperature controllers.

http://
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:54:48 AM by CANNON-MAN »

Offline AndyL

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »
Yeah.......I'm definitely switching to a hot water bath to finish my sausage after cold smoking.

Consequently I have a stainless steel 5 gal stock pot and a huge turkey roaster to use. I'm gonna give the stock pot at 162 - 165 deg F a shot first, I'm pretty decent at maintaining proper temperatures in a kettle. I was a big batch homebrewer for 25 years and a professional brewer for 2 years. If I can't maintain the kettle temp easily i'll just buy the Inkbird digital temp controller with the waterproof probe and run the roaster.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge here, that's EXACTLY why I joined this forum.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »
Yeah.......I'm definitely switching to a hot water bath to finish my sausage after cold smoking.

Consequently I have a stainless steel 5 gal stock pot and a huge turkey roaster to use. I'm gonna give the stock pot at 162 - 165 deg F a shot first, I'm pretty decent at maintaining proper temperatures in a kettle. I was a big batch homebrewer for 25 years and a professional brewer for 2 years. If I can't maintain the kettle temp easily i'll just buy the Inkbird digital temp controller with the waterproof probe and run the roaster.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge here, that's EXACTLY why I joined this forum.

If you're not going to run batches of sausage as big Kirby does, you might take a look at a sous vide unit. Mounted to the side of your 5 gal. or your turkey fryer, it's like an all-in-one. It heats, circulates, and maintains temperature, and costs just a little more than an Inkbird. I have an Igloo type insulated cooler that I matched to my sous vide. (I have an Anova SV) With the insulated cooler, I can quadruple the recommended volume that my unit is rated for, and it will easily maintain the set temperature, especially in the 165F range. I'm a home brewer also, and have several 30 gal. Blichmann pots. It would be easy to insulate one of those for use with a SV for a larger batch of sausage.

Offline AndyL

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »

you might take a look at a sous vide unit. Mounted to the side of your 5 gal. or your turkey fryer, it's like an all-in-one. It heats, circulates, and maintains temperature, and costs just a little more than an Inkbird. I have an Igloo type insulated cooler that I matched to my sous vide. (I have an Anova SV)

Sounds like another great idea! Can you recommend exactly  what particular model Anova unit I might need for this size project?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
I do hot water baths for some sausages using a Dorkfood Sous vide controller with an electric roaster.   It's a nice gentle way to finish off sausages, and keeps them nice and plump.   I do prefer running it at 155° (as opposed to 160° -165°), though, as it brings them up to temp a little more gently and lessens the chance of fat out with sausages.  I pull the sausages off at an i.t. of 152° and follow with an ice water bath.

An Annova circulator with a nice sized tub should work great!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »

you might take a look at a sous vide unit. Mounted to the side of your 5 gal. or your turkey fryer, it's like an all-in-one. It heats, circulates, and maintains temperature, and costs just a little more than an Inkbird. I have an Igloo type insulated cooler that I matched to my sous vide. (I have an Anova SV)

Sounds like another great idea! Can you recommend exactly  what particular model Anova unit I might need for this size project?

Andy
I have the Anova model ASVPIPE 1.2. It has 1050 watt element. I think mine is rated to maintain temp. of 6 gals. of H2O up to 211F. With the insulated cooler, it's capacity far exceeds that. I gave my son-in-law the Anova Nano for Xmas and he loves it. It has a lower wattage output that mine, but he only uses it in the kitchen. I'm not sure if they still make my model. I would do some due diligence on length, the longer from side clamp to bottom of the unit would more advantageous for this application. My s-i-l bought the same cooler I did for his Nano, and it's too short to work like mine does. Anova has one of the highest ratings for onboard computer/controller in the studies I've read. Joule's Chefsteps also rates highly, and I see that InstantPot now has one. Some can only be operated by cell phone app, so that may be a consideration too. One complaint that I've heard is that steam can make the controller go wonky-easy fix- cover the container with Saran Wrap or a cover. It also looks like the pricing has gone up. Must be getting popular. I originally paid around $90 for mine, $70 for the Nano. They're both well over that now. Anova does run periodic sales, and you can get them for a pretty decent price. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they announce their sales. Here's one rating review. There's others too.    https://www.village-bakery.com/best-sous-vide-machines/

Offline CANNON-MAN

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
All of the above ideas are great. I especially like the cooler idea because of the insulation of the cooler. This would allow a smaller heater do so much more volume.
 I do such large batches that when I put 80-90 pounds of sausage in the bath it takes a good sized burner to warm the water back up. My large tank has three burners under it. 
If you use a turkey roaster you need to provide some sort of circulation because the sides of the roaster will get much hotter then the middle of the roaster. You will suffer fat out in any sausage that next to the sides of the roaster. Another thought. When you do meat sticks in collagen casings you could seal them into a long vacuum seal bag that could be placed into the hot water bath with out any damage to the casings.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
[quoteCANNON-MAN]If you use a turkey roaster you need to provide some sort of circulation because the sides of the roaster will get much hotter then the middle of the roaster. You will suffer fat out in any sausage that next to the sides of the roaster.[/quote]

I've thought about using an aquarium air pump and a couple air stones for circulation, but honestly I've never needed them.  So far all I've ever done is to stir the water & sausages around every few minutes.  Doing that, along with the lower temp of 155°, I've never ever had a fat out in any sausages at all.  Not even with all-beef hot dogs which are a lot more sensitive to fat out.

Getting good protein extraction during the mixing also makes a huge difference in preventing fat-out.
<><
Member #68

Offline CANNON-MAN

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
If you are doing pork based sausages of larger diameter it is going to take longer to reach core temperature. Yes you can stand there and stir the water but you could be there a while. Remember pork fat melts at lower temperatures then beef fat. One of my friends just set up a bent copper tube that sits next to the outside edges of his roaster and drilled some very small holes in it and has it hooked up to a small aquarium pump.. It works fine and he never suffers any fat out. Tenthunter if you don't mind telling me how much did you temperature controller cost.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
Kirby, the Dorkfood controller ran around $100 and can be used with any roaster, slow cooker, etc. (up to 1,000 watts if memory serves), as long as it has a regular analog type controller (it won't work with digitally controlled cookers).  It utilizes a PID controller, so once the water is up to temp it holds an extremely accurate temperature with very minute temp swings (usually +/- 1°).  The first time I used it for finishing sausages, and saw how accurately it held temp, I was hooked!

It was one of the first sous-vide controllers available for home use. They are sadly out of business now as there are too many circulator type sous-vide controlers, such as the Anova, available at great prices.

I appreciate what you're saying in your above post, and already have everything I need to do a similar setup to what your friend has done because that was my original plan. I may actually get it setup here soon ::)

Before getting the DorkFood controller, I tried using a roaster without a controller, and while it works in a pinch, it's much harder to maintain a precise temperature.  But with the controller, and being able to dial it in at a precise 155°, the method I described above has worked well for over five years, for many sausages (large and small diameter) with zero fat-outs.  Smaller diameter sausages, taken off the smoker at around 135° -140°, are usually finished in the 155° bath within 15 minutes or so.  And larger diameter (hog casings) are finished within about 20 minutes, so stirring every few minutes is no big deal. 

In all honesty it's probably a moot point, anyway. With circulator type sous-vide controllers available now for under $100, THAT is the way to go, and probably what I'll be upgrading to before long.

BTW... Here's a small batch of larger diameter smoked sausage (hog casing) being finished with the roaster and controller.

<><
Member #68