Author Topic: smelt  (Read 834 times)

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: smelt
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
my dad and i used to Catch them early in the morning and we fried  them whole for mid day snack  . we sat on the balcony with a cold beer .
ahh good times .
i miss him.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: smelt
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
When I lived in Minnesota it was common to don breast waders and team up with several guys to get into the ice water and drag minnow nets along the Great Lakes' shorelines.  The nets would sometimes get so heavy that that we struggled to get them in.  We'd dump the smelt into garbage cans, haul them home and distribute them.

Pappymn, are guys still doing that?

Marcia's parents were Norwegian immigrants.  FIL could clean them with scissors in less time than it takes to tell about it.  I think that MIL sometimes used a safety pin or maybe it was a bobby pin.  I don't quite remember, I was usually testing the beer.

We supplied many American Legion and Elks Club smelt fries. 
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Northshore

smelt
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 07:16:36 PM »
The smelt seem to be returning to some of the North Shore Streams.  Pretty scarce up here for many years. South shore still good.  Local fish market gets them and has them on the menu. Good stuff
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi