Author Topic: Franklin BBQ by the Numbers - Article  (Read 519 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Franklin BBQ by the Numbers - Article
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
I saw this article about Aaron Franklin & Franklin BBQ & thought it was a a nice read.

Franklin BBQ by the Numbers - Yahoo Food
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Franklin BBQ by the Numbers - Article
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »
I can't believe I am saying this... but it is just food.  Maybe I would appreciate the Franklin thing more if I were into hanging out for half of my day drinking beer, but I am not (I am being serious).  I can tend my own pit for that amount of time and feel like I accomplished something besides having "bragging rights" that I did Franklin.  I have had both Franklin and Pecan Lodge.  Both are very good, but even without the line I am not sure I would choose either over my regular hangout, Hutchins.  And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
Never been to Franklin's. Don had sent me a care package with a few bottles of Franklin's sauces. I have only tried the expresso BBQ sauce and I have to say it is really good!

Here is a guy that has proven the American dream exists if you work hard for it. He took his passion and created a successful business.

Billy I don't think he is necessarily serving the "best" BBQ but instead he is giving people an experience. People waiting in line to get food are there for that wait in line if they realize that or not. He has almost created an attraction, a really slow roller coaster ride if you will. Like waiting 3 hours at Disneyland to ride a 30 second roller coaster ride. The bigger the line the longer people are willing to wait.

And by limiting the amount of brisket he sells he is making his food more exclusive and special. He runs out of Brisket in 3 hours. Very smart marketing!

Nice article Cliff.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »
I agree Mike.  That was kind of my point.  Since I am not into that "experience," it is pretty much lost on me.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Got to give the man credit for his dedicated hard work.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
He is on of the nicest young man...he was here in Dothan for a bbq festival taping Pittmasters last year with Myon and Tuffy. I love his videos on Utube ....would I stand in line for his bbq ?? NO,but then again I wouldn't stand in line for three hours for any bbq,unless I was staving.lol  ;D
I do wish him well !!!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]