Author Topic: One thing I enjoy  (Read 734 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
One thing I enjoy
« Reply #-1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
   One thing I enjoy so much about this forum is the wide diversity of the members. Different regions and styles along with friendly conversations.  It widens our thinking on everything really.(Maybe even the banned and dreaded politics issues at times).   Mostly food, and joy of cooking and sharing food though.  Along with a mirage of cookers, modifications and methods available for review and discussion. 
  Smokin Don's "My South Carolina Bog" got me thinking about this today (Pondering you might say).  I have been lucky to work in and visit enough parts of the country to experience how much diversity and tradition there is everywhere when it comes to what we eat. 
  I really enjoy the old recipes and the old ways of preparing them.  Any time I go somewhere, I ask people I meet about this. I go to small local grocery stores where I may find items of interest.   I love to find a church or Fire/Police Dept. BBQ sale while I'm traveling.  Sometimes I even try the roadside vendors.  One I remember fondly was an old guy that cooked various sausage on the road out of Port Author Texas.  We would pass him once a month or so. He would always have several types cooking sometimes he would have crawfish, crabs and alligator as well. That was my introduction to Boudin right there...  He liked to see us because we would stock up on stuff for our two week hitch. After out first few times stopping someone ask if any of us had noticed there were never any dead animals on that road? HA! We hadn't till then! Never stopped us though. What ever it was, it was good...
 Every place has something special. The trick is to find it and see if just maybe they will share the real "how to"  with you. Something the folks on this forum do so well.. 
I hope to give that Bog a try this weekend or soon at least.   

I think it would be a good Idea for Tim to hire me to do a full North American food research project. Combing every inch of the continent looking for the old traditional recipes and reporting back on them. We could make it a LTBBQ special independent film project....   Wow this is a better idea than I first thought!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: One thing I enjoy
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
terry you right on, this site has almost everything in the way of cooking. 

As for the road trip, Tee would be there with you if he could.   I know get Kerry to work you hit the road as a writer.  You would be good at it
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
I can do both Security and act as a Driver ;D

Ya never know Q mobs ???
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
Great post Terry!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:41:46 PM »
I'm in Terry (as long as Tim is paying)!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
Terry is right about the food. I find that the old recipes and preps are the best ever. New is good, but I'[m an old fashioned cook. Can I ride along..I can be entertaining and I like food ..a lot.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Terry is right about the food. I find that the old recipes and preps are the best ever. New is good, but I'[m an old fashioned cook. Can I ride along..I can be entertaining and I like food ..a lot.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

We have always made a point to collect old church and community cookbooks at yard sales and estate sales. Love those old recipes. We lost a big box full of cookbooks some back to the 1920's when this *!#@&%$ POS LG water in the door fridge decided to turn the water on in the middle of the night and flooded the kitchen and leaked into the basement and ruined at least 50 of those old cookbooks. No way they can ever be replaced.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
... a full North American food research project...

How blatantly discriminatory can you get? I'd start a class action suit for the "off shore" forum members except that I figure your pockets are about as empty as Tim's travel research budget for people that aren't him.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »

We have always made a point to collect old church and community cookbooks at yard sales and estate sales. Love those old recipes. We lost a big box full of cookbooks some back to the 1920's when this *!#@&%$ POS LG water in the door fridge decided to turn the water on in the middle of the night and flooded the kitchen and leaked into the basement and ruined at least 50 of those old cookbooks. No way they can ever be replaced.
Ken..I have a bunch of them...every recipe has been real good..cause they only post their best..I have a couple of the old Betty Crocker book sets with 24 books in them..All ethnic books and I have a bunch of specialty books. My Romanian cookbook is out of print but I got a copy from a rare book finder, took about 3 years to get. I have over 300 and counting.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »

How blatantly discriminatory can you get? I'd start a class action suit for the "off shore" forum members except that I figure your pockets are about as empty as Tim's travel research budget for people that aren't him.

Now Turtle...that is not entirely true...I am escaping to New Orleans in April...because if I did not - I would have to go to St. Louis with the wife :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
Great post Terry! I also like the different styles and different types of food that are posted here. Some
of the great looking food I had no idea what it was until it showed up here. If I don't know then I go to
my dictionary (aka: Google) to find out. We have several old cookbooks that my wife has collected and I go
there once in awhile to find something I haven't done before and give it a try. That to me is the fun of cooking
trying something new and later on if we like I make it my own way by adding to or taking something away from it.
I'd definitely like to hitch a ride on your research train!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »

I figured once I get Tim's funding for the NA tour I could sneak in side trips here and there...  ;D
Terry "Way down in Alabama"