Author Topic: iGrillmini  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #-1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
After searching LTBBQ, it appears there is no thread on the new iDevice: iGrillmini

As I received my unit for Christmas, I'll get things kicked off. Mind you, I own the original two-probe iGrill and have been using it with good success for what feels like a year. When I decided to order the mini for two reasons.
1. I often only need to monitor one item
2. The original iGrill EATS batteries
3. I don't happen to have an ambient temp probe; received one for Christmas this year - woot!
4. iGrillmini claims 150hrs battery life (that would be a rather long low and slow cook) :-)

After opening my mini, I was initially struck by it's size. The unit comes with a magnetic base which has a rubber coating, a single probe wrapped around a cord manager which is magnetic. The unit and base can be stored on the cord manager.

Looking straight on the mini, it resembles a rather sold looking device. However, removed from the base, the red plastic of the case looks rather cheap, not like a $39 device. The probe (included) does have an insulated jacket at the curve for easy handling.

The unit is powered by 3v coin-cell battery (maxell CR2032) and my first worry would be having a spare when the battery dies during a cook. As a big fan of rechargeable batteries, this setup only works if we truly get 150 hours of usage from a full charge. Which, brings me to my very first "rub" against iDevices. Upon power up and sync with the new iDevice APP (via iPhone), battery status is reading 60%  :(  Now, at time of packaging, a small white slip of paper is inserted under the battery to prevent contact with the negative terminal. So, if the battery has lost 40% of it's charge just sitting in the device doing nothing...well, there are going to be a ton of honked off folks.

The unit pairs via bluetooth, so I assumed you do the pairing via iPhone settings. However, with the mini, you must download a new app called "iDevices Connected". Upon launch of this app, the mini is detected and paired. As the app can only be paired with a single device at once, I simply turned my BT radio off on the phone and my mini showed up on the iPad running iDevices Connected. 

This revealed the first "strange" observation. You may recall, I stated the app running on the iPhone indicated battery status at 60%, right? Well, the app running on my iPad now states the battery is at 40%  ???

Flipping back over to the iPhone running the app and battery life is reported at....40% Powered unit off and back on, connected to iPhone and battery back to 60%. Swapped over to iPad, now reads 60% 

Conclusion - Battery status is pure BS. I'll pull out my multi-meter and take a reading of the battery to verify just how much juice is available.

Well, Dog is begging for a walk, so I'll stop here and get a certain someone out for his morning walk. Upon return, I'll post some additional observations and the results from a test of the battery on my multi-meter.
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: iGrillmini
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »
Very nice write up! Thanks for sharing this info, and I look forward to more up-dates as you get to know tie iGlillmini better.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
Back from walk, dog happy, mini battery reporting 20%!
Setup: probe in hot cup of water

Powered mini off and back on and won't ya know, back to 60%

So, time for meter reading 2.79v or 93%

Now, I should have mentioned earlier, upon initial connection between device and app, received notification that the firmware needed to be updated. Proceeded with update right through the idevices connected app; painless.

Therefore, now that is is obvious the battery status is unreliable, silver lining would be the potential for a future firmware update to correct the device.

However, this does call into question the accuracy of probe readings. Therefore, out comes my thermapen. As everyone is aware, TP is one of the best tools, registering temps in blazing speed. I happen to have the fastest available, but am sworn to never reveal the color of my pen :)

Test #1 - hot cup of water
Mini reads 151
TP 149

More later, time to head out to sons ball game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:00:52 PM »
Preparing to cook with this device today. Interesting, battery status is pure junk a it is reporting battery at 60% yet my volt meter indicates 2.91v from a 3v cell.

Believe I will keep my thermapen close at hand during this cook!
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
Here is the device in action

[

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »
So far, no real issues
Graphic of temp over time

Summary screen, if more probes were present, they would be listed

Connected to iPad and I've been using the pad for other things concurrent to the cook
A few UI issues
1. App only runs in portrait mode
2. Placement of the "more" target at bottom can create conflict with iOS quick settings menu
3. Battery status is meaningless.

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
As expected, failure of battery status could end up with a premature shutdown. Needless to say, I will be submitting a full review on the idevice website too

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
While the device never shut off, the battery status indicated zero percent left.

However, a meter reading told a different story

Spot checking of temp readings aligned with what was reported on the device

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
At this point in time, I DO NOT recommend purchase of the igrill mini. Failed battery monitoring results in alarms and monitoring issues. I've used the unit 6 times and each time it alerts with battery at >20% and them >10% and then alerts that battery was 0%. Yet, placed on multimeter, battery still registers 2.43v on a 3.0v cell. Really too bad they can't get a firmware fix out as the device is nice and simple...

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Too bad to hear that...

Just curious if you have contacted iGrill yet and what was their response?

Might be you have a defective unit and not a firmware issue.

Maybe they will send you a replacement unit if that is the case.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
I purchased one also and would not recommend it

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
I don't have the mini but have the original iGrill... don't like it.

Limited range and very short battery life.

I've heard iDevices is coming out with a new unit... maybe it will be better.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Cinredman

iGrillmini
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
IDevices has acknowledged the problem here https://idevices.zendesk.com/entries/36165167-Why-Is-My-iGrillmini-Reporting-a-Low-Battery-On-First-Use-
Awaiting update to resolve issue.

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG