Author Topic: Redneck and Cracker and proud of being both  (Read 1169 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Redneck and Cracker and proud of being both
« Reply #-1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
There has been a tendency by many people in politics, activist groups, and the media (pardon me if I repeated myself) over the past  many years to speak and write derisively about the names "Redneck" and "Cracker".  I am damn proud to answer "Here!" when called either or both of these terms. 

Let me explain how these two terms came about and why I'm proud to be both. The term "Redneck" came about as a nickname for those who worked hard in the fields during the hot, sunny days and as a result of the sun's rays the backs of their necks were red. People took to calling these hard working folks "Rednecks" when they came to town.  So, you see the term represents hard working folks and not the ignorant, racist rubes portrayed by those mentioned above.

As far as the term "Cracker" goes it is the nick name of one from Georgia just as "Sandlapper" is a term for a South Carolinian, and "Tarheel" for North Carolinians as there are for just about every state.  Of course, with the mobility of the populace today and the lack of education about regional pride and history this type of knowledge has all but disappear except for a few proud sectionalists.  The term "Cracker" goes back to the days of mule drawn wagons when goods from South Georgia were transported by mule and wagon down to Florida.  The wagon drivers from Georgia would be cracking the whip over the mules in order to keep them up to pace with the whip making a "cracking" sound through the woods as they went.  The folks in Florida would hear the cracking of the whip echoing well before the drivers and their wagons were seen and they would say, "Here comes those Georgia Crackers."  That is where the term originated.

So, you can see why I am neither ashamed nor do I shrink in cowardness when either or both of the terms are applied to me. Terms which denote hard workers...of which I am no longer one.

Dee
Proud Redneck and Proud Cracker
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Redneck and Cracker and proud of being both
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
Definitely a 'neck, but not a cracker (but just as proud to be from "Pennsyltucky")
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Proud to be called a redneck, but I don't have a garden nor property like I used to that required me to work outside more than I do now.

I am most proud to be a native Tennessean, with the nickname of Volunteer. This name came about originally during the war of 1812, and particularly during the Battle of New Orleans, when a great number of Tennesseans volunteered to go with Andrew Jackson to fight the British there. I wanted to share this because yesterday was the 199th anniversary of the battle. Every year The Hermitage (home of President Andrew Jackson) gives free admission to everyone on January 8th to commemorate his success in battle.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
Always been a redneck and always will be.   Even though my family came from north of the Mason Dixon line I was born and raised in the South and I plan to stay here for the rest of my days!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
Never been called a Red Neck but believe in putting in a good days work ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
CDN, Ain't 'nough sun up there to get a red neck.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm with you, Dee.

Since I have retired (working in a professional office environment) I have found more LABOR  awaits me here around the house - Deb is now the "cracker" at our house, keepin' this mule workin',  though the neighbors can't hear the sound of her whip.

Last summer I kept a red neck with all the outdoor cookin' and yard work that I enjoyed.  I hope to enjoy more of the same when Springtime arrives.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
I'm with you, Dee.

Since I have retired (working in a professional office environment) I have found more LABOR  awaits me here around the house - Deb is now the "cracker" at our house, keepin' this mule workin',  though the neighbors can't hear the sound of her whip.

Last summer I kept a red neck with all the outdoor cookin' and yard work that I enjoyed.  I hope to enjoy more of the same when Springtime arrives.

Jack, I have retired 3 times and keep going back to work because I find I am working harder at home being retired than I worked at a job. I cut back to 3 days a week the first of last year so now I am working 3 days a week at Academy and 4 days at home.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
Sorry... just a Yankee here. Born in Connecticut and raised (via China and other destinations) in Massachusetts.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
No need to apologize for being a "yankee"  -  it's just a whole nutha experience bein' in the South...and bein' BORN in the South, well, that's just special...bless my heart.
<><

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
Dee, what you're ignoring is that as times change so does word meaning.  It typically changes based on common use.  I don't always like or agree with the meaning changes but I'm relatively powerless to stop it.

As an example, when you and I were young I might have said that you are unusually gay today.  We know that I would have meant that you were keenly alive and exuberant.  It means something totally different today.

So...if you say "Here!" when someone calls you redneck or cracker make certain that you qualify it as based on the historical definition.

But I'm just a Yankee...so what do I know.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
Dee, what you're ignoring is that as times change so does word meaning.  It typically changes based on common use.  I don't always like or agree with the meaning changes but I'm relatively powerless to stop it.

As an example, when you and I were young I might have said that you are unusually gay today.  We know that I would have meant that you were keenly alive and exuberant.  It means something totally different today.

So...if you say "Here!" when someone calls you redneck or cracker make certain that you qualify it as based on the historical definition.

But I'm just a Yankee...so what do I know.

I have to agree here about the meanings changing. I am a proud redneck and will never change that.  I know from where I used to live out west
"cracker" there is described as a "white person" by certain groups and it has nothing to do with cracking a whip.  But hey, I guess I am really a redneck cracker and really proud of that fact.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
Jeff Foxworthy probably had a lot to do with the views folks have of rednecks...but I still laugh out loud when I hear his list.
<><

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
Been a 'Redneck' for decades now ... not from all that hard work in the fields but from doing all that golfing!! ... I've had me one of those farmer's tan for a lot of years now  :D  :D  ;)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »
Yep! Proud Redneck here!

Redneck = strong family values, hard working, and down to earth ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven